Blizzard Restarts "Titan" Project, Won't See Release Until 2016

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Blizzard Restarts "Titan" Project, Won't See Release Until 2016

The hundred man team working on "Titan" has been cut down to thirty, who will start everything over from scratch.

If you've been waiting for Blizzard's unannounced next-gen MMO project "Titan," you may want to stop holding your breath. Despite apparently being in development since 2011, when Blizzard said it had assembled "Some of our most experienced developers" for the project, it now seems that the team has been drastically cut back, development completely reset, and the game's estimated release delayed until 2016 at the earliest. Blizzard chief operating officer Paul Sams once told us that "Titan" will "blow people's minds." I guess our minds will remain intact for quite a while longer.

"We've always had a highly iterative development process, and the unannounced MMO is no exception. We've come to a point where we need to make some large design and technology changes to the game," Blizzard spokesman Shon Damron told Venture Beat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/28/blizzard-delays-unannounced-mmo-until-2016-resets-whole-project-exclusive/]. The team of one hundred developers who were working on the project have been cut down to just thirty, with Damron assuring us that "We're using this opportunity to shift some of our resources to assist with other projects while the core team adapts our technology and tools to accommodate these new changes."

Blizzard's current MMO, World of Warcraft, is notoriously referred to as the company's cash-cow, generating over $1 billion annually for several years. However, the cow seems to be drying up, with a significant decline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123855-World-of-Warcraft-Loses-1-3-Million-Subscribers-in-3-Months] in the game's playerbase over the last few months. Will this considerable delay of "Titan" affect World of Warcraft? Or will more people sign up if they think Blizzard's next MMO is still quite a while off?

One thing Blizzard's teams are not known for is their speed, second only to Valve in lengthy delays of its flagship games. Blizzard has restarted and even cancelled games in the past if it didn't think they were working out. The "Titan" project has never been officially announced by Blizzard, the codename itself was leaked by an insider, and the estimated 2014 release date was due to a leaked Blizzard release schedule. Could "Titan" become the next Starcraft: Ghost?

Team members shifted away from "Titan" will be put to work World of Warcraft, Blizzard All-Stars, the as-of-yet-unnamed Diablo III expansion, cinematics and Battle.net.

Source: Venture Beat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/28/blizzard-delays-unannounced-mmo-until-2016-resets-whole-project-exclusive/]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Oh goddamnit, I was actually looking forward to seeing what Titan turned out to be. Guess we'll never know now.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well now that they've admitted that Titan sort of existed instead of "we don't know, maybe it does" we'll see even a tease of it at Blizzcon? They've announced things at conventions that never came to be for years to come before, why not now? Even a few concept art to tease the idea. I think Diablo 3 was announced at Blizzcon 2008, 4 years before it was released, why not this one too? Something to go along side their other announcements. New expansion for all 3 main titles and their little pet projects.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Eh eh eh! I just wanna know wtf it is! Take all the time you want, just tell me!

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
LetalisK said:
Eh eh eh! I just wanna know wtf it is! Take all the time you want, just tell me!
Well it's a "causualised" sci-fi mmorpg, so take that for what you will :eek: but yes more info would be nice.

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
Hm. So, basically, midway through production they decided it was going to be utter shit, and had to start over from scratch?

For the Blizzard of today, this does not surprise me.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Wait. I thought 'Titan' was the Marvel thing they made...

And if they've got 70 developers off the project what exactly are they working on? Hats for Marvel Heroes?

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
CriticalMiss said:

And if they've got 70 developers off the project what exactly are they working on? Hats for Marvel Heroes?
I have never heard of Titan being related to Marvel at all, ever. Got any sources?

EDIT: THIS Titan is the one they're talking about. Not sure if you have it confused with something else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(Blizzard_Entertainment_project)

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Gregg Johnson said:
CriticalMiss said:

I have never heard of Titan being related to Marvel at all, ever. Got any sources?

EDIT: THIS Titan is the one they're talking about. Not sure if you have it confused with something else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(Blizzard_Entertainment_project)
Oh I definitely have it confused.

I was under the impression that Titan was the Marvel game since I hadn't heard anything of the project after they had revealed Marvel Heroes. And in my mind it made sense to link 'Titan' with 'meta-human' and it is kind of an MMO, so that was good enough for me.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
god dammit

I was very much looking foward to seeing what this game was all about and now we've got to wait another year or two. Sigh

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Gregg Johnson said:
Hm. So, basically, midway through production they decided it was going to be utter shit, and had to start over from scratch?

For the Blizzard of today, this does not surprise me.
This isn't new. They have done this for quite a few projects in the past, e.g. Starcraft.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
The conspiracy nut side of me thinks someone in ActiBlizz's board of directors has decreed XBone support is required and they have had to start from scratch.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Good move on blizzard part, it is very normal for software products to need iterative process that they are willing to commit the time shows they haven't lost themselves.

Mar 5, 2011
Well, I haven't enjoyed a Blizzard game since Diablo II and that Blizzard is long dead. Titan probably was turning out crappy so they scrapped it.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Whelp, seems like we're not going to be hearing about Titan this year after all. That leaves the next WoW expansion, the Diablo 3 expansion, and the next Starcraft 2 expansion, though. Announcing all three would be fantastic.