Bobby Kotick's Trash Talking Spree Continues

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Virgil said:
You know who probably dislikes Kotick the most? The Activision PR department.
Zing! Seriously, Bobby Kotick is the worst person possible when it comes to PR.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Sorry Bobby, pricks or not, Infinity Ward and Tim Shafer are producing things of value, and the best thing that can be said about you is that you are managing the capital underwritting of the projects in a way where the only goal is to maximize profit for investors, and leaves gamers with 4-6 hour playing experiences.

Oh, and Blizzards two releases under you--Wrath of the Lich King and Starcraft 2--congratulations on both of those being bland.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
What depresses me is the fact that Kotick is also trying to speak out for the video game industry against that California law. Thats like having your champion knight be allergic to metal and 50 pounds who thinks that wielding a sword means holding the pointy end.

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
Tim Schafer is so lucky. i mean how many people get to go up to this asshole and call him a prick.

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
Brutal legend a game that actully had a decent story,voice cast and setting shit game?.........yeah right

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
You know, as much fun as it is to make fun of Bobby Kotick, calling him "the devil" and whatnot, I would like to offer a plea to the people. Just stop listening to him. He keeps doing things like that because it keeps making news (apparently for no other reason, he certainly fails miserably at PR and damage control). He is a businessman. Activision continues to do well economically in spite of this man's supposed douchebaggery, so he must be doing something right. Maybe if we stop paying attention to him he'll shut up and get back to work.

Lets save up the hatred and vitriol and take him down when he does something really bad.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Hubilub said:
Oh Bobby, why can't you be more like Jack Tretton and star in Kevin Butler commercials to help your image?
That would be pretty interesting. Pure AWESOME vs Pure DOUCHEBAG.
I think the great KB will school Darth BK.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Yeah, they "dropped" Brutal Legend. Which is why they tried to sue Double Fine and EA claiming that they hadn't dropped it and still had the right to publish it.

As for West and Zampella, whatever they may or may not have done certainly didn't call for the rest of IW's staff to be freaked out because "bouncer types" were in their offices and blocking doorways with nobody answering their questions as to what was going on. Somebody at Activision made that call, and with nobody else stepping up I'm going to point the finger at Kotick. Even if he didn't decide to do that he knew about it, and if he didn't know about it then he's woefully ignorant of what goes on in his company.

I swear at this point Kotick has just got to be saying these things on purpose. Nobody can be that bad at realizing that what they're about to say is going to give their PR department an ulcer. Or maybe that's it - he's trying to save money by having half the PR department resign so he doesn't have to pay them. That makes as much sense as anything else.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
What perfect timing, I just finished designs for a prototype of my future avatar.

MomoHime64

Jul 4, 2010
I am not kidding - I cancelled WOW because of Bobby Kotick. I hadn't played lately, true, but I kept giving my money every month just in case I wanted to play. Then I read about his views on how to run a gaming business, and I was done. I'm avoiding all Activision and subsidiary companies' games as well. If they make something I really want, I will only buy those used. :)

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
The Bandit said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Kotick, this is a stain that will not come out no matter how much you try and wash it, And rubbing it with other foods doesn't help. I see your point but I see nothing that the Infinity Ward guys did wrong. Tim Schaefer, he made a... all right game. Could have been better, but it probably would have been better if you didn't drop him out of development.

Calumon: Jack, if he keeps saying bad things, you aren't going to go Super Saiyan, are you?
The Infinity Ward guys violated their contract by seeking out a deal with EA. That's the definition of wrong.
Except we have no ones word on that except some rumours from Activision. In case you didn't realise the IW guys didn't go to EA until after they were fired and weren't given the bonuses that Activision owed them. By all accounts Activision were fucking all of IW over, refusing to allow them to work on a differet IP and withholding bonuses despite IW giving them the biggest release of the year.

squidbuddy99 said:
What gives this douchebag the right to diss Tim Schafer? The guy has made some of the best adventure games known to gaming. He has Grim Fandango and Psychonauts under his belt. Even if Brutal Legend wasn't the masterpiece hoped for (I also doubt the game's poor reviews are because of one guy), I'm pretty sure Activition doesn't have a perfect track record, either.
What gives Schafer the right to rag on Kotick?
Maybe because he's actually a good creator who, like squid said, has made some great adventure games in his time. Bobby however kills any game that can't be milked for sequals on a two-year basis (seriously, that is his actual policy; he won't allow any new IPs if they can't become franchises), says he wants to take all the fun out of making video games, said he would charge even more for guitar/skateboard/DJ/etc. controllers, etc. etc.

Basically, Schafer is actually a creator and aims to create good game. Kotick is a business man, does not understand how games are made, won't allow new games to be made if they can't become franchises, and wants to constantly pump out the same three games on a yearly basis.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
I don't understand what the hell he thinks he can accomplish by opening his mouth.
I'm pretty sure he is in the midst of a competition with Satan to see who can become more hated.
Within this community, he's winning.