Blizzard Unleashes Final, Jaw-Dropping StarCraft II Launch Trailer

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Xzi said:
D_987 said:
Xzi said:
Haha you can fail to see whatever you want. It all comes down to opinion. And IMHO there hasn't been a Final Fantasy cutscene trailer in history which could rival even Warcraft 1's cinematics. Blizzard is and always has been the king in that department.
Opinion, yes; but from a technical standpoint you're wrong.
Lol riiight. Good luck trying to prove that. Especially since PC engines > console engines.
Considoring we are talking about CGI engine quality really doesn't come into it - furthurmore bear in mind that Blizzards games are designed for use of a range of computors - not just the high-end ones. Regardless we are getting off the point; which was that you made an incredibly moronic comment (troll worthy).

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
ciortas1 said:
Jeronus said:
Asehujiko said:
Jeronus said:
This looks more like a cutscene from an action shooter than a RTS. Why is Blizzard trying to market this game like a shooter more than a RTS? Someone out there is going to pick this game up expecting a shooter and be severely disappointed.
Good thing that the editor supports making shooters then?
I doubt the guy who bought this game thinking it was shooter is going to be happy that he has to make it himself. Imagine ordering a pizza but instead of getting what you wanted he gives something else entirely, but he tells you to just remove the parts you don't like. I doubt you would still be a happy you paid for it.
Look. Will we drop this stupid argument already? The guy who bought this thinking it's a shooter is a sub-60 IQ mother plonker. These are not the people anyone should pay any attention to.
I don't care one way or the other I just felt like pointing it out.

Nosphorus

Feb 16, 2010
Ha! This the best CGI animations ever?

Have you even seen the mass effect 2 game & trailer?

They done exactly the same with Dragon Age & SWTOR trailer too.

Bioware wins hands down for CGI trailers.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Nosphorus said:
Ha! This the best CGI animations ever?

Have you even seen the mass effect 2 game & trailer?

They done exactly the same with Dragon Age & SWTOR trailer too.

Bioware wins hands down for CGI trailers.
Lol no the facial animations for those are terrible. (The in-game / in-engine one)

And when you're talking about the SW:ToR Trailer yes, they're nice too. But they aren't done by Bioware. Most of the game developer hire companies, like in this case Blur Studios, that then create the high quality CGI trailers for them. Actually there is also at least one Mass Effect 2 CGI trailer by Blur Studios.

This SC2 Trailer shows some CGI and mostly in-engine rendered sequences.
E.g. Kerrigan on Char, surrounded by Zerglings -> CGI
Most scenes with Raynor -> in-engine.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
chemicalreaper said:
EDIT: At 1:41 in the video, that is a blatant copy the Halo 3 "Hornet." And at 1:07, they didn't even bother trying to disguise the fact that it's a direct knock-off of the Star Wars clone gunship.
Seeing as how both those airships mentioned are the same and how it resembles a unit from the 1995 C&C (i.e., Orca see below), I think you're just a fail troll. Good day.

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/ORCA_Assault_Craft

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
BboyTeddyBear said:
agree with red marine. blizzard has had incredibly topnotch cgi dedication on detail since Wc3. (i have the dvd cinematics disc) and their trailers ALWAYS show they have the ability to make top notch cinematics. why not a movie?
Since before then as well. The original Starcraft and Diablo had excellent CGI cutscenes for their day and Diablo 2 has some of the coolest cutscenes ever, in my opinion.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Dom Kebbell said:
Corohan said:
Dom Kebbell said:
Corohan said:
I hope you do realise that this trailer contained a lot of scenes which were made with the in-game engine, right?
No, none of that will ever be in engine gameplay. or even in game engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYfwTBOYPgc&feature=related
It contained a lot of scenes like these, which are not CGI but made by the game engine itself.
Nope, pre rendered non engine CGI there. just because it is in the game, does not mean the game engine has anything to do with rendering it.
That is definitely in engine. You can tell by the way the character moves and the lighting. Maybe some other stuff isn't but that is certainly in engine. The Starcraft 2 engine is awesome.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I really hope I can play this on my laptop. It looks too good to be true, and chances are it will kill my computer. DX

