Blizzard to Remove "Sexy" Tracer Pose in Overwatch - Update

Achelexus

May 31, 2014
"Damn these people take video games too seriously"

"OMG I'M SO SENSITIVE PLS REMOVE THIS OR I WILL CRY, THE DAMN PATRIARCHY RUINING VIDEO GAMES!!!"

In a nutshell.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
http://techraptor.net/content/tracers-shoulder-victory-pose-removed-complaint

Well Blizzard has issued a statement about this "controversy" and it looks like they had been discussing replacing it for a while now, just the forum post helped them decide. So once again alot of angry words over basically nothing

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. just wow. i guess she hasnt played dead or alive 5 and its extremely expensive dlc clothing that show even more of the female characters and are posing far more sexier than this. way way way more sexier.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
This was not the proper way to answer this threat.
The proper way should have been to add a sexier pose for all characters, and call it "sjw_bait".

Sadly, game developpers are computer engineer, not social commentator or philosophist-as-a-hobby. They're not really well equiped to deal with cultural totalitarism.

On the other hand, they still can be good marketers, and sell the deleted pose as DLC. And spin it into a resistance against sjw's mind-control.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
ITs amazing.. really amazing...

This would have put a tear in ol ronal reagans eye...

I mean for YEARS the religious right tried their damnest to control and censor videogames.. make them less sexy.. less violent.. less videogames...

They couldnt do it...

But third wave feminism and the regressive left? They do it with thundering applause! The idea that a 8 year old girl should play an online FPS is insane! You should neither let your child play competitive online games nor online games unsupervised in general! You are happy with your 8 year old KILLING fictional characters online by the dozen but when one of these fictional characters shows her backside THATS where you draw the line? What the hell is wrong with the US? Why do you guys have such a terrible relationship with your own sexuality?

This is the same bullshit as the PG 13 deadpool debate.... just because some parents are unable to be... you know.. RESPONSIBLE parents and simply say "No" to their childs the whole world has to conform to their needs.

And what do big companies do? Bend over backwards to the perpetually and permanently offended in order to gain what they think is some easy PR... and it ALLWAYS backfires.

Seriously do these developers have any idea what kind of atmosphere currently looms over the entire video game genre when it comes to cutting out sexy/provoking content?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
What I don't understand is why Tracer is getting singled out while more sexualized females are fine with the exact same pose. Indeed, the poster seems to have no problem with a character like Widowmaker because she's "in part defined by flaunting her sexuality." Just because a character isn't defined by sexuality doesn't mean they're forbidden from partaking in sexy poses of any kind (unless they're a nun or something). Let the poor gal have some fun!

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Houseman said:
The Jovian said:
Yes, screenshots are getting changed and removed, I don't care how many of them get changed so long as it's the only things that get changed
"They can take our beaches, so long as they don't take our hills."
"They can take our hills, so long as they don't take our towns."
"They can take our towns, so long as they don't take our bunkers".
"They can take our bunkers, so long as they don't take or capital"

Letting things like this gain ground only causes them to propagate and become more accepted, as with DRM, microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and copy-paste sequels. These things gained ground gradually. How many more times does history need to repeat itself before consumers learn to nip this stuff in the bud?
How needlessly dramatic.

No, seriously, how needlessly dramatic.

They're not taking away your bouncy titty games. Hell, they're not even taking the bouncy titty character out if this game! They changed one thing, and you're making it out like it's the encroaching start to fucking Censorship War II. Good lord.

There's nothing to 'nip in the bud' here. If this is somehow enough to stop you buying the game, then don't buy it. Problem solved. Don't have to stand around making dramatic sweeps that this is somehow yet one more step in the grand design of the Censorship Axis or whatever the imagery you're going for here.

...At least you're not going 'first they came for our titty games, and I did not speak'. Got sick of that shit last nontroversy.

