Black Ops 2 Breaks Amazon's Pre-Order Record

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
krazykidd said:
prophecy2514 said:
This broken record doesnt suprise me
walked into JB hifi today to buy a present for my father for his birthday. Get to the checkout, 3 different mums and their sons in front of me. and they're all buying black ops 2. and these kids would be no older than 10-12 years old.
Words cannot describe how much disappointment I felt this morning.
Why disappointed? I mean i personally don't see why 10-12 year olds shouldn't play the game . Is it just because there is a M on the box? I personally find those ratings bullshit and idealist , but that's just me . If these kids parents approve of them playing the game , then what's the problem?
We will have to agree to disagree, I just dont believe your standard 12 year old kid is mature enough to comprehend the context the game presents itself in.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
prophecy2514 said:
krazykidd said:
prophecy2514 said:
walked into JB hifi today to buy a present for my father for his birthday. Get to the checkout, 3 different mums and their sons in front of me. and they're all buying black ops 2. and these kids would be no older than 10-12 years old.
Why disappointed? I mean i personally don't see why 10-12 year olds shouldn't play the game . Is it just because there is a M on the box? I personally find those ratings bullshit and idealist , but that's just me . If these kids parents approve of them playing the game , then what's the problem?
We will have to agree to disagree, I just dont believe your standard 12 year old kid is mature enough to comprehend the context the game presents itself in.
Exactly , they don't understand . To them they don't see the horrors of war. To them it's just a souped-up version of cowboys and indians . To them it's just fun . I think that because they are ignorant to the context , it makes it less real and more make believe .

Forgive me if that's not clear .

Bindal

May 14, 2012
newwiseman said:
What I hate is there pre-order BS. You get Nuketown if you pre-order any edition but only get Nuketown zombies if you pre-ordered hardened or the other special edition. F#$% you Treyarch.
Actually, you get both Nuketown maps when you BUY any non-standard edition (e.g. every Digital Deluxe Version of Black Ops 2 contains them). Pre-Order is only for the Default Version.
And Nuketown Zombies is ALSO part of the Season pass for DLCs.

So, the only way NOT to get either map is to just buy the standard-edition post-release.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
Why so much hate for Call of Duty?
It's just a war time shooter game which people seem to like. I enjoyed the World War II games they made and I still play World at War now and again.
A lot of kids do buy it though - just today someone came in and said they had bought it for their young son.

It's one of those games that doesn't require 100% commitment.
You turn it on, you play a few rounds and then you turn it off. It's hardly the epic RPGs I imagine some of you play which can take numerous hours and mythology to enjoy.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I sort of wonder how the market keeps increasing every time a CoD instalment is released; I mean, especially during an economic recession, are we just hitting a population boom or...?

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
krazykidd said:
prophecy2514 said:
krazykidd said:
prophecy2514 said:
Exactly , they don't understand . To them they don't see the horrors of war. To them it's just a souped-up version of cowboys and indians . To them it's just fun . I think that because they are ignorant to the context , it makes it less real and more make believe .

Forgive me if that's not clear .
No no that's completely clear its a good point, but I believe its for that reason why they shouldnt play, because its desensitizing those kids to warfare that does not perfectly resemble modern day combat, but does a pretty good job at trying too. There is a big difference (I feel anyway) between playing coppers and robbers or cowboys and indians outside with mates with toy guns compared to a videogame resembling realistic combat

For the record, I don't mind cod on the sparing occasion I play it at a friends place. If it does well it does well, don't care, my disappointment may have been incorrectly misinterpreted as having a crack at cod but it was more so meant to be aimed at these parents

But when a mum buys a game for a kid that still thinks making a fake fart sound with their armpit is funny (mind you which one kid did while in the line with who I could assume is his brother, which is why I use this example) I'm sorry but I just don't think that's right, agree or disagree with me you can.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
TopazFusion said:
If people hate these games as much as we're led to believe, WHO IS BUYING THEM??!!
This website's following has a strong leaning towards RPGs and indie titles, so it's natural that you won't find much love for CoD here. As demonstrated by the sales, modern-military-shooters are an astoundingly popular genre, and the Call of Duty series is widely believed to be the best in that genre.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am not surprised, they seem to be selling more with each new game in the series. This will probably continue unless they make a poor quality game (in objective terms that is).

