Blizzard Unleashes Final, Jaw-Dropping StarCraft II Launch Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hubert South said:
How, exactly, does this tie into the fact that SC2 is a real-time strategy game? How, exactly, did it showcase any action that was not FPS-like?

For reference, take the DoW trailer/intro. You immediately get the feeling that that game is going to be some strategic type.

With this trailer, they could have written "generic thoughguy with a grude/lost love interest FPS nr. 424123412312".

But its not like sanity and reason will cull the hype. Only the release of the game will, once it dawns that, hey, this is SC1 with updated graphics.

Play some real strategy, you 5-minute attention span clickfesters.
The funny part is, the only people I know who think SC2 is SC1 with better graphics are the people who haven't played the game.

DoW is a great game. CoH is a great game. They are different types of RTS from SC2. It's the difference between RPG and Action RPG. Neither is inherently worse or better.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Hubert South said:
How, exactly, does this tie into the fact that SC2 is a real-time strategy game? How, exactly, did it showcase any action that was not FPS-like?

For reference, take the DoW trailer/intro. You immediately get the feeling that that game is going to be some strategic type.

With this trailer, they could have written "generic thoughguy with a grude/lost love interest FPS nr. 424123412312".

But its not like sanity and reason will cull the hype. Only the release of the game will, once it dawns that, hey, this is SC1 with updated graphics.

They advertised it as SC1 with updated graphics. That's exactly why people love it. PC Gamer's preview of it last year stated this quite clearly.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Hmmm. I actually want to play this now... never played the first one, but this looks really good.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Excuse me while I go have a happiness seizure.

..ahem..
So when is Blizzard gonna make something feature length? Their talent in movie making beats what a couple of big movie studios never aspire to achieving.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Hubert South said:

Oh, there's plenty of strategy in SC2. Just like SC1.

People who play the "clickfest" card tend to not play strategy games at all and see the professional gamers and proceed to somehow draw the line between them and the average SC player while not drawing the same line for whatever professional players play THEIR game and the casual audience in said game.

And yes. It's SC1. The odd thing being that SC1 really didn't need much- and what it did need you see actually added in SC2. The game isn't trying to be something it's not- it doesn't need to evolve like the rest of the genre because the rest of the genre has spent 10 years either trying to be just like SC. Alternatively they do everything in their power to not be SC- you see it all over the place in games like CoH and DoW where they can't possibly be like SC because the game scaling is so utterly different.

I really gotta ask- have you played SC2 at all? I'd love to hear how you formed the opinion that SC2 = SC1 with better graphics.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Okay, that was all sorts of nostalgic awesome seeing the famous ending to the New Gettysburg mission in full CGI.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Necrofudge said:
Strange... It seems like with the new game they completely factored out what happened in Starcraft: Broodwar. Maybe they announced it, but I never noticed until just now.
Actually I have a good feeling that Duran makes a quick appearance in the trailer. Look for the pasty faced guy who cloaks in the second half of the trailer. And there has been lots shown in trailers and gameplay that ties in with what was featured in Brood War.
One thing I know for sure is Fenix [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenix_(StarCraft)] won't be around. I liked him, and hated what I had to do when playing the Zerg in that expansion.
Blizzard was pretty clear that the Xel'naga themselves won't appear just yet(as was hinted at in Brood War that they are still around), but that does not mean there isn't more to discover about them. Especially when there is more of their tech that appears.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
That was awesome. I wasn't expecting much, but boy did that push my opinion to the curb and put a boot firmly into the back of my head. Brilliant.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
acosn said:
I really gotta ask- have you played SC2 at all? I'd love to hear how you formed the opinion that SC2 = SC1 with better graphics.
I did. Since start of the beta.
It is exactly the same game in multilayer. Nothing in the core game play has changed. Most of the BroodWar build variations are still pretty much acceptable if you just fine tune them to the new units. If anything, it may feel a little faster, but i haven't played BW for so long i can't really compare.