Nemmerle

Mar 11, 2016
-shrug- It's hard to care, though if it's an optional pose I don't really see what the problem is beyond that they're trying to please everyone which is... hahaha, yeah. Mutually exclusive criteria alert.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Surely I'm not the only one that thinks sexuality is just as much part of a personality as their sense of humor, their past or their demeanor?
It's part of what makes a person, foregoing the chance to express it is a missed opportunity, decrying a character (or an actual person) as nothing more than eye candy is far more de-humanizing than finding someone sexy.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I can't say that I really care one way or the other about the pose, but I do get a giggle out of people being all 'First they came for the waifus...'. Does that make me a bad person? Probably. But I'm okay with it.

I guess it's good that Blizzard listens to feedback, but I'm still bitter about the fact that they ruined the female worgen when people complained they weren't sexy enough and now they look like derphounds.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Aerosteam said:
All I can think of looking at that image:

I was thinking the same thing.

OT-Homestly. I feel indifferent toward this. I guess it's maybe because I'm 50/50 at wheather to buy the game or not in the future. Even then one less pose is not a deal breaker for me.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Phasmal said:
I can't say that I really care one way or the other about the pose, but I do get a giggle out of people being all 'First they came for the waifus...'. Does that make me a bad person? Probably. But I'm okay with it.

I guess it's good that Blizzard listens to feedback, but I'm still bitter about the fact that they ruined the female worgen when people complained they weren't sexy enough and now they look like derphounds.
The problem is that we have seen this happening the last couple of months over and over and over again.

Pillars of eternity?

Fire emblem?

Xenogears?

Bravely default?

Street fighter?

DOAX 3?

And im sure there are a dozen more examples that have received censoresque changes because of tumblrism and SJW nonsense.

People wouldnt ***** so much if things like this wouldnt happen every other week or so because SOMEONE on the internet took "offense" and got their "feefees" hurt.

Especialy in this case its doubly insane because we have a Mother who apparantly doesnt even play the game be offended on behalf of her 8 year old daughter.

Her daughter that is 8 years old plays a violent video games where she murders 100s of other characters and yet a optional pose that shows off a characters backside is what she has a problem with.

Just food for thought: The game will most likely be rated atleast T for teen so mommy should get her account banned for letting a minor play it anyways... the only thing saving her ass is that the game aparantly hasnt received a rating yet.

So her whole argument of "wont anybody think of the children" is as misplaced here as it would be for GTA. Her kid is not suposed to play the game! She is to young for it. The game is NOT made for children under the age of 14.

Yet here we are, some pearlclutching failure of a parent once again tips the scale by being offended about her aparant lack of parential skills but would rather blame a video game company instead of taking a good look in the mirror.

And last but not least:

Its not the taking out that people have a problem with. Its the developer stating that this pearclutching nonsense was what tipped the scale into removing it. That they felt reinforced by their decision because somewhere, some mum thought that this optional pose, on this character from over a dozen or so characters was giving their aparantly easaly impressed 8 year old daughter the wrong image about women.

This contrived BS reasoning and this pandering to PC is what people REALLY take offense with. If you want to remove a pose because you think it doesnt fit the character: SAY SO!

But for the love of god do not further empower the egos of these pearl clutching, third wave feminist regressive authoritarians who want everything be custom tailored to their narrowminded puritan wordlview.

Jun 20, 2013
Do I particularly care? Nope. Am I really going to play this game intensely? Probably not. But from the looks of things, this doesn't really ping my overly sensitive sensibilities. Doesn't mean at all that it can't offend somebody else I guess. I'm not in some exasperated huff over the matter, I'm just increasingly confused by the 'rules' we're adopting for the current generation. It just feels like there is an otherwise rational adult bolting a sign over the heads of every other adult that irrationally reads, "Absolutely no sexy ... not ever." I just wonder where is the enigmatic balance between capable and confident, yet a fully comfortable sexual-being, and just all out demeaning portrayal? Genuinely curious?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Karadalis said:
The problem is that we have seen this happening the last couple of months over and over and over again.

Pillars of eternity?

Fire emblem?

Xenogears?

Bravely default?