I have never been into COD, but I find myself somewhat envious that they have such frequent sequels yet do not seem to have many major issues in the technical sense. Then you get games like Assassins Creed where the bugs and issues actually seem to increase each sequel.

Nantucket said:
I imagine there are several reasons, although none of them are particularly good ones.

People do not like it, and for some reason people don't like it when others enjoy things that they don't.

Then there is the fact that it's so popular even the mainstream media knows what it is, which means that the type of gamer they see the most of are the COD fans. Seeing how the media loves to concentrate on the negative rather than the positive this means that they only pay attention to the little loud-mouth children, or the crazy people who queue up for three days in advance to get it. Which is another case of gamers being made to look bad in some form or another.

Then I think there is the concern people have that games like COD sell so well, developers will stop making other types of games in order to make COD clones as that's where the money is.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Legion said:
Then I think there is the concern people have that games like COD sell so well, developers will stop making other types of games in order to make COD clones as that's where the money is.
Which is kind of an odd thing to worry about. How many successful Modernish Military Shooters actually sell well? I can think of two franchises.

If anything, the overwhelming success of CoD and BF ought to result in devs having to find other ways to make money. Subscription-based MMOs were never able to topple to their monolith, so to make money, MMOs had to innovate (in payment models and to a lesser extent gameplay).

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Of all the CoD games, I was most interested in this one because it had that future-thing going on. Still not interested enough to get it, but atleast it's getting closer.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Beautiful End said:
TopazFusion said:
If people hate these games as much as we're led to believe, WHO IS BUYING THEM??!!
Kids.

Any other questions?

Alright, alright. So I see a lot of kids, tweens and teenagers preorder Blops. They usually go with their parents who are oblivious to the franchise and don't give a crap about what their kids play.

The "grownups" who buy the game usually trade it in like a week after they're done. Well, that's usually the case but it depends on how good the game is. like RE6, we got like easily 20 preowned copies of that game already. But when Blops 1 came out, you couldn't find a preowned copy for months.

That's my guess.

OT: Yeah, I won't be surprised to hear Blops 3 or MW4 will break preorder records. It's the circle of life. Even if the game sucks, if its CoD, people will buy it.
From what I can tell from my brother and his friends, these games are also popular for being popular. They play the multiplayer while it's still hot, and when the next title comes out, the previous one is sold or collecting dust with my Wii.

I'm sick of this fad, can't wait till it dies.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I'm not surprised. It looks good from what I have seen, but making Nuketown 2025 a bonus map is complete bullshit.

Arcade Hero X

Jan 17, 2010
Put it this way there not terrible games, The real reason people don't like them is because everyone gets them and they don't really change i mean look at MW to Blops 2 sure there are more kill streaks rewards but what really has changed in the past 5-6 years.

People are shelling out ?55 quid (+ this elite bullshit)for these things a year for the same thing they got last year with different maps and gun set.

Feel free to call me out on it but cods main audience are from 13-18 year olds its aimed at people who will buy it if there friends get it and when your in school if you don't have it your pretty shunned.

This game is for people with more money then sense and i am so jealous of you bastards!!!!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Trippy Turtle said:
I'm not surprised. It looks good from what I have seen, but making Nuketown 2025 a bonus map is complete bullshit.
Well, it isn't a bonusmap per se - it's just a map for everyone BUT the guys buying the game after launch in the standard version. (And even then, there is a good chance that at least in the first few months, you still can get a copy WITH Nuketown 2025)

Personally, I don't regret getting it (then again, I only had to pay 10? for the Upgrade from normal to Digital Deluxe), enjoying Zombie Mode a lot and the Singleplayer isn't too shabby either. Just the MP got rather borked up (No Serverbrowser, Treyarch? Really? The ONE thing Black Ops 1 did right without the shadown of a doubt - and you scrap it for BO2?)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
WanderingFool said:
DVS BSTrD said:
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g360/Unit-22/Thefucksnotgiven.gif
That gif is pure win...

