Blizzard to Remove "Sexy" Tracer Pose in Overwatch - Update

Petter Jonsson

Mar 18, 2014
"From Mei to Zarya to Widowmaker the female cast reflects a large spectrum of personalities and player fantasies."

But being sexy is apparently a personality and player fantasy that should NOT be allowed. If Overwatch is a game about diversity and colorful character traits, why shouldn't "sexy" be included in the spectrum?
With that said however, there's still plenty of overly beautiful characters in the game (Widowmakers ass is the most prominent example), so what exactly is this posters deal with Tracer's pose specifically?
I'm not as outraged by this whole chain of events as much as I'm puzzled and confused over it.

Then again, as some people already have noted in this thread; it's just a bloody victory pose that'll hardly affect Overwatch or its visual design in any significant way, and I'll still play it and (hopefully) enjoy it.

Jan 19, 2016
Combustion Kevin said:
Pluvia said:
She actually complimented other characters for using their sexuality and being sexy, so that's not her criticism.
Wait, you're losing me here, so what IS her criticism?
That it doesn't fit the character? how could it not? she's energetic and friendly, the pose conveys a playful and a bit of a flirty attitude, that fits perfectly fine.
Her criticism seems to be that (in her opinion), a sexy pose doesn't fit (her perception of) Tracer's character. Widowmaker being sexy is fine however, as she is a "femme fatale". It seems odd to me, because it implies that characters should be one dimensional, and cannot have varied and even contradictory aspects to their personality; it seems they must be their set archetype at all times, and are not allowed to deviate from it. Personally, I see no reason why Tracer cannot be playful and sassy most of the time, but a bit flirty on occasion too, and not remain a consistent character. Hell, it might even add another layer to her character beyond the cutesiness.

Honestly, I think this really all to do with the fact that Tracer is the face of Overwatch and they want her to be squeaky clean, whereas Widowmaker is a less prominent character (and a villain), so the strictness of their control over her image and presentation is less pronounced.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Rathkor said:
Is this that old clip of her saying "I'm not a gamer"? Because yawn. If I say "I'm not a gamer" 3 times in front of a mirror, do all my achievements disappear? I'm not taking the risk!

But as I said to the dude above, if this is really that important to you. Do yo' thing.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
If Blizzard didn't want Tracer to look sexy, perhaps they shouldn't have designed her to be pretty, slender and curvaceous and then put her in spandex trousers. The pose is not inherently sexy, Tracer just happens to look good from that angle. Is Blizzard going to redesign Tracer? Thought not.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Rathkor said:
You said it couldn't be proven that the people making these complaints weren't customers. I provided proof of one of the loudest critics literally saying she was not a gamer, knew nothing about gamers, and had to learn about gaming. Seems to me that might be enough to convince anyone who wasn't being intellectually dishonest that maybe she isn't a game companies target audience.
Well, it's not enough, I'm afraid. Maybe that makes me an intellectually dishonest SJW-tumblrina-nonsenser. But y'know... I think I'll survive.
I'm not particularly looking to join the Church of They-Is-Coming-For-Our-Games, so don't feel the need to try and convince me. You do you.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
09philj said:
If Blizzard didn't want Tracer to look sexy, perhaps they shouldn't have designed her to be pretty, slender and curvaceous and then put her in spandex trousers. The pose is not inherently sexy, Tracer just happens to look good from that angle. Is Blizzard going to redesign Tracer? Thought not.
This.

Blizzard designed and modeled that ass.

They put that ass in tight fitting spandex.

These were all conscious decisions on the part of the people modeling the damned thing, but, nooooo. A backshot pose? Jesus, think of this one simpering moron's simpering moron of a child!

They may find out that butts exist and then, boom, they're off in the red light district blowing dudes and huffing paint. Please, please think of the children, Blizzard!

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Rathkor said:
Fair enough. Its not like someone on this very page listed off several games just off the top of their head that has had a group go after them and try to change them or prevent them from being released.

Again, why was Jack Thompson such a bad guy again? He wasn't trying to take away our games either, technically.
#1. You're wasting your time.

#2. Jack was a white male conservative, so he's essentially a mirror image totally different.

#3. Most of the people in here defending this kind of shit were 14 when Thompson was 'prominent.'

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
The post by Fipps is actually a good example of an alarmingly sexist trend that has been increasing as of late.

The post goes into great detail to list Tracer's positive aspects but then goes on to say the existence of one sexualised pose invalidates them all.

In a nutshell Fipps is saying that it doesn't matter what you do, or how good you are at anything else, displaying any form of sexuality reduces you to nothing more than a sex symbol! What kind of message is that?

