Boondocks is an anime?

MICKnight1

May 25, 2010
It is not anime.
It may have some stylistic similarities but lacks a lot of the expressions and unique character design, and setting, (no middle school girls with pink hair fighting seemingly endless waves of demons.)
Also, unlike much anime that is adapted from manga, The Boondocks is based on the three panel comic strips,(not comic books,) of Aaron McGruder, meaning that The Boondocks is no closer to being anime than the Charlie Brown Christmas Special.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well its style is definatly close to what the style of cartoons generally called anime. That's about as close I can get to defining it before "this is what anime is", "this isn't what anime is", "anime is this", "anime is that", "anime blah blah blah..."

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
nicholaxxx said:
Kefkacultist said:
I wouldn't consider it anime, just cartoon

...which is what anime is. It's an American anime, which is just a Japanese style of cartoon. anyway, call it whatever you want, I just call it American anime and get it over with.

of course if you want to be all "is not from Japan, is not aneemay!" then that's your problem.

if anyone says I'm ignorant about anime or a hater, I instruct you to look at my avatar.
I was thinking the same thing after I posted that and knew I was gonna get that response.

But still, there's a difference between American cartoons like Boondocks (I've never watched it) or sponge bob and anime like Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (great anime btw)

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Mr Pantomime said:
My friend says Halo: Legends is an anime because it uses anime style. I dont know what to think
Wasn't Legends made by a Japanese studio, thus qualifying as anime?

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
from what I understand Boondocks has some Korean influences in it, but its not anime per se.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Mr. Gency said:
Mr Pantomime said:
My friend says Halo: Legends is an anime because it uses anime style. I dont know what to think
Apparently its made by the same people who made Appleseed. So yes, it does. You could look this up yourself.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Probably doesn't technically count, though Aaron McGruder certainly drew inspiration from anime. He even named Samurai Champloo as an inspiration, in fact, and you can see a lot of that when you look at the fight scenes.

Konaerix said:
Like Avatar, Hentai, and Manga...IT'S NOT ANIME!
Say wha?

Avatar isn't anime due to its western production, manga isn't anime because it's a different (though closely related) medium, but hentai? That can <url=http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2889/51cb1erx0lsl500aa300.jpg>most certainly be anime, as well as a number of other things.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Anime is animation, Japanimation is animation from Japan. Do we really have to get all pretentious about the title?

Nihilism_Is_Bliss said:
It is in no way, shape, or form, an anime.
It's like Avatar: the last airbender. Just an American cartoon trying to look like an anime to gain popularity.
Well scratch that, I guess we do have to get all pretentious about a title.

MikailCaboose said:
..."football vs football" debate: American football is correct as the ball is a foot-long, while the rest of the world's football is correct as it's played with the feet.
Eh...? Football is called football because the ball is a foot long?

Football is called football becasue it's adapted from rugby football (which was known as football at the time), while football (soccer) was known as association football at the time and was more commonly called soccer.

Falcon_Punch

Apr 30, 2008
Madhouse animate it...it is technically anime. Although to be honest does it really matter? It's a kick arse show.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Mr Pantomime said:
Mr. Gency said:
Mr Pantomime said:
Apparently its made by the same people who made Appleseed. So yes, it does. You could look this up yourself.
I didn't care enough to look it up.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Mr. Gency said:
Mr Pantomime said:
Mr. Gency said:
Mr Pantomime said:
I didn't care enough to look it up.
You used me. I feel dirty :(

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
ninonybox360 said:
I keep seeing Boondocks comeing up in topics about anime....when did that show become an anime....granted sometimes it looks like it but i can't see it being anime. so escapists i say to you

Considering it is based of a comic strip, if western origin, and the content matter is very western, there isn't much that could constitute this being an anime.

Just because it looks a little like anime doesn't mean it is.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
manaman said:
MikailCaboose said:
..."football vs football" debate: American football is correct as the ball is a foot-long, while the rest of the world's football is correct as it's played with the feet.
Eh...? Football is called football because the ball is a foot long?

Football is called football becasue it's adapted from rugby football (which was known as football at the time), while football (soccer) was known as association football at the time and was more commonly called soccer.
I've just heard that it was called that because it was a foot-long. Which it is. I just figured that that was true.