Blizzard Surprised by Reaction to Online-Only Diablo 3

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Jason Santora said:
manythings said:
It's still working or Ubisoft so unless people just don't buy Diablo 3 I can't see them caring or revising the idea for whatever comes next.

Halyah said:
Quite frankly if he was genuinely surprised by the negative reactions then he is possibly one of the dumbest people I've ever heard of. The fact that people reacted this way was inevitable the moment the 'always online' part was mentioned, especially after Ubisoft got so much flack for the exact same crap.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111951-Ubisoft-Says-Always-On-DRM-A-Success
Yes, 100% of the people playing online have bought the game. That makes it a complete success.
And like I said, unless people just don't buy the game (considering the foaming at the mouth seizures people have been having at the first hint of it) which seems incredibly unlikely, then Acti/Blizz will do whatever they want and thumb their nose while they do it.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
I'm surprised whenever I see "Game CEO is shocked at negative response from gamers". It's like, HELLO, have you been on the internet, like, EVER!?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm kind of upset about this, because I'm a big fan of the Diablo series, I was really looking forward to Diablo 3, but I can't support any game that requires an always-on connection. For one thing, my connection is too unreliable to make it practical (one of the reasons I loathe Steam) and two, I'm not willing to financially support a system that so openly disregards me as a gamer.

But god dammit, I want that game so bad.

Sometimes sticking to your principles really blows goats.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
It's not about DRM, it'd be about cheating the Auction House system they're going to be using, what would be the point of the AH being flooded with duplicated items from a single player file, this would also be the same reason for mods I assume.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
y are the ones making all the crazy money retarded when it comes to consumer reactions?

Sephren468

Jul 19, 2011
I pretty much refuse to buy this game now. I loved D2 but with this and the RMAH its a immediate no buy... If my internet or cable go out that means I am locked out of a SP game that I have bought....that should never happen... Fuck blizzard....

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
He's surprised? Seriously? I see only a few possibilities here. Either he's too stupid to put his pants on in the morning, he has no contact with the outside world and hasn't for about 20 years, or he's lying through his teeth. Take your pick. I'm going with option 3, he's lying in an attempt to belittle and make light of the concerns of the upset fans.

Hey, dude! I want to play offline. I don't give a damn about your online game. I don't care about multiplayer. I just want to put the disc in the PC and play without having to worry about anybody else's issues. I'm not the only one, believe me. Not everyone has multiplayer on the brain.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
ok either he is lying or needs to be fired for being bad at his job...

is it really that difficult a concept to grasp? we are probably still a decade or so from "the cloud" and there are probably a very large amount of people in more rural areas who either don't have internet or have a fluctuating, unreliable connection which means those people cannot even PLAY the game that they legally paid for. And lets not even begin LAN.

it was BS in SC2 but at least they HAD an offline mode and the fact that multi-player was highly competitive and an Esport justified the battle.net requirement a little bit. BUT a single player game? come on.

well i guess now that they are aware of it they MIGHT consider adding an off-line mode, so long as they keep it separate from the battle.net stuff i don't see any issues with cheaters screwing with the AH stuff (which out of the 3 things announced about D3 i was actually pretty ok with)

let the [civil] Emails begin to flood Blizzard's IN-box

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Way to keep an ear on the industry. *clap*
Its the same issues we saw with the removal of Lan and in the end I doubt it will affect the games sales in a negative way.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Who would want to do that?

He is aware that people dont always stay connected to the internet? While I think most cases of this are because of illigitmate acts (I'm looking at you people who steal their neighbors Wifi connection), theres plenty of legitimate reasons for a person to not be connected to the internet.

Ever been on a plane or boat? Ever been stuck in a car for an 8 hour ride? Ever been to Afghanistan, Iraq, or the Middle East for war (their connection isn't the greatest over there...). Have you ever had a really bad storm that has knocked out your internet? Have you ever been down on your luck and haven't been able to pay your internet bill? Is there no internet service provider in your area (Yes, that is STILL a problem).

You get my point. Although there a bit on the rare side of things, there are a handful of legitimate excuses for why you might not be hooked up to the internet.

Personally, I wasn't bothered by this decision. When they said you could buy power is when I decided I would stay clear and wait for Torchlight 2.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
1. Internet connections can be unstable, they can be turned off without you knowing (like when someone unplugs the router because they didn't check what they were doing... I hate when this happens), people can move house and go weeks without a connection. That happened to me last month and I know what I did - I played games.
2. Being online all the time costs money. Sometimes people have to budget, and monitor their data usage really carefully.
3. Laptops are portable, maybe people want to take their game with them? Not everywhere has free wi-fi.

There are plenty of reasons why people might want to go offline, and not having the option in a single player game is just ridiculous.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Vaccine said:
It's not about DRM, it'd be about cheating the Auction House system they're going to be using, what would be the point of the AH being flooded with duplicated items from a single player file, this would also be the same reason for mods I assume.
That explains how single player characters made their way into Closed Battle.Net in Diablo 2!!!

explanation - no, they didn't.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Please tell me Blizzard is not being this stupid. They've been at online gaming for 15 years and they make one of the worst mistakes you can make.
Honestly, having separate characters for offline and online sessions is a way better idea.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Crimsane said:
"And, at the end of the day, how many people are going to want to do that?"

Idk, thousands of people?
Exactly if my internet suddenly died out and stayed offline for days or weeks per say the game that i paid a lot for suddenly becomes as useless as a bricked PSP.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Vaccine said:
Then make it so single-player accounts can't use the trading function.
Sure, it may limit the game for them, but it won't break it.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Metal Brother said:
Alphakirby said:
Wait,how the hell was he surprised,sometimes people just want to play by themselves and on the go (if you have a laptop like mine),Hell I would be pissed too if I was planning on getting that game
Totally agreed. Either he's lying or (assuming positive intent) seriously failed to do market research.
Probably he just says he was surprised or didn't read any complains about SC2 and all Ubisoft games with always online implementation.
But they will most likely don't care because offline play doesn't bring the player near the ah - if they would care they would have kept offline mode (+mods) coupled with open battle.net and the closed battle.net.

edit:
Vaccine said:
You know, they seperated open and closed battle.net and could do just the same with D3 and if you really think it isn't about DRM and control of the customer you are pretty naive.

Javelk

Nov 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure he knew there was going to be a backlash, although they'll probably offer an offline mode within the first few patches.