Black Ops 2 Breaks Amazon's Pre-Order Record

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
What always confounds me about these games is that they make more money every time. While pre-order figures and total revenues aren't exactly correlated with total final sales, they're very good proxies (but high pre-orders could just be shifted early purchases from entrenched fans and total revenue could be the same, but shifting them from $60 standard to $100 SUPER AWESOME edition).

Which means it's fairly reasonable to conclude that, with every release, more and more people are playing Call of Duty games. Which means either more and more kids are hopping on the train (hurray, angry pre-teens!) as they reach the age where they can somehow acquire the game, or people are honestly deciding to wade into the CoD toxic swamp even as they see people drowning in it.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
JoesshittyOs said:
Beautiful End said:
TopazFusion said:
If people hate these games as much as we're led to believe, WHO IS BUYING THEM??!!
Kids.

Any other questions?

Alright, alright. So I see a lot of kids, tweens and teenagers preorder Blops. They usually go with their parents who are oblivious to the franchise and don't give a crap about what their kids play.

The "grownups" who buy the game usually trade it in like a week after they're done. Well, that's usually the case but it depends on how good the game is. like RE6, we got like easily 20 preowned copies of that game already. But when Blops 1 came out, you couldn't find a preowned copy for months.

That's my guess.

OT: Yeah, I won't be surprised to hear Blops 3 or MW4 will break preorder records. It's the circle of life. Even if the game sucks, if its CoD, people will buy it.
Ya know, that's not remotely true. Sure, an unhealthy amount of children play this game, but all my peers (19-20) are still buying and enjoying these games.

Off Topic-ish: I'm not sure if it's because everyone who's playing this game is terrible, but I'm really digging this game right now. It's fun. And it's been a while since I'v been able to say that about a CoD game.
Well, I'm not saying only kids buy them. Of course other people other than kids buy it, otherwise it wouldn't be that successful. But in my experience, I've seen a lot of kids buy Blops 2, maybe more so than the rest.
I mean, my friends and I also bought the game and we're not even teenagers anymore. Sorry if I didn't explain myself well.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Kinguendo said:
lots of crap I dont like to hear.
That doesnt sound to good from where im sitting. I thought Blops was one of the best COD games Ive played, so I felt secure in pre-ordering it.
I plan on getting rid of it before next tuesday, the campaign is interesting and TranZit on Zombies is pretty freaking sweet... but the longevity is in the Multiplayer and its more like MW3 than Black Ops. Shame.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Kinguendo said:
WanderingFool said:
Kinguendo said:
That doesnt sound to good from where im sitting. I thought Blops was one of the best COD games Ive played, so I felt secure in pre-ordering it.
I plan on getting rid of it before next tuesday, the campaign is interesting and TranZit on Zombies is pretty freaking sweet... but the longevity is in the Multiplayer and its more like MW3 than Black Ops. Shame.
While I agree with it being more MW3 than Blops, it has the good fourtune of not being as bullshity as MW3.

I only have three real problems. The weapon camos (hate having to get headshots to unlock new camos), the maps are design to basically leave you exposed from every freaking angle (which I guess is a good thing), and that the KSG is basically a rifle and not a shotgun (I mean, seriously, its in the name, Shotgun. I dont want to have to ADS with a shotgun everytime I want to get a kill. Im better off with a semi-auto assault rifle.)

Anyways, Im enjoying it enough to keep it. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on getting with the trade-in?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Kinguendo said:
WanderingFool said:
Kinguendo said:
While I agree with it being more MW3 than Blops, it has the good fourtune of not being as bullshity as MW3.

I only have three real problems. The weapon camos (hate having to get headshots to unlock new camos), the maps are design to basically leave you exposed from every freaking angle (which I guess is a good thing), and that the KSG is basically a rifle and not a shotgun (I mean, seriously, its in the name, Shotgun. I dont want to have to ADS with a shotgun everytime I want to get a kill. Im better off with a semi-auto assault rifle.)

Anyways, Im enjoying it enough to keep it. Out of curiosity, what do you plan on getting with the trade-in?
Keeping the credit until Hitman or Farcry 3.

Also, Dragonfire is literally unusable on Yemen. It gives you no warning, I got one out of a carepackage and couldnt find a single place to unleash it... including standing out in the middle of a street, which is possibly the least tactical position ever. Found that out yesterday just before I prestiged to see if it had any redemption... also, bare in mind that the community in any FPS only gets more cheap as time goes by as people learn what is and is not OP.

After playing Black Ops 1 and seeing the things they did with it, I just couldnt get back into MW games... they are so limited. So for Black Ops 2 to be like MW3 really pissed me off, so yeah... got rid of it today. The guy behind the counter was telling me how he got rid of his last Wednesday.

Also, Woods? You have played the campaign right? Seriously, WOODS?!

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
Hey Amazon,

I don't care if this game broke the speed of light this kind of thing is sort of expected so thanks Amazon for the pointing out the obvious.