Black Thor Actor Talks About Racist Comic Book Fans

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Technicka said:
RDJ's role in Tropic Thunder was a satire of method acting. The whole joke was that he was that serious about his roles that he went and made himself black in the name of being authentic to his character. His use of blackface was a nod to some of the more outlandish things method actors have done. It was also taking a pot shot at Hollywood's lack of diversity - the pool of big names for the fake movie to pull from for ethnic actors was so empty that they had no choice but to cast a white guy for a black character.
Yes, what I'm saying is that the technology exists to make people look like a different race, why can't it be here? I really doubt anyone should be that angry that a movie directer wants his black actor to look like a traditionally white god from a region with no genuine connections to black people.

We've already done it with white people like them becoming a Persian or an Asian warrior, how would this be offensive?

Technicka

Jul 7, 2010
Warforger said:
Yes, what I'm saying is that the technology exists to make people look like a different race, why can't it be here? I really doubt anyone should be that angry that a movie directer wants his black actor to look like a traditionally white god from a region with no genuine connections to black people.

We've already done it with white people like them becoming a Persian or an Asian warrior, how would this be offensive?
I...wow. Just wow. You're serious, aren't you?

JMeganSnow said:
Logan Westbrook said:
It's an issue that people need to keep talking about though, because like any serious issue, it's not going to go away if we just ignore it.
Wait, what? Isn't this, in fact, the only way that racism will EVER go away? If everyone just starts IGNORING what race people are?

My policy regarding racism is this: if you feel the need to bring up somebody's race (except for esthetic-type purposes, the same way you might identify someone as being "tall and blond" or whatever), you're a racist. And you should stop.

If people do actually express some sort of racist opinion in front of me, I don't have hysterics and start shrieking about how they're a racist. I just call them a MORON. It is a much better and much more inclusive title. Plus, I don't have to think about what race they are in order to apply it.
Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Otherwise we'd be living in Utopia already.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
Technicka said:
Warforger said:

I...wow. Just wow. You're serious, aren't you?

JMeganSnow said:
Logan Westbrook said:
It's an issue that people need to keep talking about though, because like any serious issue, it's not going to go away if we just ignore it.
Wait, what? Isn't this, in fact, the only way that racism will EVER go away? If everyone just starts IGNORING what race people are?

My policy regarding racism is this: if you feel the need to bring up somebody's race (except for esthetic-type purposes, the same way you might identify someone as being "tall and blond" or whatever), you're a racist. And you should stop.

If people do actually express some sort of racist opinion in front of me, I don't have hysterics and start shrieking about how they're a racist. I just call them a MORON. It is a much better and much more inclusive title. Plus, I don't have to think about what race they are in order to apply it.
Ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Otherwise we'd be living in Utopia already.
Pretty much. A lot of policies and institutions that were created/founded during times where racism was more socially acceptable and (visibly) prevalent would still exist and have an effect, even if we never spoke of race or racism again.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
ReiverCorrupter said:
-snip-

You see what I just did there was construct an argument where my conclusion follows reasonably from my premises. Calling people pricks over and over again doesn't accomplish much.
And being kind only goes so far. There's no sense in skirting around it. This entire discussion has purely been an outcry over how the color of one's skin matters more than any of the other obvious issues this story has when compared to real Norse mythology. I can't be kind about that, because the people who feel it is an issue, regardless of which side they are on, aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. And frankly, I don't see why I should use "proper" language to explain this.

It's like the argument over using swear words. If you're using replacement words to try and soften the blow, it's still the same blow. You've just made it more palatable.

I think the real issue here is that everyone's so quick to be offended about -everything-. In your case, you agreed with the premise (either that or just felt like tidying up my post), but still felt the need to point out the words I used. Isn't it kind of funny that, in my argument to point out that bickering over the little things that don't matter, you picked out my use of the word "prick"?

Technicka

Jul 7, 2010
nukethetuna said:
Pretty much. A lot of policies and institutions that were created/founded during times where racism was more socially acceptable and (visibly) prevalent would still exist and have an effect, even if we never spoke of race or racism again.
"Would" Hell, they still are. Education in the US is still tightly wound around outdated racial policies. As is the penal system.

