Blizzard Announces Diablo 3

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Now Diablo fans aren't as crazy as people anticipating DNF - because now Diablo 3 actually exists. Judging from screenshots on Shacknews, it looks like it's a lot closer to being done too.

SonofSeth said:
I would like to see it on consoles if it played somewhat like God of War, but this way it's better on the PC.
Hack n' Slash (the "combo" kind) RPG? Hmm, never thought of that, that would be cool.

YuppySlime

Apr 28, 2008
Oh god I can't wait! Really I already posted here but damn, the anticipation is too much and the Escapist is my only outlet! Diablo 3!! Life has new meaning other than booze!

Nikita89

May 24, 2008
the screenshots just made me really, really, really happy :)

and the good old memories of diablo 2... aaaaaach...

EDIT: now i've watched the trailers :D i think i'm in love x))

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
i cant wait for more class revelations.
Same here. The With Doctor seems awesome, though he's not my favorite kind of character... But I'll give him a try of course ;D

Doctor Panda

Apr 17, 2008
I was just feeling like another dungeon crawler so I'm happy this was announced. I've had some good times with the diablo series - and the fact they're increasing the amount of customisation of characters is good for me. Making neat character builds was always a good part of the fun of diablo 2.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
If i may so...

anyone wan to start an Escapist guild/clan/party?

i had thoughts about this until i quit WoW for a guild but the idea of getting almost instant access to friends to party with (pun intended) who i know aren't dicks is appealing to me i the umpteenth degree.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I've been waiting for this game since i got fed up with Diablo 2. Which was the game i played most i think (in total hours), even more then World of Warcraft. Gameplay movie looks very promising, the Witchdoctor class however does not. Seems too much like a necromancer to me.

Anywho, looking forward to more classes being unveiled, especially the Druid.

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
I can't waitttttttttttttttttttttttttttt *hops up in down* I still play d2 fairly often in truth, I could never let all of my characters just die..or all my stuff go. *clings to stash box* Though I must say that because of the major gap between d2 and d3 I'm gonna tend to look at d3 more of a whole new game than a continuation of d2. I don't think it would really be fair to compare the two now. The possibilities of d3 can be almost endless as where d2 never had that chance, it was one of the stating points for games of it's kind. Let's just hope they make d3 so it's a new standard for all the new games to come.

^_^

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Arbre said:
Skrapt said:
I think any Blizzard game is worth keeping an eye on due to pretty much all of their games setting a very high standard of quality.
And alarmingly addictive repetition of empty actions. Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal. 10 hours later. Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal. Next morning. Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal. OK *yawn* get a life people.
I assume you missed the memo about pretty much all of their rts games.

Anyway, I hereby challenge you to find another game who can release Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal games with more polish and finesse then blizzard. Winner receives an internet, loser stfu's.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Steven Rokiski said:
The biggest question is whether or not Blizzard will let me play with others without a monthly fee. What motivation do they have, when it can only compete with their very own market leader, WOW? If there is no fee, will they inject inappropriate advertising, bundling, or branding (equip this sword by emailing your cable company to get G4 on the basic digital package)?

If they do, great; my friends and I will have a blast with it. If fees or other annoyances enter the equation for multiplayer, it sounds like this will be a readily disposable single player experience.

Also, if Blizzard is more or less the richest studio in PC gaming, I bet they could afford to let me download their trailers directly, without the bittorrent.

EDIT: If Warden is required by this, the discs won't get within a mile of my box.
Considering the first and second Diablo, Warcraft II and III, and StarCraft all provide free multiplayer via Battle.net, I wouldn't count on them charging this time.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Asehujiko said:
I assume you missed the memo about pretty much all of their rts games.

Anyway, I hereby challenge you to find another game who can release Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal games with more polish and finesse then blizzard. Winner receives an internet, loser stfu's.
I'm not interested in Hack Hack Heal Hack Hack Heal games, no matter the polish.
Hell, even WCIII became Diablo with more units and some buildings. I looked away for someting more interesting than loot and mindless power leveling.