The BOs are very similar, you pump out workers first, then either go for some harass or walling off or both, then you preferably expand to your natural, and play cat and mouse with your opponent as you tech up and max looking for open window for a well timed push.

The only changes are in individual unit mechanics. Zerg got queen, banelings and roaches, Terran got MULEs, Marauders and Vikings, Protoss got Warp Gate, Void Rays and Sentry Force Fields. Those are really the biggest changes in multiplayer environment.

It's still a good game, but i'm far from jaw-dropping term at any point so far. The teaser doesn't even promise an interesting plot for singleplayer.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
Am I the only one who doesn't get what the big deal about StarCraft is. I mean the original was like every other RTS I've ever played and from what I've seen they haven't changed much. Dawn of War 2 will be / is much better but it's not going to be half as successful.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Radeonx said:
Well, I just creamed my pants.
Although, I'm considering shooting myself because I can't play it until August, but shit happens, I suppose.
God, you're not the only one, *sigh*

Sadly, lacking sound because I'm in a public place, makes sure I need to actually save it right now and watch it at home. x.x

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Hubert South said:
acosn said:
People who play the "clickfest" card tend to not play strategy games at all and see the professional gamers and proceed to somehow draw the line between them and the average SC player while not drawing the same line for whatever professional players play THEIR game and the casual audience in said game.
Okay, this being the internet and all, I cant really back up my pedigree (read: I wont show you my collection of games), but I have played, in the traditional RTS genre:
a, Every C&C game (apart from the last, which _does not exsist_, in my opinion)
b, Every Paradox Interactive title (CK,EU2,EU3,Vicky,Hoi",HoI3)
c, Supreme Commander&FA
d, Homeworld, HW:C, HW2
e, Sins Of a Solar Empire
f, Master Of Orion II (again, III does not exsist)
g, the rest I cant be arsked to remember at 2 in the night

So, believe me, I do have plenty of reference to call most of the style that SC promoted a "clickfest".
Right, but what I was looking for was that you'd played SC, or SC2. Preferably both.

Keava said:
I did. Since start of the beta.
It is exactly the same game in multilayer. Nothing in the core game play has changed. Most of the BroodWar build variations are still pretty much acceptable if you just fine tune them to the new units. If anything, it may feel a little faster, but i haven't played BW for so long i can't really compare.

The BOs are very similar, you pump out workers first, then either go for some harass or walling off or both, then you preferably expand to your natural, and play cat and mouse with your opponent as you tech up and max looking for open window for a well timed push.

The only changes are in individual unit mechanics. Zerg got queen, banelings and roaches, Terran got MULEs, Marauders and Vikings, Protoss got Warp Gate, Void Rays and Sentry Force Fields. Those are really the biggest changes in multiplayer environment.

It's still a good game, but i'm far from jaw-dropping term at any point so far. The teaser doesn't even promise an interesting plot for singleplayer.
Well right, but most of the changes are cosmetic, and at the game play level- you'll notice the staggering majority of abilities that hard negated things are all but gone- no more defiler, no more medics w/ cleanse and flares, no more nukes razing entire bases, no more maelstrom, perma-MC, stasis web, lock down, ensare...

It's streamlined, which is what's important. The core game wasn't broken, and it didn't need to be fixed. They'd probably alienate more people by trying to do something different if they'd actually gone and done that.

And the story, well that's just a matter of opinion. It looks interesting. It's certainly pretty. I'm interested. You might not be.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Holy. Rotting. Christ.

Fights will be had to secure the money to buy this on release day. FIGHTS.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
God Dammit! I wish my macbook was one of those newfangled ones with the better graphics chips rather than this shitty Intel thing!

Meeeeh!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Lame southpark reference with the cryogenic freezing.

This is the first thing for SC2 that looks interesting to me!

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I want to play a FPS Starcraft game now, not some RTS thing. I will get it eventually but only for the story line.