Bosses that you JUST. CAN'T. BEAT.

Ml33tninja

Sep 27, 2013
TheKasp said:
Ml33tninja said:
I have to disagree I do not find him broken at all. Like Kalameet mistake = death accept it (he is a DRAGON! many enemies in the soul games can kill you in a good 4 to 5 hits at best) I died all for sure but it was about the same amount of times when I was fighting Kalameet. And I just do not see the problem with Drakekeepers but then again I have different ways to handle them too. I guess we play differently
My problem with this boss is twofold:

His fire rain ability is bullshit. Sometimes I don't get hit when I'm around his tail, sometimes I do. There is no clear indication for a safe distance. Surviving it is just a matter of luck. Are you lucky enough that he landed in the proper place for you to have space to evade? Are you lucky enough that the fire somehow does not reach you? Are you lucky enough that you are in the very few places from where you can run away fast enough?

He bugs the fuck out. With my tactic he was easy but from time to time his foot clipped through the ground and created a shockwave when put back in place. The shockwave was instakill. It was not a stomp attack since it happened way too fast (basically, it lacked the windup time). You might say that this is rare but I died several times to this when killing him, often several times after another (the longest streak of this was 5).
His rain of fire AoE depends on whether he moves forward or backward when he jumps in the air.(Just my opinion) It was something I notice when playing that if I am too close and I am running toward his tail if he jumps backward I am not going to make it. I do have a problem with his tail (no matter which part) is the same as being hit by his stomp. I used a different melee/magic to win. I did not have the clipping problem and for me EVERYTHING he does is an instakill so maybe I did not notice it. I will say that fighting alone is the best chance of victory.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Ancient Dragon from Dark Souls 2. Cheap ass piece of wank he one shots me.
Burchy22 said:
Dark souls 2 again, Ancient dragon, probably only gave this boss about five tries before deciding its a waste of time and poorly designed boss, this is no Ornstein and Smough were its hard as hell but you knew what went wrong every time you die. This was just at some point the boss gets bored flies up and one hit kills you with fire.
... Yep. I support both these claims 100%.

I made a thread not along ago about comparing the Ancient Dragon to Kalameet from DS 1's DLC. The Ancient Dragon is just broken, in every way possible. Apart from his KO moves... the whole situation is poorly designed. Like how you're fighting on a circular platform where it's kind of easy to fall off the edge. Then he has that bullcrap move where he flies up and shoots fire onto the platform.. covering 3/4ths of it.

When you try to chase his tail.. he sometimes lands to close towards the edge and will be much harder to escape when he's doing his air strike. Otherwise, he's really dull to fight along with the fact the music stops playing when you run to far from him in battle.

I managed to actually beat him. Yes. It was the dumbest tactic i've ever used too... after dying 28 to 50x and finally wanting to just kill the darn dragon regardless of being hollow or what.

I thought it was all about building up fire resistance. Had gyrm shield +10 which blocks 100% fire, wore the flame quartz ring +2, 50 vitality along with wearing the Black Dragon's Armor. I followed tips about following his tail, baiting him for his forward fire breath, or just summoning faith people to spam spells. Nothing worked. The dragon kept killing me with either his air strike or just some cheap bullcrap by having my guy fall off the ledge because I couldn't hold out in blocking all the flames.

The key is really simple, but painfully stupid .... attack his toe. Just attack, wait for a bit until he does his curb stomp... run towards his other toe while he's doing the curb stomp and attack. Once you do 2-3 hits, wait until he does his curb stomp with THAT foot and while he does it... run to the other foot. Rinse and repeat.

So in short... attack each foot until he does a foot stomp. Once he does, go for his other toe. Make sure to wait so his reaction kicks in to curb stomp you. I've done this and managed to make him curb stomp 15x before he lifted off once to do the air strike. By then I just finished him off after he landed. I felt extremely relieved about the Ancient Dragon dying, but dread with how dumb it was fighting the boss. So broken I swear.

@TheKasp: I wonder if I explained the tactic you were going to use in my spoiler bar. However, it's sad to see how it's still very unfair if not painfully boring to fight the Ancient Dragon. 5 steps backwards in comparison with the Black Dragon Kalameet.