Street fighter?

DOAX 3?

And im sure there are a dozen more examples that have received censoresque changes because of tumblrism and SJW nonsense.

People wouldnt ***** so much if things like this wouldnt happen every other week or so because SOMEONE on the internet took "offense" and got their "feefees" hurt.

Especialy in this case its doubly insane because we have a Mother apparantly doesnt even play the game be offended on behalf of her 8 year old daughter.

Just food for thought: The game will most likely be rated atleast T for teen so mommy should get her account banned for letting a minor play it anyways... the only thing saving her ass is that the game aparantly hasnt received a rating yet.

So her whole argument of "wont anybody think of the children" is as misplaced here as it would be for GTA. Her kid is not suposed to play the game! She is to young for it. The game is NOT made for children under the age of 14.

Yet here we are, some pearlclutching failure of a parent once again tips the scale by being offended about her aparant lack of parential skills but would rather blame a video game company instead of taking a good look in the mirror.

Game companies are listening to different sections of their audience now, and things in betas get changed. You can call it SJW nonsense all you like.

I for one, am not particularly invested. If it turns out ten years down the line you can't see a butt in a videogame without being arrested, then fair enough- you guys called it. Until then, I think we're fine.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Pluvia said:
She actually complimented other characters for using their sexuality and being sexy, so that's not her criticism.
Wait, you're losing me here, so what IS her criticism?
That it doesn't fit the character? how could it not? she's energetic and friendly, the pose conveys a playful and a bit of a flirty attitude, that fits perfectly fine.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Phasmal said:
Karadalis said:

Pillars of eternity?

Fire emblem?

Xenogears?

Bravely default?

Street fighter?

DOAX 3?

Especialy in this case its doubly insane because we have a Mother apparantly doesnt even play the game be offended on behalf of her 8 year old daughter.

Game companies are listening to different sections of their audience now, and things in betas get changed. You can call it SJW nonsense all you like.

I for one, am not particularly invested. If it turns out ten years down the line you can't see a butt in a videogame without being arrested, then fair enough- you guys called it. Until then, I think we're fine.
Well i guess the industry should have listened to jack thompson then?

Dont see why he is wrong when these people are aparantly right.

I mean: with your argumentation it was a complete non issue back then that this nutjob tried to enforce his ideas onto videogaming... why did people fought back against him?

Oh right.. because his arguments where total bullshit!

Also they listen not to their customers but to the perpetually outraged who dont even buy or play their games. Heck the mother said so herselfe: Its not her that plays the game, its her Child... she just decided to get offended FOR her child, a child who i bet didnt give a rats ass about said pose. And if you claim that i cant proof this:

Just look at the sales numbers of those walking simulators and artsy games who are supposedly all grown up and every SJW wet dream of videogames come true. They are abysmal.

These people preach water but drink wine all the time yet companies go out of their way to listen to them. ESPECIALY blizzard who never listens to anyone and pretty much made it their business model to never listen.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Karadalis said:
Well i guess the industry should have listened to jack thompson then?

Dont see why he is wrong when these people are aparantly right.

I mean: Sexy pose in a game will hurt my childs view of women is the same argument as violence in a game will turn my child violent.

So we better let 4kids have a go at the game before we ship it after doing such a wonderfull job with the one piece anime.

Also they listen not to their customers but to the perpetually outraged who dont even buy or play their games. And if you claim that i cant proof this:

Just look at the sales numbers of those walking simulators and artsy games who are supposedly all grown up and every SJW wet dream of videogames come true. They are abysmal.

These people preach water but drink wine all the time yet companies go out of their way to listen to them. ESPECIALY blizzard who never listens to anyone and pretty much made it their business model to never listen.
Well, you can't prove that people who complain don't play their games.
I complain all the time, and I play mad amounts of games.

Also, I dunno what you're talking about- Blizzard never listening? In my experience they have a pretty good reputation for listening to feedback (see: ruined female worgen).

I dunno, dude, if it's that important to you, go nuts. You do you.