Black Thor Actor Talks About Racist Comic Book Fans

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
These people probably complained when they based Nick Fury off of Sam Jackson in the Ultimate universe. Fuck 'em. Just ignore them.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
I'm pretty sure that Nick Fury was originally white. I know that he was black in comics before the movies but he was definitely white first. It's not exactly a new thing, is all I'm saying. Also, Elba was awesome in Thor and I wouldn't change him just to fit in a little bit better with the traditional canon. Things don't always have to change for the worse.
I think Fury is only black in the Ultimate 'verse, maybe one or two more. Of course, in the Ultimates he looks exactly like Samuel L. Jackson. I wonder why that might be...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm Swedish. So it's "my people's" mythology that this is all based on.

I offer a big "fuck you" to anyone who complained about the casting, because Mr. Elba was awesome as Heimdall. He's the last of the Asgardians I would ever want to see a recast for.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
evilstonermonkey said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
I'm pretty sure that Nick Fury was originally white. I know that he was black in comics before the movies but he was definitely white first. It's not exactly a new thing, is all I'm saying. Also, Elba was awesome in Thor and I wouldn't change him just to fit in a little bit better with the traditional canon. Things don't always have to change for the worse.
I think Fury is only black in the Ultimate 'verse, maybe one or two more. Of course, in the Ultimates he looks exactly like Samuel L. Jackson. I wonder why that might be...
Ultimate Nick Fury was always modeled after Samuel L. Jackson, yeah.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
As a man from Scandenavia himself, at first I was a little surprised at the choice of a black man for a Norse god, but then I realized that Samuel L Jackson was chosen to play Nick Fury, so if they could change canon there, why not here?
Besides, just by looking at that picture, I know he will kick ass.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Speaking as a white-as-snow Swede, I welcome any attempt to bring some variation to our dire culture.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I don't really give a shit about a black person acting in a movie, not against it racially at all, but I gotta say, I hate to see source material altered just so they could say "hey, look, our cast has a token black guy!". If they're casting an actor because of his skin color, then that IS the definition of racism, whether he's black or white.

Feb 13, 2008
If Hollywood is serious about diverse casting, how about they start with accurately portraying certain cultures before they jump straight to casting against type?

If we're getting so upset about how something might be seen as offensive, I've just the film for you.

Have you ever seen a grown man naked before?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Sigh) I hate those kinds of people. I really do.

I wish Thor could come down and smite 'em. Save us a lot of trouble.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Why is this a big deal? The Civil Rights movement was 5 decades ago. What, now Marvel and Disney can pat themselves on the back for having not one but TWO black guys in their movie? This doesn't make up for all the other racist crap Hollywood still pulls to this day.

'..we need to talk about it...' I've been on videogame websites for years now and it's always that same fucking lame line. Stop talking and do something about it. Besides, I don't think anybody on gaming site should have any say since the KKK has better hiring practices than you guys.

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
I find it often breaks the wall fourth wall to see black/southasian people (playing white characters in series set in medieval Britain/England like Robin Hood or Merlin. It's not that I'm racist, I just don't like blatant Anachronisms. Admittedly, we actually know little about the past so there will always be things that historians will say is incorrect. And even the existence of Merlin or Robin Hood is more fable than history.

But I also find it anoying when a setting is changed for bigger audiences like how they might change the setting of live-action Akira from Tokyo to New York and change japanese characters and roles into American ones.

If anything, I'm sourcist but I don't always mind it (if I just think of the changes as spin-off/re-imagining and isolate them from the source material) (Like how I see both Batman movie series as distinct takes on the comic source material).

With Thor I didn't have any problem because I didn't know the direct source material (I do ofcourse know Heimdahl from the Norse Mythology). I also discovered the asian guy in the Warriors Three wasn't asian at all (in the comics).

If anything with Thor I was more annoyed that they didn't go for scandinavian actors for the roles of Thor and Odin (including accents). Hopkins in particular was a bit to posh. But since it was based on a comic I see it as artistic license on artistic license.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
This is really sad since canon Marvel "Norse Gods" are fucking aliens, and not Scandinavian/Vikings.