OT: Well it used to be the Ancient Dragon ... not anymore.

It also was the Darklurker...

Seeing how it can not only spam some powerful spells at you- but also can clone itself and do all that but with a twin now. Especially using a melee character was a NIGHTMARE fighting the Darklurker. Thankfully, I got the boss to spam it's magic sword swing mostly and kept it from cloning. I defeated it without the boss splitting into a clone so I cherished the fact I survived the bullcrap. So all of DS 2 bosses were killed including King Vindrict.

So not sure which boss gives me a hard time. The only enemies that I despise with a passion is the Drakekeepers. They may not be bosses, but by god i'd rather fight a horde of Amana Priestesses, Ogres, Cursed Frogs, and Bell Keeper invaders altogether then face another Drakekeeper. Their massive attacks that eats away your shield's strength, infinite stamina, and no delay time is just the cheapest. I swear they can spam their attacks for the longest time without ever stopping so unless you can move around them or outlast their spams somehow... you die. For sure.

I loathe them. They are also (ironically) guarding the Ancient Dragon who is also broken. Screw the Dragon Shrine.
So you basically use the same tactics against the Ancient Dragon that you use against the Guardian Dragons?

Gonna have to contest that bit about the Drakekeepers though. If anything I found them to be pushovers. Ignoring the fact that they are incredibly weak to fire (the regular firebomb does 200 damage to it and costs 200 souls apiece) most of their attacks are readily telegraphed and easy to dodge or block. The great hammer ones (I'm guessing these are the ones you are referencing specifically) also become trivial if you either keep a wide berth or get right in their face. The flurry attacks will pass harmlessly over your head half the time while the ones that do land are easily blocked or dodged through, giving you the opening to land a hit.

Or you could just farm Dyna & Tillo in Things Betwixt for a Demon's Great Hammer and make any fight against humanoid or armored enemies instantly trivial with one two-handed strong attack. With 40 STR the unupgraded one can kill the Drakekeepers in 2-3 hits. Can't even wait to see what a Strong attack while power-stancing 2 of them is going to look like.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Knight Captain Kerr said:
I don't know if you'd count it as a "boss", you probably wouldn't but the torture sequence in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. I can't do it, I can't hammer the button quick enough. I gave up, had to stop playing the game. I've also never been able to beat the torture sequence in Metal Gear Solid on anything higher than easy.
Get a pen or lighter or something and just move it quickly back and forth across the button, much, much, much easier to do I could never do those without using a pen either :p

Elfgore said:
Tiamat in Darksiders is the most difficult boss battle I've ever had to suffer through. She is insanely difficult. From moves you have seconds to dodging, from wiping out almost all of one lifebar in one hit. She is the first boss in game and going by what others have said, the most difficult. Took me at least twenty tries, multiple console shut offs, and even one controller throw... on fucking easy. It has been sometime since a game has pissed me off as much as Darksiders. I'm still pissed off at a rage quit from earlier today. The game is the most infuriating game I've ever played.
Really? Darksiders didn't feel any more difficult even on hard, than any run of the mill Zelda boss, Tiamats attacks had a pretty large telegraph time, just don't stop moving and or dashing. I do seem to remember Tiamat being the most difficult, as by the end you have a stupid amount of health and the difficulty curve goes down the further you get, but otherwise I dunno, maybe years of playing Zelda set me up perfectly for Darksiders.

OT: In recent memory, The final boss of Metal Gear Rising, I played the game through on revengance difficulty the first time (unwise I suspect) when it came out and it took me 7 hours. Sweet fuck was that fight hard. My 2 flatmates went to bed only to find me having not moved when they got up the following morning, hovering on the edge of my seat, Marge Simpson style. Tiredness, anger and exhaustion aside, I beat him and it was SO FUCKING SATISFYING. I was not best pleased when one of my flatmates started backseat driving though.

I will say this about MGR, none of the bosses were unfair, they just had a case of "Look, you're going to have to do better than that if you want to beat me. l2p nub-cake" Which to it's merit, there'll be a point where everything falls into place, and you'll become an unstoppable bad ass.

