Blue Rose of Illium

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Blue Rose of Illium

The writer of Critical Miss brings you an unofficial tale from the Mass Effect universe.

Read Full Article

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
That was absolutely beautiful, played so perfectly with the actual story, and designed in a way that I believe it could easily be mistaken for official Mass Effect/Bioware work. To me, that's cannon.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Holy crap, that is a full blown comic.
Nicely done!

- how often will it come out?

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Wow - I'd seen your tweets in advance of this, and it's incredible.
Both in terms of writing and illustration, you guys have made something really awesome.

I'd have to agree on the universe point - the best part of ME is feeling like everything is vast and varied. And characters like Charr (also the Krogan after the presidium fish in ME2) helped by showing us that it's not as simple as all of alien species X wears hat Y; there's just as much nuance in all races as in humans.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008

Great art style, well written, everything is spot on. I also remember reading that message in ME3 and being utterly bummed about it. ME3 was a great game and it really is a shame that everyone is so fixated on the very end...

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Just goes to show how character-driven pieces carry so much more weight than 'save the world' shlock.

Could make an entire game about the story of just one throwaway background character. Probably be a better game.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
While people may complain about the ending to Mass Effect 3, you have shown that there is still some very moving elements within the story.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Have to agree with the sentiment expressed in the end section and here on the forums.

Great comic, a great game.

I think that's why the ending stank so bad.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
This was pretty good, especially art wise. I didn't really get the meaning of the poem on the first read through (I thought it was a parody of a song of something)and I don't even remember the mission from Mass Effect 3 because it was so forgettable (you save the rachni queen, she's evil, you kill the rachni queen, there's another rachni queen) but this comic was handled excellently.

survivor686

Jan 15, 2012
I want more!

This is one of the better comics written out there. Please do more. Perhaps a story on all the different war assets we encounter in ME3?

Bioware should hire you to do their comics.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
Very nicely done, and makes me remember one of the most moving moments of the game for me. Grey I fully agree with your sentiments there at the end. It would be awesome if you decided to another of these, if not, then keep up the good work.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for this, guys.

Grey, I am totally with your assessment of the situation here. Flaws and all, Mass Effect 3 remains the only game to actually make me tear up repeatedly, largely due to little moments like this. It's a testament to how far ahead of the curve Bioware still is in terms of writing that even one-note comic relief characters like Charr can produce great stories like the one you've written.

And of course, the art is great.

I hope you guys collaborate again, it would be great to see what you come up with.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Is it wrong to already ask for more? This is a great piece of work you guys did there!

Will you adapt more side-stories based on background characters and events? I'd love to see one about the fancy car woman and her Salarian friend you can overhear talking in front of Purgatory or the PTSD-stricken Asari commando in the clinic...