Hawaiigm

Apr 11, 2008
Wait, they already made Diablo 3, it was called World of Warcraft. Or not. Wonder if they're going to make you pay for this one.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Hawaiigm said:
Wait, they already made Diablo 3, it was called World of Warcraft. Or not. Wonder if they're going to make you pay for this one.
You would have gotten away with it if you said "it was called Hellgate: London" - but nope, you said "it was called world of warcraft" - so I hope you have flood insurance, because you are about to get flooded with "you ignorant fanboy shithead!" comments and things like that.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Hawaiigm said:
Hell, your day has not been complete if you haven't read the Gamasutra article [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19213] yet.
It's literally incredible the leeway these guys get.

From initial impressions, the gameplay is exceedingly atmospheric and the user interface is clean - and its ethos is described as "...so simple you can play it with just the mouse." Wilson also focuses on a key tenet of the title - keeping the combat fast.
No kidding, what you see from the movie is slashing groups of stupid AI driven rabits of doom on morphine on and on. You bet you don't need more than one button for that!

Another important evolution of the franchise is the fact that environments will be destroyable - the example shown is a stone wall collapsing on a group of enemies, eliciting crowd glee.
Woooah, man, the evolution!
I don't know what's more retarded. The idea that this is considered an important evolution, or the drooling fans creaming their pants because the guy broke a wall.

So, sure, there's some obvious boasts from the game's creators, with Wilson commenting: "Diablo 3 will be filled with more story and quests than any Diablo before."
You can bet that the first one will be some random boring fantasy tale, and the second will be even more excuses to waste your life, grind and loot.

But overall, there are key changes - the game will, first and foremost, be a co-operative title, according to Wilson. While the designer cautioned the audience that all things can change before the title ships (at a so far unconfirmed future date), he does introduce the audience to a new class, the witch doctor.
Will they remove a class? Did they add only one class? Over all these years, all they can think of is putting one more class and more wacky quests?

Oh, look, it's co-op. Fucking co-op! You never played co-op in Diablo before. And how much will this game cost? Oh, probably enough to cover the cutscene budget I suppose.

[UPDATE: During a panel discussion at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational in Paris, Diablo 3?s lead designer Jay Wilson explained the much-awaited title would be ?one of the first games to? have a lot of replayability through randomness.?
Oh wait, like, you mean, random items, random dunjeons and plazas, and random monsters?
Hold me back! Hold me back I tell you!

See:

One of the overarching features that Wilson sees as doing this is the game's generative systems. ?Is there randomness?? he asked - ?absolutely there is" - citing random monster encounters and items as being a key part of the new game.
AAAA-MAAAAAAAAY-ZING!
And that's a new game?

The title?s epic scale includes being ?expanded by adding a lot of bigger... outdoor environments? compared to the previous games in the series, according to the designer.
And this is, I suppose, another ground shattering revolution. Hey look, you can walk outside and even fight outside now!
O.O

Wilson admitted: ?We could just make Diablo 2 again ? and the fans would probably be happy with that,? but went on to say that in order to be worthy of Blizzard and worthy of the fans, the game had to be a significant step forward.
?... so we decided to make Diablo 2.1, worthy of Bizzard.?

Usability and accessibility are also important to the team. ?Better gameplay, less carpal tunnel,? is one way that Wilson described it, and he went on to say that the game will be usable by the casual, while retaning depth: ?We have a saying ? if you can click a mouse, you can play Diablo.?
Less carpal tunnel? Who the hell do they think they are kidding now?
What you may trade with a loss of carpal tunnel, notably, say, by more saves, you'll get with more regular play. It's like alcoholics. The real ones, not those who drink a lot but occasionally.

Most notably, Wilson about an element of the game that?s clearly important to him - the narrative. ?We wanted to improve the story, make a better story, but not lose the feel that Diablo 1 and II had,? he said. ?If you?re interested in the story, it?s there for you.?
Give me a book. Or better. Your fans have been craving for a full CGI movie since years.
Bizzard moved from a cool studio to the equivalent of Lucas (no need for an evil twin).
You have to admit, how could they make new IPs if, aside from the large amounts of money grossed, breaking walls and a co-op are major revolutions for them!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
As one of my friends demonstrated, Diablo 2 was crack in CD form. I only played the first act of D2 before forcing myself to stop lest I become addicted.

I probably won't be able to resist D3 though.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Good for them, I guess. I'm not holding my breath though. I'd need to hold the box in my hand fresh off the shelf to believe it's going to happen.