Avalanche91 said:
I remember being stuck against Jetstream Sam from Metal Gear Rising Revengeance for a long time. He wouldn't have been so hard if we purchased 'defensive offensive', which you NEED to beat the final bosses, starting with him.

Monsoon from the same game was also a pain in the ass.
I loved the Jetstream Sam fight, it was sodding hard, but damn was it cool, just you, him, a couple of swords, an open field and some badass music. Once you get the hang of parrying, defensive offensive (that is the dodge right?) becomes less useful.

Monsoon was my first brick wall in that game too, it certainly forced you to learn how to adapt. I was less than thrilled when you do the boss rush after him in the next level though ><

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Dandark said:
The boss I Struggle with the most right now is definitely the Smelter demon from Dark souls 2. Im not sure why but I just can't seem to dodge his attacks very well
That's probably because his hit box is absolutely fucked. He manages to land attacks even when you're clearly out of range.

OT: I'm adding the Ancient Dragon to the list. Also fuck the Royal Rat Authority.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I've beaten Dark Souls before, but I had to call in friends to help me beat Ornstein and Smough. In my second runthrough I'm determined to solo every boss, but I just can't beat those dudes :(

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
The Lagiacrus from Monster Hunter 3.

I mean, the aquatic Boss Monsters are tough enough as it is. They move faster, you move slower, you have to look out for yourself in three dimensions AND keep an eye on an oxygen gauge. So when this scaly mother hits you with charges that cross from one side of the area to the other, slaps you with it's tail and then launches bolts of electricity at you within about 10 seconds, it's hard not to get frustrated.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
scorptatious said:
So I'm feeling kinda salty right now, and I feel like venting a bit by asking you all a question:

Is there any boss that you seem unable to beat due to how ridiculous it is? Or you have beat, but only through extreme trial and error or luck?

Okay that was two questions, but you get the point.

For me, that boss right now is the final boss of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey:

Oh KrazyKid, why didn't I listen to you? My body was indeed NOT ready for this gargantuan *****.

So let's see, in addition to having a super powered version of every elemental spell in the game, she also has some of the special moves of past bosses. Including that one move that has a good chance of inflicting rage. The ONE status ailment Void Mind does not block for whatever reason.

She also prevents you from buffing and debuffing past one debilitate and one luster candy, otherwise she removes it all AND heals herself in the process. So the battle turns into a battle of attrition.

Plus, she has a VERY annoying tendency to use Mother's Kiss, which hits multiple times and kills me at full health.

And this is only her first form. I can barely beat the first phase only to be taken down by her second form.

I've been trying for the past three days to beat this *****, but I just can't seem to do it. I tried grinding up to around her level, I tried restructuring my entire party so they can reflect some of her magic, which seems to be the only effective way of doing damage, but even that's not enough. The only thing I can do now it seems is to grind like mad to fuse a demon that knows Jihad, which works like Debilitate, but does a lot of damage too.

At the moment however, I just don't feel like spending that amount of time.

So. How about you guys? Who remains the bane of your existence as of now?
Ah ha. Somehow i had i feeling that would happen. It did to me. I was at level 99 when i managed to beat her, and even then it took an insane amount of luck. Luckily for me i like grinding in SMT games, plus getting to max level isn't that hard compared to other SMT games. But that boss will test your patience, willpower and might. Good luck my friend , good luck.

OT: i'm a masochist, i love challenge and hard games,so i enjoy bosses that stop me into the ground. So i don't really have a boss i couldn't beat, because i enjoy those types of bossfights.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Sean Hollyman said:
That guy took 4 hours and a crap ton of Vocaloid to beat, but it was so damn satisfying once I did. It was like they remade the Gaping Dragon bossfight, but made his charage hit almost the entire map and 1 hit kill you. The run back to him is also an obsolute pain, making every single death all the more frustrating. On the bright side it is very easy to exploit his patterns once you know how to, but that's still really bad boss design if the only way to effectively fight him is to exploit him.

