Blood Donations, your views and a plea

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Cahlee said:
needausername said:
Cahlee said:
Being 15, I'm not legally aloud to give blood, and if I am I can't anyway because I'm constantly ill, but I know roughly how they do it. But how do you give plasma...
This is a longer process, you're given a similar needle (only one though dont worry) and it's hooked up to a fairly large machine, they remove the blood as usual, but then it's filtered through the machine and the red blood cells and the like a put back into you while they keep the plasma. It takes roughly 45 minutes and because you get to keep most of the irony goodness you can donate plasma every month instead of having to wait 3 months for regular blood. I donate blood then plasma then plasma then blood, if that makes sense.
So you have to sit about for 45 minutes with a needle in your arm? Or do they take the needle out, and put it back in later? Because if its the former, I couldn't do that, I dislike needles, but I can just about do it if its vaccinations/anesthetic, an probably blood donations because its quick.

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
needausername said:
Cahlee said:
I want to say that one of the highlights of my month is going to give blood or plasma.
Being 15, I'm not legally aloud to give blood, and if I am I can't anyway because I'm constantly ill, but I know roughly how they do it. But how do you give plasma...
woa, that scared the life out of me I thought I'd been hacked.

I will do it one day. probably wouldn't make a habit out of it though, booddonations very strict here in England. for example gay people are just out flat banned from ever donating and I'm not sure if I'm eligible.

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
needausername said:
So you have to sit about for 45 minutes with a needle in your arm? Or do they take the needle out, and put it back in later? Because if its the former, I couldn't do that, I dislike needles, but I can just about do it if its vaccinations/anesthetic, an probably blood donations because its quick.
You keep it in, but it doesn't hurt once it's in, it would hurt more if they took it out and put it back in later.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Cahlee said:
Although, I'm not sure how you're average civilian would go getting UltraBlood...
Getting through the gauntlet will be the hardest part. I imagine they may experience a few side-effects:

-Ultraness
-Increased libido
-Fetish for bad Metaphor And Capital Letters
-Desire to place bucket over head

----dickness over----

I have no problems with needles, i can take them as just another part of the day. But is the tube from the needle clear? The thought of watching some of me pump away through a tube is oddly... discomforting. Which is odd, because i dont have issue with it in theory... but the thought of the practice irks me something unnatural. If i can't see it, there wont be a problem, and if it isn't then i'll have to grow a pair and get used to it.

Then there's the cynical side of me, which says it's a very 'fire and forget' method of charity. But that's probably Eviljoe talking.

I might look into it further. It seems a time-costly hassle for a warm fuzzy feeling.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Cahlee said:
needausername said:
You keep it in, but it doesn't hurt once it's in, it would hurt more if they took it out and put it back in later.
I dunno, I think I would prefer it, as if you moved with the needle in your arm it would just feel wrong.

psijac

$20 a year for this message
Nov 20, 2008
I'm B+ and I have zero fear of needles alas at some point in my life i contracted hepatitis B so blood donations are a no go for me. its a shame I like donating a liter a week would seem like a great way to lose weight =)

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
Cahlee said:
Although, I'm not sure how you're average civilian would go getting UltraBlood...
Getting through the gauntlet will be the hardest part. I imagine they may experience a few side-effects:

-Ultraness
-Increased libido
-Fetish for bad Metaphor And Capital Letters
-Desire to place bucket over head

----dickness over----

I have no problems with needles, i can take them as just another part of the day. But is the tube from the needle clear? The thought of watching some of me pump away through a tube is oddly... discomforting. Which is odd, because i dont have issue with it in theory... but the thought of the practice irks me something unnatural. If i can't see it, there wont be a problem, and if it isn't then i'll have to grow a pair and get used to it.

Then there's the cynical side of me, which says it's a very 'fire and forget' method of charity. But that's probably Eviljoe talking.

I might look into it further. It seems a time-costly hassle for a warm fuzzy feeling.
The tube is clear, but you don't have to look at.

Dont listen to Eviljoe, that guy can be a jerk!

arcainia

May 16, 2008
zirnitra said:
needausername said:
Cahlee said:
I want to say that one of the highlights of my month is going to give blood or plasma.

I will do it one day. probably wouldn't make a habit out of it though, booddonations very strict here in England. for example gay people are just out flat banned from ever donating and I'm not sure if I'm eligible.
...wow, that's just...disgusting. Gays have different blood then 'normal' people?
I thought Englad was better then that.

