Bosses that you JUST. CAN'T. BEAT.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
The Pursuer in Dark Souls 2 by the looks of things. My character just isn't able to do enough damage in a short enough space of time and can't take more than 3 hits during the course of the fight due to light armour and low health even in human form. Coupled with the weird way they handled rolling and parrying in the game, I just can't maintain the level of evasiveness I need to stay alive and if I do, I'm not doing enough damage to shorten the fight. I know exactly what to do, I just can't last long enough to do it. I pretty much need to spend ten minutes on the fucker without making a single mistake, which is not likely. The best part is that I'm fairly sure I need to defeat him in order to progress.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I never managed to beat any of the Dark Aeons, but after a certain point, Final Fantasy endgame bosses cease to be about enjoyable turn-based combat and become just a bit absurd. When the enemy's every move is some kind of mega-death-ray which targets every party member simultaneously, and you are absolutely obligated to have null-every-status-ailment and auto-mega-phoenix on everybody, then there's no bloody freedom to the combat any more. It's just maths and grind and finding the one thing you're allowed to do without everybody dying.

Anywho, who else is ludicrously difficult... Liadri the Concealing Dark from Guild Wars 2 took me a huge number of attempts to beat, but I finally managed it a few days ago. Also, Moldorm [http://zeldawiki.org/Moldorm_(Boss)].

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
FriesWithThat said:
The Pursuer in Dark Souls 2 by the looks of things. My character just isn't able to do enough damage in a short enough space of time and can't take more than 3 hits during the course of the fight due to light armour and low health even in human form. Coupled with the weird way they handled rolling and parrying in the game, I just can't maintain the level of evasiveness I need to stay alive and if I do, I'm not doing enough damage to shorten the fight. I know exactly what to do, I just can't last long enough to do it. I pretty much need to spend ten minutes on the fucker without making a single mistake, which is not likely. The best part is that I'm fairly sure I need to defeat him in order to progress.
If you can get a parry, you get enough time to shoot him with one of the ballistas for about 1000 damage. And no, he's 100% optional.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
For me it was Oblivion from Final Fantasy X. He's the optional hidden boss that's unlocked when you murder all the Dark Aeons. I thought Dark Magus Sisters were hard but with every stat but Luck maxed out and with everybody at around 40k+ health he still beats the tar out of you. Apparently you have to grind fortune and luck spheres and replace every node you can with Luck boosts while still maintaining maxed stats. I gave up.

Ornstein and sodding Smough. I just cannot do them by myself. Ended up summoning Solaire and a random co-op on NG and now playing through NG+ I'm determined to beat them by myself. Manus gave me less trouble.

FriesWithThat said:
Just go through No Man's Wharf after killing the Dragonrider in Heide's Tower of Flame and you'll end up in the same place you'd get to if you killed The Pursuer (though coming at it from a slightly more obtuse direction). The Flexile Sentry boss that blocks you in the Wharf is much more straightforward than the Pursuer and if you have difficulty there's an NPC summon in the form of Lucateil for it, though her summon sign is well hidden.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Alarien said:
sniped for space
Okay, then I had a bug. I was actually kind of disappointed, since the LS was so easy the first time, that I looked forward to the additional challenge.

Velstadt does spells??? Oh man, now I have been screwed out of two way more challenging boss fights than the ones I got.

The boss fights of DS2 disappointed all together, since the "hug his butt tight and hit when you can" strategy is way to efficent with all of them.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Right now the only boss I can't beat is Alduin but thats because the encounter is bugged. Unless i'm doing something incredibly wrong he will not take a single point of damage.

There is one encounter I have managed to beat.....once but ive never been able to do it again. Its fucking laughable.

Ready?!?

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
FrozenCones said:
Right now the only boss I can't beat is Alduin but thats because the encounter is bugged. Unless i'm doing something incredibly wrong he will not take a single point of damage.
wow *laughs* I found Alduin to be a really pushover compared to that dude on the whalebone bridge you have to fight first
then again are you fighting on console or pc? becuse A. I modded the crap out of the game and I abuse the hell out of shouts and B. are you remembering to use Dragonrend on him he is untouchable unless you rend that sucker

edit: just relised you might be talking about one of two fights (derp) the first fight on the throat of the world is known to "bug out" for some people

Chaosian said:
OT: There was a handheld Mario RPG I played back in the day called Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. It was pretty fun, but holy god did it drag. The final boss, to this day, I have not, and likely will never beat, because it just takes so god-damn long to damage. I probably made my build wrong but- FOUR HOURS to get to the final form of the final boss, to which I just responded: No game, I think I'm done... now.
never played PiT but Bowser's inside story's final boss broke my hand my hand cramped so bad at the end I had to wear an ace bandage for several days afterward... (--;)

for my boss I cant fucking kill its Bonigo-bonigo from OoTs shadow temple

I can avoid being damaged by him directly and can hit him but I get too disorented and fall off the drum repeatedly which kills me *headdesk*

rvbnut

Jan 3, 2011
BlackBark said:
Dullahan from Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Curse him and his damn Djinn Storm! I don't think I ever managed to beat him. I could already mop the floor with the Doom Dragon, but this guy...he's just unstoppable. I never even got to see the final djinn summon because of him. Bastard.
That guy was insane. Amazing fight once you could beat him. But the RNG for the Djinn Storm. That fight....just no words can describe the fury that guy brings up.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Twyce said:
Matador from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

I think he was like...What? One of the first bosses in the game? I wasn't playing the game as 'seriously' as I should have been and got my ass handed to me. Like a year later, I started fresh and actually got the skills required to beat him - like the one where you actually get healed by his attack.