Personally I'm going to go for the last boss of FTL. I don't really like Rogue-likes very much, and I can't say I've put much time into them. The one exception for that is FTL, which I have put hours and hours into, and yet that I still can't even touch that damn last boss fight.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
The dread king in Warhammer: Dark Omen. cheating SOB. you are only allowed 10 regimens. that bastard has around 15! did finally bring him down, destroying most of my forces to do it, only to find to win I have to take down him and all of his minions! What BS!

The one boss in Prince of Persia: Two Thrones with the purple and white outfit could be frustrating, as you lock weapons with here and have to click/push the button very rapidly.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy - fight the lich without the good book. Have fun with that. ok i have actually done it but it is still a pain. Even with the book he is a nasty fight.

Scarim Coral said:
Two bosses come to my mind-

Olga Flow (after normal mode) from Phantasy Star Online Episode 2. That boss was insane even when it was already tought beaten the first form! Now only does he got alot of AOE attacks but he spawn to snake like snake which are also hard to beat!

Dullahan from Golden Sun 2. He only hard to beat cos of his "Djinn Storm" move that reset all of you Djinn in standby mode meaning messing up your summons attack and your stats (putting them in their lowest form).

There also Meta Ridley and the Emperor Ing but I couldn't beat them cos I didn't get all of the ammo and enerfy storage.
hate it when enemies can attack you from where you can't get to them (Dark Falz's third from, Olga Flow's first form. Flow's heaven's punisher once one-shot my level 40 HUnewearl at full health on normal! I know to stay the hell away when I see him charging it up! Haven't gotten that far into ultimate, but am dreading facing both Dark Falz and Olga Flow on Ultimate!

Didn't have problems with Meta Ridley or Emperor Ing but I had all the items collected. Decided to do the 1% challenge on metroid fusion. the spider boss, Yakuza (strange name for a spider but ok) and nightmare. screw those two. have heard Yakuza makes people pull their hair out, and the nightmare apparently made people want to murder the developers.

Sabitsuki

Apr 20, 2013
Also throwing my vote at the Ancient Dragon of Dark Souls 2.

Absolutely nothing enjoyable about the Ancient Dragon. It's guarded by the most annoying mooks in the game. It has ridiculous damage spongy health. A pitiful attack pool of insta-kill attacks. The method for beating it is tedious beyond belief, and you can very easily be killed anyway if the dragon happens to move in a bad spot or bugs out. Worst of all, there's no real point in killing it anyway. It offers no unique reward for killing it. The soul is drops is just for making another boss easier (and that boss is still easier than the Ancient Dragon even without that particular soul). I find nothing satisfying about a boss that has to be beaten exclusively through a cheesy method, while still randomly deciding to one-hit kill me. Not sure if this technically qualifies as Boss that I just won't beat, because I simply cannot be bothered to waste any more effort on it.

If you really want the Giant Soul the Ancient Dragon drops? Burn a Bonfire Ascetic in the first Bonfire of Black Gulch and go kill the two Giant Warriors again. There you go, the entire reward for this utterly broken boss is easily obtained in five minutes by less frustrating means.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Dandark said:
The boss I Struggle with the most right now is definitely the Smelter demon from Dark souls 2. Im not sure why but I just can't seem to dodge his attacks very well so I usually have to resort to either summoning others who throwing an entire Pikachu's worth of lightning spears at him.
Smelter was one of the only bosses in that game that gave me trouble, I wanted to try out all the new spell mechanics so my first couple characters were casters of various types who all got chased down and crushed by the smelter (they had like no stamina). But then . . .hope, in the form of my vanquisher-sealed, unarmed beast Magnus Flex. Basically I just got right up in his face (seriously I was basically pushing my face in his crotch) and whenever, literally whenever he did an attack I'd just roll under his right arm (HIS right) and come up swinging, he couldn't even touch me, just had to pop a lifegem once while he was doing his AoE to counteract the damage over time his fire form does.

So Monster Hunter Pros are probably gonna laugh their asses off at this, but I could never beat the dual Rajangs in the arena in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. I could wreck the first one and almost kill it, but then the second, larger, already enraged thunder monkey-bull would jump in and fuck my shit up so hard it was actually kinda funny. It happened so many times (that game had a strange influence on me, I hate grinding but the rewards, oh the sweet sweet craftables) that I actually had to laugh to keep from crying.