Now I could understand the complaint if the pose was submissive in some way. That would arguably invalidate her positive traits, implying that regardless of everything else, she still submits sexually to an "authoritative" figure. But the pose linked isn't submissive.

It's tantamount to "slut shaming"

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
LostGryphon said:
Years of the same shit and, yet, still, I'm always surprised by the depths you lot sink to.
Houseman said:
Like I said in the topic that beat this one by a few minutes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/663.936451-Another-sexy-pose-gets-removed-this-time-from-Overwatch#23583468], this single incident viewed separately, is no big deal.

But viewed as a whole, as part of a trend, as another drop in the ocean that is the growing tide of censorship and political correctness, it becomes a big deal. If we[footnote] the people who don't want this kind of dystopian future[/footnote] keep letting things like this pass, it'll only get worse.
Yup!

Which is why I always have to fuckin' facepalm whenever I see some moron saying, "Oh, it's just a pose, relax" or "It's just X/Y/Z, relax!" They either have no concept of a bigger picture or are willfully minimizing these sorts of events in order to make them seem more "palatable."
Nick Monroe said:
Update: Jeff Kaplan has clarified his earlier statement:

While I stand by my previous comment, I realize I should have been more clear. As the game director, I have final creative say over what does or does not go into the game. With this particular decision, it was an easy one to make-not just for me, but for the art team as well ... We wouldn't do anything to sacrifice our creative vision for Overwatch, and we're not going to remove something solely because someone may take issue with it.
This is not a clarification. It's damage control, pure and simple.
...so how many people in this thread are you calling morons? Or is this just a very convenient 'oh no, it's all the other people who are morons'? C'mon, let's be specific here, don't just half-ass the name calling.

And if you can see the bigger picture so clearly then... what is it? What is this grand design of PC Policing in games? Why must this be a case of obvious censorship where the devs are doing damage control over the outrage of a single person, and not them going 'hey yeah, we were getting rid of it anyway because it's out of character, just letting you know'? What will the next part of this big picture be?

C'mon. enlighten me.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
wulf3n said:
The post by Fipps is actually a good example of an alarmingly sexist trend that has been increasing as of late.

The post goes into great detail to list Tracer's positive aspects but then goes on to say the existence of one sexualised post invalidates them all.

In a nutshell Fipps is saying that it doesn't matter what you do, or how good you are at anything else, displaying any form of sexuality reduces you to nothing more than a sex symbol! What kind of message is that?

Now I could understand the complaint if the pose was submissive in some way. That would arguably invalidate her positive traits, implying that regardless of everything else, she still submits sexually to an "authoritative" figure. But the pose linked isn't submissive.

It's tantamount to "slut shaming"
^This.

If you want an example of actually demeaning, creepy, and weird sexualisation, look at Bravely Default. That contains a whole section of story dedicated to the main characters trying to get one of their number into a bikini, for no good reason. Luckily they fail in this endeavour, but the other female protagonist keeps the bikini, for no good reason, and it's an optional costume.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
LostGryphon said:
Wrex Brogan said:
...so how many people in this thread are you calling morons? Or is this just a very convenient 'oh no, it's all the other people who are morons'? C'mon, let's be specific here, don't just half-ass the name calling.

And if you can see the bigger picture so clearly then... what is it? What is this grand design of PC Policing in games? Why must this be a case of obvious censorship where the devs are doing damage control over the outrage of a single person, and not them going 'hey yeah, we were getting rid of it anyway because it's out of character, just letting you know'? What will the next part of this big picture be?

C'mon. enlighten me.
Ooh, I like ya! You've got spunk!

I'll half-ass whatever I want and am not particularly interested in racking up warnings just to validate you.

As for your oh, so very pointed questions? You've made your opinion on the matter clear in an earlier post, so... naaaah, I'll pass. Repeating the usual song and dance isn't worth my time. Just treat this like a win, bud. You've earned it.

Cheers, Love. ;D
C'mon, I just wanted to know all about your impressive grand vision, that all us terrible plebs don't seem to possess. You can't squander that gift pissing it about in some echo-chamber! Give it to the people, we want to know!

But, if your clairvoyant abilities make you think I'm coming at you for some pithy 'win'... maybe they're not so great. I just want someone playing the 'It's a grand design of censorship! Everything adds up!' card to stick to their fuckin' guns when challenged and actually explain their position, not wuss out because I come at 'em a little hard. C'mon, stand up for your beliefs, fight for 'em on an internet forum! That's the whole point of posting shit on a forum in the first place, right?

Or, you know, throw me on ignore and make more assumptions about me. Whatever pleases you, really.