Still lost. Said screw it and moved on. One day I will defeat him!
I never know Matador was suposse to be such a hard boss, I killed him in my second go. The first one went kinda well but I lost because I was still getting the hang of his attacks, the second one I killed him no sweat.

Nightmare boss in Nocturne was the skull like monk that you meet later on, that guy on his first form was alright, but come the second form and the rape train finally arrived.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
chickenhound said:
FrozenCones said:
wow *laughs* I found Alduin to be a really pushover compared to that dude on the whalebone bridge you have to fight first
then again are you fighting on console or pc? becuse A. I modded the crap out of the game and B.I abuse the hell out of shouts

Chaosian said:
OT: There was a handheld Mario RPG I played back in the day called Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time. It was pretty fun, but holy god did it drag. The final boss, to this day, I have not, and likely will never beat, because it just takes so god-damn long to damage. I probably made my build wrong but- FOUR HOURS to get to the final form of the final boss, to which I just responded: No game, I think I'm done... now.
never played PiT but Bowser's inside story's final boss broke my hand my hand cramped so bad at the end I had to wear an ace bandage for several days afterward... (--;)

for my boss I cant fucking kill its Bonigo-bonigo from OoTs shadow temple

I can avoid being damaged by him directly and can hit him but I get too disorented and fall off the drum repeatedly which kills me *headdesk*
I'm playing it on PC without any mods. I actually looked this up after my original post and it is a known bug. Apparently I have to fast travel from The Throat of the World to anywhere on the map before combat commences then back again to do damage.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Hixy said:
Fought Ornstein and Smough like 20 f**ckin times and got murdered. So I went and killed Pinwheel so I could get 20 estus flasks . . . then still got f**ckin killed. Then I got PS4 and have'nt played xbox at all but every time I look at the 360 I feel the shame of my repeated defeats. People keep making threads about DS and I am like ''I have'nt got that far yet :/ '' and I fell incredibly incompetent! Actually f**k that game.
Same situation as you. They kept killing me so I went and got flasks...then I grinded a bit to upgrade my armor...and in the end I succeeded. One of my biggest victories and most nerve-wracking fights in gaming history. When I finally won I was standing upright with my hand in the air in the living room yelling. It was GREAT. I implore you to keep trying, if it seems too much...grind a bit and come back stronger. Every little bit helps :)

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Elizabeth from Persona 3.

Just. No, I don't accept your shenanigans game. There's difficult, but fair, ala Dark Souls. Then there's fuck you because your face is stupid, ala Shin Megami Tensei boss fights. Then there's, "Oh, i'm sorry. We were just playing softball. Now we're gonna break every bone you got and drag you down the highway until we hit mexico." Which is, secret bosses in the Shin Megami Tensei games.

Also, Ruby Weapon from Final Fantasy 7. No, I don't like that you can arbitrarily knock away two of my characters. And have two support units yourself. Dick move.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I know it's to be expected of a final boss and all, but the third battle with Vergil in Devil May Cry 3 is simultaneously one of the most awesome and most frustrating boss battles I've ever fought. Force Edge combos, insane amounts of health that he can regenerate while also becoming immune to flinching, and he blocks all your attacks unless you counter immediately after his. But the music helps a lot, and the same-size showdown fights are some of the best in every Devil May Cry since the first.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
EDIT: Also Ninja Gaiden, not the retuned version Black but the original... Alma, that *****. It made me break 4 controllers and gave me a series of serious fucking migraines. I finally just decided to break the damn disc.
The trick to beating that chick is to get ballsy and Flying Swallow her during her vulnerable periods. Thing is, the game randomly decides when she's vulnerable or not so you need to keep hitting her with it and hope for the best. Also, KEEP MOVING ALWAYS and make yourself AS HARD A TARGET as possible so she'll have massive troubles hitting you with anything.

Follow that, and you should nail her in a couple attempts or less. But uh... If you broke your disc... Ah well.