Ahh good times, maybe I'll get a nintendo console someday and try that series again.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
drakonz said:
Caramel Frappe said:
King of Asgaard said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Can I second this? Cos I'm gonna. I gave that boss too much of my goddamn time before I said fuck it and beat Demon's Souls to vent my frustration. Stupid, ill-designed bastard.
With the post i've made above this one... I guess we can all agree about how the Ancient Dragon is the lamest yet most broken, terrible boss in Dark Souls history? I actually think From Software has no excuse, seeing as they made Kalameet in DS 1's DLC the best dragon boss i've ever fought. Such a shame man ...
agreed i was actualy suprised they managed to top bed of chaos in bad boss design. ancient dragon is just lame unlike other bosses winning against it didint feel like i archieved anything at all not to forget its attack animation with flying flame and flying move flame attack are far too similar to each other whole boss battle was just running from point a to b doing few hits and repeat.
Kalameet was wonderful, a superb test of dodge timing, choosing your moments to attack, and reading the enemy, everything that the game taught you to do is reflected in that fight, and it resulted in one of if not the most memorable solo boss fight i've had in a game (unless you count Sander Cohen's splicer waves, in which case my shotgun danced to waltz of the flowers and it was beautiful). But man fuck the ancient dragon, like many have said here It's not that I can't beat it, I have, but that is was so fucking stupid and pointless.

You know when I first saw the ancient dragon I was in awe. Its design is great, it's so detailed and cool, this massive, powerful titan lying languidly on his platform at the top of the world. As soon as he gave me the ashen mist heart I attacked because (as all you Dark Soulers know) if it lives, you must kill it. I was gratified when I saw the fog door and health bar appear, and then I fought it. So disappointing, such a missed opportunity for an amazing fight. I had an absolutely amazing fight against the looking glass knight the first time I fought him, killed an actual mirror squire and fought two more npc phantoms, It was an epic duel (benhart died early, damn you prepatch) with moments where the margin between life and death was razor thin, it was everything I wanted in a dark souls boss fight. I wish they could have made me feel that with more bosses in this game. I love you DKS2, but not as much as your older sibling or your estranged uncle.

Santhenar

Dec 27, 2007
I 2nd the Prince of Persia one, that wench has tooo much life.

Although not strictly a boss fight, there has been only once instance where I have actually thrown a controller across the room... And it broke.

The racing game Split/Second, which I love. Has a particular challenge about half way through, you have to race a pointy black car through a power station, as that power station is exploding. To get gold on most challenges you have drive pretty well, or just not make any mistakes. To get gold on this one... You have to memorize the track, know every route and shortcut, and then drive so recklessly, yet so perfectly through this exploding shitstorm.

Must have been over 100 attempts I was within half a second of beating it, the last thing I needed to 100% the game. Grrr... Makes me mad to think about it.

Got it in the end of course ;)

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Krux at the end of Spectrobes Origins. I never could beat him, and by the time I felt like trying again, my brother moved out with the Wii we used and the save is gone now that I bought it off him. Guess I gotta go back and try and kick his ass again, after playing the ENTIRE game. Maybe this time I'll win. 17th times the charm

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Azure23 said:
Dandark said:
So Monster Hunter Pros are probably gonna laugh their asses off at this, but I could never beat the dual Rajangs in the arena in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. I could wreck the first one and almost kill it, but then the second, larger, already enraged thunder monkey-bull would jump in and fuck my shit up so hard it was actually kinda funny. It happened so many times (that game had a strange influence on me, I hate grinding but the rewards, oh the sweet sweet craftables) that I actually had to laugh to keep from crying.

Ahh good times, maybe I'll get a nintendo console someday and try that series again.
After spending a grand total of over 600 hours (Not shitting you by the way) on the series, wrecking everything g rank, I can still say that the dual Rajangs are by far one of the worst things you have to deal with. I'm with you there man, that quest was really, really brutal. It took me a lot of tries too... Good fun~