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
This might not be completely topical, but...

I liked Green Lantern better when he was black.

/runsawaybeforeIgetstabbed

nonroker

Aug 13, 2009
Well with the Marvel Nordic gods being aliens, there is no real reason for him not to be black. It might not be canon, but it won't be the first time canon is tweaked. Personally after the depressingly short run of Luther, Idris Elba is now one of my favourite actors, and I'd want him cast in anything and everything.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
still havent seen it, probably wont till dvd (not a big fan of movies).
i am insulted by the fact he's played by a "black guy"...i can also fly and am a flying purple panda.

seriously? this day and age, where females are (supposed to be) equal to guys and all races are (supposed to be) equal? *sigh* some people just need to get a life... or go back to their life long fast food jobs...because they can achieve no better...because their idiots.

though i was joking about the being insulted by the actor being black (i am actually offended by the people complaining), that flying purple panda idea would make a great avatar, just sayin'.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well from what I hear, the film is very different from the comic so I guess there's no harm in casting him as a black person. Having said that, I'd still prefer him to be white. I mean is it any better to cast him as a black person?

JuliusMagnus said:
Wow, a very good point at that.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
I don't know, I don't think this is any different from the people who were angry that half the cast of The Last Airbender weren't the race they were supposed to be in the movie adaptation. People enjoy their perceived authenticity yo.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I just saw the film yesterday, and I'm glad he was cast in the role. He was epic! I would have gladly watched an entire film about him without a single mention of Thor.
He was the mot interesting character in the entire movie. Damn your suave voice, Heim. It is said that if he wants to, he can converse with whales.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
JMeganSnow said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Honestly, I don't think that's really possible. We're always going to notice the differences between us and out neighbours, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. You can't have a diverse culture without acknowledging that we are different from one another. Personally, I think the key is not to ignore our differences, but to get to a point where they don't matter.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
All joking aside though, race in the media is a delicate and difficult subject, whether you're talking about the accusations of "whitewashing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91423-Avatar-Protest-Shut-Down-By-Viacom-Copyright-Claim]" in The Last Airbender movie - which is the casting of white actors as characters of color
Source: Hero Complex [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/05/02/thor-star-idris-elba-on-fan-racism-and-ghost-rider-sequel-but-not-prometheus/]
Ah so it's not racist to complain that you have Caucasians portraying another race, but it's racist to complain that a black skinned person is playing a nordic god?

You people make my head hurt sometimes.

To me, casting a black guy as a nordic god IS stupid, but then again I also find it stupid that Thor is blond and that the gods are just aliens with magical technology, so that really is just part of the problem, not the central problem itself. (Still looks like a good movie though. Gonna go watch it and see if it holds up)

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Technicka said:
If people noticing something irrelevant (e.g. race) is the problem, them NOT noticing it (e.g., IGNORING IT) is the solution. One need not have endless tedious "studies" about "racial issues". One need only stop giving a shit.

nukethetuna said:
Technicka said:
You mean like "affirmative action" and "quotas"? Of course, if you simply stopped asking people to list their race on forms, it'd be impossible to enact any of this b.s. Racism (and myriad other forms of assigning people to groups based on accidental circumstances) is actually in many ways a great deal more *prevalent* today than it was a hundred years ago, it's just called by different names.

In any case, I shall continue not giving a shit about race, something many people seem unable to do. I don't see any Objectivists around complaining that Eddie Willers shouldn't have been black. :p Now, should have been better-directed, yes. But I thought he was cute. :D

What's funnier, is that many people accuse Objectivism of being "racist".

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Latinidiot said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I just saw the film yesterday, and I'm glad he was cast in the role. He was epic! I would have gladly watched an entire film about him without a single mention of Thor.
He was the mot interesting character in the entire movie. Damn your suave voice, Heim. It is said that if he wants to, he can converse with whales.
im smelling a modern day chuck norris meme here XD