Blizzard Restarts "Titan" Project, Won't See Release Until 2016

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The problem with Titan is that from the way it sounds on the developer end, they are building this game on the basis of how they can make the most money. World of Warcraft was a labor of love when it came out, unlike what some people might believe, as it was Blizzards first foray into Massive Multiplayer Online Games when the genre was still fairly new. Money was on the mind, but it was also about building an enjoyable game from both the player and developer perspective.

In a way, extreme financial success in the gaming industry is both a goal and the kiss of death for studios it seems.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'll be very surprised if 'Titan' even is an MMO in the current sense of the word. The last thing Blizzard should ever do is invite comparisons to their other MMO.

Because, really, how would you follow up World of Warcraft? How would you follow up an MMO that's been so uniquely successful that its very existence distorts the expectations of the entire genre? No other MMO has come close to being the fabled WoW-killer, and no other MMO ever will, except by accident. Not even one made by Blizzard.

That aside, there's a real risk now that this project will be quietly killed if WoW's decline isn't reversed, or at least halted. By any normal standard it's still doing extremely well, but I imagine Acti-Blizz have a very different idea of what constitutes 'success' for WoW. If they start panicking about losing money then the first thing to go will be expensive, unproven, stuck in development projects.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Aeshi said:
Oh goddamnit, I was actually looking forward to seeing what Titan turned out to be. Guess we'll never know now.
You know, back when this was announced, I figured something would cause them to either delay or just postpone it. I wish I would have actually said it back then, just so I could post this:

[sub]obviously, I didnt have the video in question at the time, but I would have put something there...[/sub]

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Sixcess said:
I'll be very surprised if 'Titan' even is an MMO in the current sense of the word. The last thing Blizzard should ever do is invite comparisons to their other MMO.

Because, really, how would you follow up World of Warcraft? How would you follow up an MMO that's been so uniquely successful that its very existence distorts the expectations of the entire genre? No other MMO has come close to being the fabled WoW-killer, and no other MMO ever will, except by accident. Not even one made by Blizzard.

That aside, there's a real risk now that this project will be quietly killed if WoW's decline isn't reversed, or at least halted. By any normal standard it's still doing extremely well, but I imagine Acti-Blizz have a very different idea of what constitutes 'success' for WoW.
It's human greed. When we were young and we got our first allowance what was the first thing we did with it? Run off and spend it all on something. After that caution sets in and later on the desire for even more wealth comes. Then we get more money and we end up doing the same thing as before. Eventually everyone gets to the point where it balances out, but keep in mind that Bliz-Activision has had the biggest of allowances in the world thanks to the success of their MMO.

At least, that is my take on the situation.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Probably an expansion to that silly online card game thing they released...The good stuff takes a while to develop guys...

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Boris Goodenough said:
LetalisK said:
Eh eh eh! I just wanna know wtf it is! Take all the time you want, just tell me!
Well it's a "causualised" sci-fi mmorpg, so take that for what you will :eek: but yes more info would be nice.
Can they really causualise mmos any more, I mean you are forced through tutorials for gameplay that a child could master, they are scarcely better then quick time events in terms of gameplay the only non casual thing is the amount of grind and most of them are getting rid of that as well.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
It seems like they came to the conclusion most of us would have come to without ever seeing the game.

A game in development 6 years is most likely going to be shit in one way or another by 'modern standards'.

WoW was in development so long (I believe only 4 years though) that it launched with dated graphics, this didn't take much away from the game but it still shows the problem with having such long development times.

It's all well and good thinking "6 years! wow, they really care about the quality of this game!" but it just makes me think "What could they possibly STILL be doing after 6 years?"

Games take time, I know, and usually the longer you take to do something, the more time you have to perfect it but surely there is a point where it's just getting stupid.

It would've been like starting a game using the frostbite 1.0 engine in 2008 and not finishing until it until 2014 - That engine would be on 3.0 (and would have gone through 3 iterations) by the time you released it... of course it is going to be graphically and technically dated...

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
If you've been waiting for Blizzard's unannounced next-gen MMO project "Titan," you may want to stop holding your breath. Despite apparently being in development since 2011, when Blizzard said it had assembled "Some of our most experienced developers" for the project, it now seems that the team has been drastically cut back, development completely reset, and the game's estimated release delayed until 2016 at the earliest. Blizzard chief operating officer Paul Sams once told us that "Titan" will "blow people's minds." I guess our minds will remain intact for quite a while longer.
I remember the exact same thing said about Diablo III. I guess I'm lucky that it told me after over twelve hours of downloading a guest pass on my old P4 that it told me that my video card wasn't supported. Very lucky.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Colt47 said:
The problem with Titan is that from the way it sounds on the developer end, they are building this game on the basis of how they can make the most money. World of Warcraft was a labor of love when it came out, unlike what some people might believe, as it was Blizzards first foray into Massive Multiplayer Online Games when the genre was still fairly new. Money was on the mind, but it was also about building an enjoyable game from both the player and developer perspective.