I use to get mad at casting's when Hollywood would make films out of my favorite books, but I don't now cause these chars aren't real. They don't exist, kinda hard to justify hurt sensibilities when these chars don't freaking exist.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
Honestly, I don't know how to feel about this one. Normally it would be fairly easy for me to take a side over casting debates like this, but as a comic fan I can appreciate the whole continuity thing. Is Heimdall being black going to shatter the Thor universe, probably not, but it's an odd casting choice that was more likley to piss people off more than anything. Also, I can't speak for the entire African-American community, but I'm pretty sure none of us were expecting a lot of brothers in the movie about the norse god of thunder. Now if random white people start showing up at the palace of Wakanda then Marvel might hear from me.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I remember how people beat of Stephen Segal for playing Ghengis Khan.
Or how the wailed at that white dude who played the lead in Prince of Persia.

If we want to got on with that, please let the norse gods be played by norse people.
Nobody is talking about white washing, that movie had tons of rols for all ethnics in it. The female lead for example. Why does that have to be a white chick?

But if you accept norse gods with black skin, why not an interpretation of Huck Fin where Uncle Tom is just a poor white dude?

I give them credit for the fact that we are dealing with a very loose subject here, like ancient gods, depicted in a comicbook. That is like double-fictional and a long time ago. So there can't be any proof "Yo, they were white, alright", but then again, answer me this:

If a norse god can be played by a black person, how about a movie that depicts native african religions where some sort of deity or spirit is imbodied by a white person? Think of the reactions.

In the end I don't care for their casting choice, but I am confidend that this is one of these situations where Hollywood just can't do the right thing, because one side would always see reason to hoot.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
JuliusMagnus said:
I find it often breaks the wall fourth wall to see black/southasian people (playing white characters in series set in medieval Britain/England like Robin Hood or Merlin. It's not that I'm racist, I just don't like blatant Anachronisms. Admittedly, we actually know little about the past so there will always be things that historians will say is incorrect. And even the existence of Merlin or Robin Hood is more fable than history.

But I also find it anoying when a setting is changed for bigger audiences like how they might change the setting of live-action Akira from Tokyo to New York and change japanese characters and roles into American ones.

If anything, I'm sourcist but I don't always mind it (if I just think of the changes as spin-off/re-imagining and isolate them from the source material) (Like how I see both Batman movie series as distinct takes on the comic source material).

With Thor I didn't have any problem because I didn't know the direct source material (I do ofcourse know Heimdahl from the Norse Mythology). I also discovered the asian guy in the Warriors Three wasn't asian at all (in the comics).

If anything with Thor I was more annoyed that they didn't go for scandinavian actors for the roles of Thor and Odin (including accents). Hopkins in particular was a bit to posh. But since it was based on a comic I see it as artistic license on artistic license.
I can agree with you there. From a historical standpoint, not many would want Martin Luther King Jr to be played as a white guy for the sake of "Art freedom". But these characters aren't real. The movie is really only an adaptation of the comics, and not even a very close one. Wizard of Oz has been redone several times in some fashion, Star Wars has Steampunk/Western versions of it created. Maybe its just because those were made by fans and not from the source people are OK with it.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
For.I.Am.Mad said:
Why is this a big deal? The Civil Rights movement was 5 decades ago. What, now Marvel and Disney can pat themselves on the back for having not one but TWO black guys in their movie? This doesn't make up for all the other racist crap Hollywood still pulls to this day.

'..we need to talk about it...' I've been on videogame websites for years now and it's always that same fucking lame line. Stop talking and do something about it. I don't think anybody on gaming site should have any say since the KKK has better hiring practices than you guys.
U ma-
For.I.Am.Mad said:
this space intentionally left blank. Or was it? Yes. It was. Or... was it? Yes, now stop asking.
...Huh.