Also, I'm laughing how at how everyone is complaining about the CGI.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
ciortas1 said:
What exactly is that supposed to mean; is it that we won't see any of this goodness in the actual game tied into the story, or is it because it doesn't represent gameplay? If it's the former, it's blatantly untrue. If it's the latter, do you have to be reminded by almost every single game Blizzard has ever released? The gameplay is always there and what it can't accomplish storytelling wise, cinematics can. And if anything, they don't take away from their games, but add to them - alot.
Well yeah that's what I meant, that you don't play the game that way. And It's just that cinimatics in games annoy me in games, If I wanted to watch the story and do nothing to be involved I'd go the the cinema. I just never like the game showing you cool stuff that you yourself cannot do. I get that sometimes, in some games you need to take control away for a little bit to tell a story but it feels like such a disappointment when all this cool stuff is happening infront of me, And I'm not allowed to get involved (I'm looking at you more than anyone else final fantasy).

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Hubert South said:
How, exactly, does this tie into the fact that SC2 is a real-time strategy game? How, exactly, did it showcase any action that was not FPS-like?

For reference, take the DoW trailer/intro. You immediately get the feeling that that game is going to be some strategic type.

With this trailer, they could have written "generic thoughguy with a grude/lost love interest FPS nr. 424123412312".

But its not like sanity and reason will cull the hype. Only the release of the game will, once it dawns that, hey, this is SC1 with updated graphics.

Play some real strategy, you 5-minute attention span clickfesters.
It's kinda hard for them to make the trailer feel like an RTS when it's a personal story.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Awww.....my pants are completely ruined now. I wonder if I send the bill for a new pair directly to Blizzard? They've certainly made enough from me on WoW alone.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
comadorcrack said:
ciortas1 said:
What exactly is that supposed to mean; is it that we won't see any of this goodness in the actual game tied into the story, or is it because it doesn't represent gameplay? If it's the former, it's blatantly untrue. If it's the latter, do you have to be reminded by almost every single game Blizzard has ever released? The gameplay is always there and what it can't accomplish storytelling wise, cinematics can. And if anything, they don't take away from their games, but add to them - alot.
Well yeah that's what I meant, that you don't play the game that way. And It's just that cinimatics in games annoy me in games, If I wanted to watch the story and do nothing to be involved I'd go the the cinema. I just never like the game showing you cool stuff that you yourself cannot do. I get that sometimes, in some games you need to take control away for a little bit to tell a story but it feels like such a disappointment when all this cool stuff is happening infront of me, And I'm not allowed to get involved (I'm looking at you more than anyone else final fantasy).
But for certain types of games, it's almost a necessity. A top-down RTS is somewhat limited in terms of its storytelling capabilities if all you stick to is that same gameplay engine. You won't get the kind of subtlety that the story deserves. Cinematics and cutscenes are a great way to invest the player in what's happening on the field and to put the gameplay into context. So we're not just pushing units around towards arbitrary goals, we're leading an army with real leaders and struggles. I'm not saying the story can't be told without cinematics. It can. SC1 did that for the most part using mostly talking portraits. But I for one am grateful for this extra dimension of the story.

Now, would these cinematic moments of the story be better if they still involved gameplay and player control? That's a discussion that applies to all games, to be honest. It's certainly not a characteristic unique to Starcraft and it's worth discussing. Personally, I like cinematics. I don't mind spending a few minutes here and there just watching events unfold. Especially when I spend 45 minutes focusing on a mission, it's kind of nice to sit back and see some pretty CG storytelling.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Jeronus said:
Did I ever say anything derogatory or even the slightest bit negative about the game itself? I merely pointed out that this trailer gives off a FPS vibe. I think you are letting your love of this game cloud your judgment. I don't have any strong feelings about Starcraft. I am a neutral party making a neutral comment about a trailer to a game that hasn't even come out and you felt the appropriate response was to call me a hater. You did make some good points about the box, but if someone who watches just the trailers and commercials goes out to preorder the game, they will be expecting something more visceral and faster than an RTS because that is what is implied by the advertisements.
But you have to admit, it's really no one's fault but their own if they go out and buy a game as a knee-jerk reaction to a single trailer. Consumers have a responsibility to understand what they're purchasing and Blizzard hasn't been hiding the nature of the game. It just looks like Blizzard is trying to up the ante with the story, hence this trailer to showcase that. Obviously you've said nothing against the game, which is a relief amidst the irrational opposition on this thread so far, but I wouldn't take the whole "it looks like an FPS and people will be confused" argument too far.