In a way, extreme financial success in the gaming industry is both a goal and the kiss of death for studios it seems.
Fortunately, they've admitted that this strategy didn't work well with Diablo 3, and I'm willing to bet that has something to do with why they're rebuilding it from scratch.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
My guess as to why? It was probably really similar to Bungie's upcoming "Destiny", so they had to do something different. Here's hoping Titan let's me play as the Aliens that wanna destroy the gosh dang Humans instead of just the Human forces! (Seriously, let me play as the gosh dang Aliens!)

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Boris Goodenough said:
LetalisK said:
Eh eh eh! I just wanna know wtf it is! Take all the time you want, just tell me!
Well it's a "causualised" sci-fi mmorpg, so take that for what you will :eek: but yes more info would be nice.
You have a source for that? I'm fairly confident that blizzard has said absolutely nothing about what the project is. I fail to see how repeating snarky forum snipes at blizzard as fact has any value. Dunno when Blizzard became the new cool dev to hate, last i checked Squareenix hadn't done anything redeeming to be kicked from that throne.

CriticalMiss said:
Wait. I thought 'Titan' was the Marvel thing they made...

And if they've got 70 developers off the project what exactly are they working on? Hats for Marvel Heroes?
Blizzard has never made anything even vaguely connected to the Marvel Universe. Marvel heroes is made by Gazillion Entertainment, not Blizzard Entertainment.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Smilomaniac said:
Blizz does it again. And it's a good thing; It shows that the merger hasn't hit their sense of quality. Whether you like their games or not, it is fairly indisputable that their products work and work well.
Umm... Diablo 3 launch? I don't know about indisputable.

I agree that their sense of quality is very much intact though. Diablo 3 was a hiccup, but still, it happened. World of Warcraft and Starcraft are giants in their arena's due to Blizzard's sense of quality. I think Titan will be something interesting.

I think the merger with Activision is something people equate with EA buying up companies and killing them, and those two things =/=

Activision from what I've seen has taken a hands off approach to a lot of the companies its acquired/becoming partnered with. I think Bungie's Destiny will be something great with little negative involvement with Activision.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
It sounds to me like they were working on the project the same way Bioware did with SWTOR, going great guns and throwing all the manpower they could at it, and then hit a snag. But unlike Bioware who just kept shoveling more and more money on the fire when they realized they'd screwed the pooch like some demented furnace stoker, Blizzard decided to say fuck this noise and start over. And decided to do so with a streamlined team. Could be a good thing, we'll just have to see. All I can say is if Blizzard does manage to make this a good MMO I'm hoping the nursing home I'll be in by the time it comes to market has good internet service.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
walrusaurus said:
You have a source for that? I'm fairly confident that blizzard has said absolutely nothing about what the project is. I fail to see how repeating snarky forum snipes at blizzard as fact has any value. Dunno when Blizzard became the new cool dev to hate, last i checked Squareenix hadn't done anything redeeming to be kicked from that throne.
http://titanfocus.info/_/news/rumors-leaks/project-titan-info-leak-esports-jay-wilson-blizzcon-2013-and-more-r65 and inside information, which can't be collaborated, although I knew this many years ago but if things get redesigned then all bets are off.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
walrusaurus said:
CriticalMiss said:
Wait. I thought 'Titan' was the Marvel thing they made...

And if they've got 70 developers off the project what exactly are they working on? Hats for Marvel Heroes?
Blizzard has never made anything even vaguely connected to the Marvel Universe. Marvel heroes is made by Gazillion Entertainment, not Blizzard Entertainment.
The plot thickens... Now I'm imagining them working on stuff they aren't connected to. I should give up this 'gamer' thing. I really have no idea how I managed to get Blizzard working on the game they never worked on, probably a mix of sleep deprivation and only half reading articles on games I'm not that interested in (Marvel Heroes).

At least 'gazillion' and 'blizzard' have a few letters in common.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
So they learned that the real money AH didn't work and they need to retool that. They also learned that the MMO market is changing and what worked for WoW might not work in the future. So the entire game has to be redesigned to be "more"

This looks like a good thing to me.