Black Ops Designer Regrets "Second Chance" Perk

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I always saw it like a grenade launcher:

If you really suck, use it. If you don't suck, don't use it.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
You know, i never died to anyone in second chance.

In fact >.>; i think it wasnt half as annoying as ghost campers hiding in every corner of a map, ready to one-shot anything that walked within 30 feet of them.

I ran into a few people who even LAID on top of their own claymores.

Second chance never bothered me. Whats 1 or 2 more rounds into them to finish the job? I dont just fire 3 rounds and run off expecting them to die. I keep my gun trained on that body till points pop-up, or another enemy comes sprinting at me trying to commando lunge.

Aug 10, 2011
bjj hero said:
Anoni Mus said:
Actually Waw > Cod4 and BO > MW2

Gameplay is much better on 3arch games, feels nicer and not as easy as IW cods shooting a thompson in waw is much harder than any gun in cod4) the problem is the rest, like maps and community support.
Guess well have to disagree. All I know is that played waw for a couple of months then went back to COD4. I played mw2 to death, although not quite like cod4. I played blops longer than waw but still ended up returning to mw2. I noticed a lot of my friends list followed a similar pattern although a few went back to cod4 from blops/mw2.

Interestingly my kill:death ratio tends to be better on treyarch games though.
Just so I'm up-to-date on the general escapist consesus, COD4 was the pinnacle of the modern series (not COD2) in terms of best singleplayer/multiplayer? At least in combination. IMHO, yeah maybe you could argue MW2 improved multiplayer somewhat but COD 4 was the pinnacle of the series.
More on topic enough: Obviously I hate death threats for something as stupid as Blops. I caution people from generalizing when discussing the entire community.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
I don't mind 2nd chance. It's annoying I admit but funny too- without 2nd chance, a lot of people wouldn't have theaters to attend to pulling off crazy stuff in that stance (I uploaded a theater clip of me killing 3 guys in a row with 2nd chance.) However, I admit capturing the flag to help perks out was a bad idea. No biggy.

However, what's with the COD fan threatening to kill the producer? Does he have the idea that if he actually did kill him.. there couldn't be anymore COD games or least not to their best potential? Or think of it this way... it's because of this producer you have your game dude. Please don't make all COD fans look crazy, we already have 3 incidents dealing with COD fans.
Well, realistically you'd only lose the Treyarch studio. There's still Infinity Ward, the two studios alternate creating the game every other year. This way the game has a two year production cycle, but gets released every year.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
The only reason I hated second chance was when I was a sniper, and the person I shot would fall behind cover. One of my team-mates would usually wander over to my target, shoot the player once, and get credit for the kill. Maybe it's changed since then, but putting someone into second chance in CoD4 only counted as an assist, which made no sense at all.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
In the grander scheme of things I want to tip my hat to the Call of Duty franchise for making a game where it isn't just one repetitive deathmatch after another and putting thought into it.

Now that has been said... please stop doing it. The key to a good multiplayer is to have a balanced game. The whole point of perks is to give players advantages which by definition make it unbalanced.

Don't believe me? Just think of something like perks in a sports game. "The Tank" perk would let running backs be able to avoid being taken down for 3 seconds. I'm sure you can think of others. They can be gamebreaking (and rather frustrating for the victim).

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Why the hell does the CoD community seem most vocal about committing real life violence for a game? :(

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Don't believe me? Just think of something like perks in a sports game. "The Tank" perk would let running backs be able to avoid being taken down for 3 seconds. I'm sure you can think of others. They can be gamebreaking (and rather frustrating for the victim).
The perk isn't by any means a gamebreaker. It is really annoying and just shows how much the user sucks at the game but its rarely that big of a hindrance. In reality it screws over the other player because either A) The guy actually kills you or a teammate when he should be dead. or B)He's too far away and someone actually revives him literally cheating you out of a kill.

It's not too hard to fathom someone making a death threat over something as insignificant as a videogame. People make threats on BLK OPS all the time, if anything its funny. Since there's like a 1% chance they'll actually be able to do anything. Except that one time in England.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
GiglameshSoulEater said:
ToastiestZombie said:
GiglameshSoulEater said:
Well, if its not in MW3, the basically its fixed.
It is still in, but as a deathstreak. But due to the more fast pace you will actually see those quite a lot. The worst thing is instead of just their pistol they pull out their whole friggin primary weapon.
Then no, it is not fixed.
Not at all.
The first time I got killed by an enemy combattant who I presumed dead, I really hated it. Then I got it and jumped through all the repetitive and boring fiery hoops to get pro, and I've been doing it every since, prestige'ing all they way because it mostly just doesn't matter safe for the additional custom classes, which allow for better, specific responses to pick from in battle when encountering very specific threats (the marathon running ninja killer, to name just one).

So, no, I cannot chime in to disliking the second chance perk, and since it's a game for grown ups anyway they should have left the gun to the chin in as well. It's rare to just die of a stroke when you're just rubbing your bottom on the ground.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Vonderhaar actually made a Tweet about my Second Chance Song (in which Thunder screams 'VONDERHAAAAR!'), he challenged people to break-dance to it and everything :D

We (COD players) nagged him about it a lot. Poor fella :D
You ninja'd all your fans, congrats Gavin XD

OT: I don't have any CoD games at all so I guess that having him acknowledge this mistake is good? It's not like they're pulling it from the game, right? Meh, I'm still living with only two Call of Duty games and they are the original and the first expansion pack XD