Blizzard Surprised by Reaction to Online-Only Diablo 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzard Surprised by Reaction to Online-Only Diablo 3

Blizzard's Robert Bridenbecker says he's surprised at the negative reaction to the news that Diablo 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312484335&sr=8-1] will require an always-on internet connection to play.

In my mind, the reaction to Diablo 3's always-on internet requirement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9055-Diablo-III-Hands-On] was entirely predictable. Whether as a point of principle or practicality, a lot of gamers just don't like the idea of being forced to connect to the internet to play a single-player game. But Bridenbecker, Blizzard's vice president of online technology, apparently didn't see it coming.

"I'm actually kind of surprised in terms of there even being a question in today's age around online play and the requirement around that," Bridenbecker told Battle.net [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/08/04/blizzard-vp-surprised-over-fan-reaction-to-diablo-3-online-requirements/] and now with Diablo 3, it really is just the nature of how things are going, the nature of the industry. When you look at everything you get by having that persistent connection on the servers, you cannot ignore the power and the draw of that."

He also claimed that the always-on requirement has absolutely nothing to do with DRM. "I don't think [DRM] ever came up when we talked about how we want connections to operate," he said. So why not just make an offline mode for people who want to play that way? "You're introducing a separate user flow, a separate path that players are going to go down," he explained. "And, at the end of the day, how many people are going to want to do that?"

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Wait,how the hell was he surprised,sometimes people just want to play by themselves and on the go (if you have a laptop like mine),Hell I would be pissed too if I was planning on getting that game

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
If it's not DRM then it's flat out stupid. Sure I want to play Diablo 3 online, assuming the RMAH doesn't fundamentally destroy it, but a lot of other people don't and taking that opportunity away for any reason other than you can make significantly more money by making it fundamentally harder to copy makes no sense at all.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
When you look at everything you get by having that persistent connection on the servers, you cannot ignore the power and the draw of that."
Yeah, but when you look at everything you don't get when you're offline, you see why it's a bad idea :-/

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Huh? How can he be surprised? Not everybody has a top of the line internet connection.

Sometimes you just want to play by yourself.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Yes, most people are going to choose to play online, but what about for the people that don't have a choice? If you're on the road, or your internet dies, or you just flat out don't have internet but want to play an awesome game?

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
I think they are just surprised all their loving cash cows are actually saying something negative about D3

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
"And, at the end of the day, how many people are going to want to do that?"

Idk, thousands of people?

Ocealot

Aug 3, 2011
I understand the negativeaty completely I should be able to play on my laptop without wifi bunny hopping or renting wifi. Hopefully (I doubt it) they will give you the option to still play the game whilst you have no access to the interent.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
It's still working or Ubisoft so unless people just don't buy Diablo 3 I can't see them caring or revising the idea for whatever comes next.

Halyah said:
Quite frankly if he was genuinely surprised by the negative reactions then he is possibly one of the dumbest people I've ever heard of. The fact that people reacted this way was inevitable the moment the 'always online' part was mentioned, especially after Ubisoft got so much flack for the exact same crap.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111951-Ubisoft-Says-Always-On-DRM-A-Success

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Alphakirby said:
Wait,how the hell was he surprised,sometimes people just want to play by themselves and on the go (if you have a laptop like mine),Hell I would be pissed too if I was planning on getting that game
Totally agreed. Either he's lying or (assuming positive intent) seriously failed to do market research.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
Crimsane said:
"And, at the end of the day, how many people are going to want to do that?"

Idk, thousands of people?
my thoughts exactly...

cant believe that they want to make this shit the norm...

Discon

Sep 14, 2009
I think the problem with allowing people to play offline with the same char as the one you use online is that characters would have to be saved on the computer, and then they could be easily edited to give you all the good items and an infinite amount of gold.

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
"You're introducing a separate user flow, a separate path that players are going to go down," he explained. "And, at the end of the day, how many people are going to want to do that?"
People who don't want to be shut out of their game when the internet goes down? Like, I dunno, EVERYONE?

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
manythings said:
It's still working or Ubisoft so unless people just don't buy Diablo 3 I can't see them caring or revising the idea for whatever comes next.

Halyah said:
Quite frankly if he was genuinely surprised by the negative reactions then he is possibly one of the dumbest people I've ever heard of. The fact that people reacted this way was inevitable the moment the 'always online' part was mentioned, especially after Ubisoft got so much flack for the exact same crap.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111951-Ubisoft-Says-Always-On-DRM-A-Success
Yes, 100% of the people playing online have bought the game. That makes it a complete success.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
He also claimed that the always-on requirement has absolutely nothing to do with DRM. "I don't think [DRM] ever came up when we talked about how we want connections to operate," he said.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/01/diablo-3-cannot-be-played-offline/

PC Gamer said:
If you?re finding this reasoning weak, you?re not alone. The more believable reason to deny players any kind of offline mode would be to prevent piracy. I asked Alex if that was the reason.

?One of them, yes.?
Ask PC gamer about D3 DRM and piracy.

Also, you didn't see this coming?? Maybe its not his job to pay attention to community reactions to things and just program the damn network, but seriously? There was a pretty shitstorm kicked up over AC2's ridiculous plan, though apparently according to Ubisoft, the DRM worked anyway.

Clearly a lot of gamers don't have the same priorities I do.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I'm not much a fan of mods, but I'm shocked that their refusal to allow those wasn't more of a sticking point for gamers

Regardless, I've no interest in this series. Like, at all. Nor do I have a PC that can run this game. So I guess they won't be getting mah money.