Blizzard Announces Diablo 3

Jdopus

Jun 13, 2008
I played Diablo 2 for quite a well, I'll agree with the above poster, hopefully they can do more to stop the cheating, I got rather tired of every chat channel being spammed up with item selling bots, doubt it though.

Still, it should be a fairly fun hack and slash game

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
I'm confused though...I thought the series ended with the glowing guy blowing up that magic rock and destroying...wait, lemme wiki this.
Not necessarily, in fact if you go back to the city after ending the game, one of the NPCs will actually tell you something along the lines of "maybe we will never have to fight again, maybe we're just starting" (aka, "we'll make a sequel if we feel like it"). The reasons are explained, although I don't really recall them.

The major issue I see is that Diablo, Baal, and Mephisto are supposed to be dead for good. This will either mean that the bad guys will be Belial and Azmodan, which are the two remaining lesser evils (the others were Andariel and Duriel)or they will need to come up with some silly excuse (I'm betting on this one).

And yes, I actually paid attention to the plot of the previous two games :p

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Xocrates said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
I'm confused though...I thought the series ended with the glowing guy blowing up that magic rock and destroying...wait, lemme wiki this.
Not necessarily, in fact if you go back to the city after ending the game, one of the NPCs will actually tell you something along the lines of "maybe we will never have to fight again, maybe we're just starting" (aka, "we'll make a sequel if we feel like it"). The reasons are explained, although I don't really recall them.

The major issue I see is that Diablo, Baal, and Mephisto are supposed to be dead for good. This will either mean that the bad guys will be Belial and Azmodan, which are the two remaining lesser evils (the others were Andariel and Duriel)or they will need to come up with some silly excuse (I'm betting on this one).

I thought when the stones were destroyed it only prevented the 3 of them from staying in that world, so when the stones were destroyed they all went back to their dimension?

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Fuck yeah, Diablo 3.

I played the shit out of Diablo 2 online, so I'm really pumped for this game.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Skrapt said:
I think any Blizzard game is worth keeping an eye on due to pretty much all of their games setting a very high standard of quality.
And alarmingly addictive repetition of empty actions. Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal. 10 hours later. Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal. Next morning. Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal. OK *yawn* get a life people.

BladePHF

Mar 24, 2008
Rezfon said:
Xocrates said:
L.B. Jeffries said:

I thought when the stones were destroyed it only prevented the 3 of them from staying in that world, so when the stones were destroyed they all went back to their dimension?
"Diablo III will pick up the story twenty years after the events of Diablo II. Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal have been defeated, but the Worldstone, which once shielded the inhabitants of the world of Sanctuary from the forces of both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells, has been destroyed, and evil once again stirs in Tristram."

I hope that answers that question.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
BladePHF said:
Rezfon said:
Xocrates said:
L.B. Jeffries said:

"Diablo III will pick up the story twenty years after the events of Diablo II. Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal have been defeated, but the Worldstone, which once shielded the inhabitants of the world of Sanctuary from the forces of both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells, has been destroyed, and evil once again stirs in Tristram."

I hope that answers that question.
ty that pretty much makes sense :p

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
I almost cried tears of joy when I saw this. I'm downloading the gameplay cinematic while typing. And configuring my new router for downloading using the shizzy blizzard downloader -.-'

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
I would like to see it on consoles if it played somewhat like God of War, but this way it's better on the PC.

Steven Rokiski

Sep 23, 2006
I played a lot of Diablo. I played a lot of Diablo 2. Before them, I played plenty of dungeon crawls, from Nethack to many DikuMUDs. After Diablo, I played a ton of Neverwinter Nights and Infinity Engine games.

Playing alone, these slowly became experiences on the level of "I'm bored, I'll kill some things."

Playing with friends, it becomes "Lets kill things together.", and so much more compelling. I won't bring up the cheating issue, since the only solution to it was being picky about who you played with (which I was).

I like multiplayer crawls and RPGs, despite the fact I despise MMOs (the only way to exclude the people you don't want to play with is to find another MMO).

The biggest question is whether or not Blizzard will let me play with others without a monthly fee. What motivation do they have, when it can only compete with their very own market leader, WOW? If there is no fee, will they inject inappropriate advertising, bundling, or branding (equip this sword by emailing your cable company to get G4 on the basic digital package)?

If they do, great; my friends and I will have a blast with it. If fees or other annoyances enter the equation for multiplayer, it sounds like this will be a readily disposable single player experience.

Also, if Blizzard is more or less the richest studio in PC gaming, I bet they could afford to let me download their trailers directly, without the bittorrent.

EDIT: If Warden is required by this, the discs won't get within a mile of my box.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Just make it clear that the Keyboard and Mouse need to be used to play (like to the level of Guitar Hero peripherals) and there shouldn't really be any problem.
We have about...four to five system updates till the game comes out.They'll run out of features and implement Mouse & Keyboard eventually.