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
arcainia said:
zirnitra said:
needausername said:
Cahlee said:

...wow, that's just...disgusting. Gays have different blood then 'normal' people?
It has to do with the whole AIDS thing, we get asked question like that in Aus, I'm not sure if homosexuals are banned though..

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
I give blood on a regular basis (once every 3 months). It is an easy way to do some good for others even though I don't like needles. Yes I give blood with a dislike of needles, hate the moment they stab me with it but then I don't feel it untill they remove it again.

Ultrajoe: Here in Denmark, at least, the tube is clear but usually runs from your arm and a short way to the bag so unless you try to see it you will not see the blood since you are lying down :)

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
I don't give blood, mainly because people of around my age don't think about that stuff yet. I have a lot of things going on at the moment that are a little more important to me, and I would like to stay focused on that.

Once that's been taken care of and I have a little bit of breathing room I might go and donate.

Also, can you drive after you donated or are you just too drowsy?

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Cahlee said:
The tube is clear, but you don't have to look at.

Dont listen to Eviljoe, that guy can be a jerk!
He's also my voice of evil reason. My voice of good reason likes the idea of helping out someone in need, but my Eviljoe voice of reason scoffs at the idea of taking an hour to put blood into some addict who went and lost all his already. I'd have to look into the applications of my blood before i went tossing it at anyone. As much as i appreciate your comments i do have to take them with a pinch of salt, as your going to have a bit of bias in your statement. Dont take me for some armored grinch (By the way, an armored grinch is by far the greatest threat to christmas since the Santa vs Hulk special), i love charities. But i'm also a suspicious son of a ***** who doesn't like to see his time, money or blood spilt away by the incompetent on lost causes or inefficient applications.

But it's 1:30 here, and i need to sleep. Tomorrow my curiosity might still be alive, i'll pursue it then if it is.

Ultrablood is also a great addition to any soup or broth. It adds punch, power and strength to any meal and any ladies who survive a helping may find themselves bearing child, conceived of pure awesome.

arcainia

May 16, 2008
Cahlee said:
arcainia said:
zirnitra said:
needausername said:
Cahlee said:

It has to do with the whole AIDS thing, we get asked question like that in Aus, I'm not sure if homosexuals are banned though..
That's just stupid though. First of all, you can just lie(unless, you know...you're the really flamboyant type or something...then it might not be so easy) and you need to get a test anyway, so...I don't see the difference.

What happens if you tell them you're gay after they already took your blood? Do they burn it?>_>

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
Sennz0r said:
I don't give blood, mainly because people of around my age don't think about that stuff yet. I have a lot of things going on at the moment that are a little more important to me, and I would like to stay focused on that.

Once that's been taken care of and I have a little bit of breathing room I might go and donate.

Also, can you drive after you donated or are you just too drowsy?
All depends on the person. Most are okay. No heavy machinery though!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Cahlee said:
I've noticed a trend, a lot people who aren't against giving blood (Needle-phobia, religious views, etc) who just don't think about it or are a tad lazy. I want to say that one of the highlights of my month is going to give blood or plasma. Not because I have a needle fetish or anything, but because I see each donation I give as a life or two saved or improved. There are people out there who are sick or dying who need it way more then I do and it's the one way where I feel like I making a difference to someone's life.

Giving blood is something I'm very passionate about and I think that this is something that everyone should try to do, because chances are, you'll need blood some day.

Here's my plea, if you dont have a problem with giving blood, give it a go. Take half an hour out of 3 months and make a difference.

Now, opinions! You've read mine and I want to know yours. If you don't give blood, why? If you do, why?
I'm a purple blood donor :D, which means I have more than 10 donations!, although the last 4 times I've tried they have refused me on utterly shit reasons, once I was ill, which is fair enough. I've always felt good after giving blood, it might be the blood loss and giddy head but I hope I am helping someone in some way.

Although I've recently had an operation and I've been told I'll have to be tested to give blood 2 years after the op, so 21 months left.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
also giving blood is good for you, it forces your bone marrow to create even newer blood cells, if anything, get your life sucked out for the good of your body.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
I tend to get close to fainting when a tiny blood sample is taken for a check up, is that a valid reason for not donating?