Glongpre said:
In the original Ninja Gaiden...couldn't you just spam flying swallow on all the bosses? I remember reading that they changed that in Black because it made the game too easy.
Yep. Most enemies in Black will now either block it or counter attack you if you try to spam it now.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
scorptatious said:
Thanks for the tips. And you hit it dead on with "if it's their first SMT game and they have no idea what to expect." That was exactly my problem. I had no idea how hardcore the games were, I just picked it up because I loved the art style and the idea of recruiting demons. It was a hard (but fun) lesson to learn q_q

Diablo2000 said:
Sniparoo!
Like Scorp said - he was tough if you had no idea what was coming. I was still fresh faced and wide-eyed to world of RPGs (yea, yea... I was a very late bloomer). I had no idea the game would get so hard so fast. Especially when I was skipping half the random battles because I wanted to see Dante, haha.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
EDIT: Also Ninja Gaiden, not the retuned version Black but the original... Alma, that *****. It made me break 4 controllers and gave me a series of serious fucking migraines. I finally just decided to break the damn disc.
The trick to beating that chick is to get ballsy and Flying Swallow her during her vulnerable periods. Thing is, the game randomly decides when she's vulnerable or not so you need to keep hitting her with it and hope for the best. Also, KEEP MOVING ALWAYS and make yourself AS HARD A TARGET as possible so she'll have massive troubles hitting you with anything.

Follow that, and you should nail her in a couple attempts or less. But uh... If you broke your disc... Ah well.

Glongpre said:
In the original Ninja Gaiden...couldn't you just spam flying swallow on all the bosses? I remember reading that they changed that in Black because it made the game too easy.
Yep. Most enemies in Black will now either block it or counter attack you if you try to spam it now.
Ahh, Ninja Gaiden. I have beaten all the bosses but I spent literally months one time trying to get past Zedonius during my mentor run in NGS2 with no Ninpo and almost no healing items left. The no Ninpo was the problem. I got him down to close to nothing a few times but his lackeys make it completely hit and miss. Before you ask, this is the first Zed, the "easy" one. In the second battle you can just run to another island and avoid his buddies ...

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Twyce said:
scorptatious said:
Thanks for the tips. And you hit it dead on with "if it's their first SMT game and they have no idea what to expect." That was exactly my problem. I had no idea how hardcore the games were, I just picked it up because I loved the art style and the idea of recruiting demons. It was a hard (but fun) lesson to learn q_q

Diablo2000 said:
Sniparoo!
Like Scorp said - he was tough if you had no idea what was coming. I was still fresh faced and wide-eyed to world of RPGs (yea, yea... I was a very late bloomer). I had no idea the game would get so hard so fast. Especially when I was skipping half the random battles because I wanted to see Dante, haha.
Believe me, I had no idea he was coming. What most likely happened was since I went blind I got lost really early on so I griding the whole way throught until I eventually found myself, so I was probably more leved up and had better demons than most players would have been.
One thing that I learned about SMT over the years is that always, ALWAYS will have that one moment, enemy or boss that will scream "Welcome to Shin Megami Tensei, ************! Have a nice day!" and murder you.

Now I got stuck on Belius in Tales of Vesperia, she would be a easy enough boss if not for the fact that half way trought the lights in the arena go out and she clones herself.
"Ok, then" I thought "I just use Rita to relight the lights using fireball, that way the clone will go away.", except that fireball takes for FUCKING EVER to cast and all party mates seen to die before they are any use as distraction, also Belius can and will put the fires I managed to light out. So... Yeah. Fuck.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Not technically a boss but its a boss style section of Planetary Annihilation. There are 4 or 5 or so factions that exist on the galactic campaign map (single-player mode) and each faction has a home planetary system on which you face 3/4 enemy commanders. for reference the usual number you face in battle is one. It becomes especially difficult when they exist on other planets and have the technology to bombard your forces to oblivion with asteroids, happily sacrificing one of their own to annihilate you...

I wouldn't mind too much if I got another go but if you lose then you lose the entire campaign and have to start again...

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
Cavouku said:
I'm honestly a little surprised no one brought this up earlier: Musclefoot from Starfox Adventures.

I think my game was glitched or something, because I couldn't beat him with a TURBO CONTROLLER!

For anyone unfamiliar: there's a point in Starfox Adventures where you wind up in a dinosaur village and have to do a couple tests, one being a test of strength where you have to mash A on the gamecube controller to shove "Musclefoot" into a poit (via some double-ended paddle contraption).

I never got past that. I swear to God. Turbo Controller.
Ahh you've refreshed my memory about that. I raged hard at that part until I realized it's not about pressing the A button as quickly as possible it's about establishing a steady rhythm. No matter how fast you hammer the A button you'll lose. Just do a rhythmic, repetitive speed and you'll win. The whole event is just really odd.

You're shitting me. Is it really that simple?

Well fuck. That's good news. Now I know that when I rebuild my Gamecube collection (boy do I regret selling it) I can actually beat Starfox Adventures for the first time ever.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
The boost boss in Metroid Prime 2 Echoes. It's tough as nails, has attack patterns that are impossible to predict AND you're taking constant damage from the environment! Never beat him so I still don't know what happened between Metroid Prime and Corruption!