And... to be honest... I pre-ordered for Nuketown 2025.
Pretty much this. My friends literally just bought Black Ops II just for the zombie campaign because they've gotten bored with how the Call of Duty franchise has become and they are huge Call of Duty fans.
Edit: Also I checked Amazon and while Blops II is the best seller the rating for it is 2 and a quarter stars.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
TopazFusion said:
moron kids under the age of 16 who have no concept of when they're being suckered.

well, critics even gave blackops 2 a lower score than all the rest, barely any are breaking 8.5

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Nantucket said:
It's just a war time shooter game which people seem to like. I enjoyed the World War II games they made and I still play World at War now and again.
A lot of kids do buy it though - just today someone came in and said they had bought it for their young son.

It's one of those games that doesn't require 100% commitment.
You turn it on, you play a few rounds and then you turn it off. It's hardly the epic RPGs I imagine some of you play which can take numerous hours and mythology to enjoy.
For me personaly, it's not the game itself. I liked MW1, WaW and even MW2. They were pretty good for what is essentialy dumb summer action moves. It's what CoD represents. The game itself is just the same thing, year after year after year. Multiplayer that is passable, if a bit imbalanced, with a tacked on 5-to-6 hour single plyer that sometimes tries to tell an iteresting story but is mostly just an excuse to charge 40 pounds for the game, supplumented with DLC packs and addons that could have been added to the actual disc before the game shipped. If it was just that, I'd dislike it, but I woudn't really care about it. The thing that I HATE about CoD, and Madden, and every other series that does this, is that it keeps working. If they just made one game and then kept that going for ages with extra content, like WoW or TF2 did, I'd have no problem. But I don't see why people are buying the same thing every frakin year.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Bindal said:
newwiseman said:
What I hate is there pre-order BS. You get Nuketown if you pre-order any edition but only get Nuketown zombies if you pre-ordered hardened or the other special edition. F#$% you Treyarch.
Actually, you get both Nuketown maps when you BUY any non-standard edition (e.g. every Digital Deluxe Version of Black Ops 2 contains them). Pre-Order is only for the Default Version.
And Nuketown Zombies is ALSO part of the Season pass for DLCs.

So, the only way NOT to get either map is to just buy the standard-edition post-release.
Ignoring my point I'm well aware of the other options for obtaining the additional map, at least after December when they will release Nuketown zombies to the season pass folks. The reason I say F#$% you Treyarch is that their misleading advertising implied all pre-orders would get the Nuketown map for both multilayer and zombies, by stating it in the advert immediately after mentioning the addition of zombies mode. One of Treyarch's people was on twitter yesterday apologizing for not making the info on the bonus maps clear.

The main reason I don't buy the new COD every year is because I know the publisher gets off on this nick and dime BS.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
prophecy2514 said:
Yup. I know the feeling.

I help out at an afterschool program at a couple elementary schools, and all the boys this week were talking about how awesome BlOps 2 is. I just smile and nod, roll my eyes when they're not looking, and keep my mouth shut. Even though I share the same opinion of many escapists when it comes to CoD, that doesn't mean I have to ruin the kids fun by stating my opinions about the franchise (even though I still don't like the fact 9 year olds are playing rated M games, but eh... Wacha gonna do?)

This really doesn't surprise me. It's like popular Hollywood franchises (transformers is a good example). It doesn't matter how crappy the franchise is, if its popular, people will buy/ support it.

That's just how the world goes.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
How many Call of Duty games do we have now? Nine? Nine Call of Duty games, and number one is still the best. Massive sales aside, that is not a very impressive record.

I have to admit though, I haven't played them all. After seeing MW2 I decided not to dish out so much cash to play the same game with different levels over and over again. It's not even like the graphics were getting any better.