Boy Kills Brother After Videogame Argument

Toga112

May 28, 2008
Skeleon said:
You can't blame a little kid for being stupid and irrational.
The father's to blame, for the reasons sirdanrhodes and Warrior Irme already stated.
You can't really blame the dad just because he has a gun. Improper teaching of how dangerous a gun is and improper dicipline of the child, however, can be blamed.

xChevelle24

Mar 10, 2009
Griever18 said:
Ganthrinor said:
TARDCHECKED.

Thank you Darrious Finley for removing yourself from the Gene Pool.
I love how people say that. I mean, a child just got killed, no one seems to be mourning the loss of a FUCKING 9 YEAR OLD CHILD!! Everyone asking who's to blame, and some people are even praising the fact that the kid is dead.

Am I the only one that thinks that's just a bit sick?
People die every day, and in worse ways than this. Mourning a death isn't going to do shit. It's kinda like arguing with an umpire in baseball after a call has already been made; it's not going to change a damn thing.

Back on topic though: Sad tragedy, which is why I am glad that when my brother and I fight over games that my father doesn't have a gun lying around the house, because my brother is as close to bipolar as it gets. But some kids just take video games way too seriously, and then shit gets out of hand, that's all.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
If a nine year old is not socially mature enough to realize that after killing his brother there will not only be repercussions and he will overall regret it, then I don't know what kind of world wer'e living in. Oh, i've just realised: A STUPID one.

Roffey123

Apr 27, 2008
Therumancer said:
As far as where the gun was, well all comments by liberals about firearms "safety" aside, during a home invasion the bad guys aren't going to wait to let you unlock your gun, unlock your ammo on the other side of the house, and then load your gun.

>>>----Therumancer--->
[SADISM ALERT] No offense mate, but I'd rather use something like a baseball bat and get up close and personal - bullets lack that satisfying "clunk-smack-crack" that a baseball bat does over someone else's ribs and/or arm. And besides, shouldn't you want to incapacitate the intruder rather than outright killing him? And another thing - isn't it basic firearms safety to NOT have your weapons loaded while in storage? AND to make sure its put in an area where they cannot be easily got at by children, at the very least?

Other than that, I agree, children should be taught as early as possible to respect guns as a tool and as a weapon - which obviously these kids had not been taught enough, and they and their father paid the price for that. A very sad case to be sure.

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
Imagine if one kid was boasting to the other kid about a higher grade or test score when the pissed off kid decided to shoot the boasting kid. Would they blame the school and educational system?

Moccamonster

May 22, 2009
So apparently their father leaves a shotgun in children's reach, which is either loaded, or the ammo is near and the child somehow knows how to reload it.

But OF COURSE it's the fault of videogames!

I would've like to see what people said if the argument was about a cookie or something. Then they'd probably have more attention to real problems.

May 7, 2008
Warrior Irme said:
sirdanrhodes said:
I blame the father for having his gun in a place where the boy could get his hands on it.
Not only that, but he should also be blamed for teaching his 9 year old how to load and fire a shotgun, that is left where the boy can get it.
yes...

thebestaround21 said:
I don't blame the father I blame the overreaction of the nine year old.
no blame the parent for not being a ''parent'' ...seriously isn't he the one that needs to be questioned about this?

-____- that child's state of mind is fucked up

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
bue519 said:
No trust me your not, I got a knot in my stomach after reading the headline and the fact the other kid isn't going to be punished is also really disturbing. I think that the parents should also be charged with negligence.
From the description, the younger brother obtained and loaded the shotgun; and while the older one was taking it away from him, it discharged and killed the younger. If that's true, then it wasn't the older brother's fault. At all.

The reason people are talking about the guns and the father are because IT'S THE FATHER'S FAULT (or whoever last put away the gun) that his younger son is dead. Whether it's from not teaching his children respect for weapons that they have access to (and most/all children don't have a strict moral or disciplinary internal code to the degree that you can trust them with lethal weapons, no matter how much you've talked to them and they seem to understand), or from not properly securing the gun and ammo so a nine year old child couldn't get his hands on them.

Ushario

Mar 6, 2009
Griever18 said:
Ganthrinor said:
TARDCHECKED.

I love how people say that. I mean, a child just got killed, no one seems to be mourning the loss of a FUCKING 9 YEAR OLD CHILD!! Everyone asking who's to blame, and some people are even praising the fact that the kid is dead.

Yea that seemed a bit off to me as well.

Poor kid, thats one hell of a bad day. Thats gonna screw his brother up for a long time.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Okay, I'll say a few things about this case: yes, it is sad that a 9-year-old died, but it is also his fault for being so childish, even by the standards of a 9-year-old. Most 9-year-old kids I've met treat video games as fun, regardless of who wins. Sure, they still gripe a little when they lose, but they rarely say or do anything that will harm others (the most I've seen is a nine-year-old trying to curse me out, and failing miserably). And it is also the father's fault for leaving the shotgun and ammo for it in plain sight (or at least not locked up somewhere safely out of reach from his kids). Now, I know that kids don't really have much in the way of understanding the consequences of real violence, but the kid was 9 years old, so he should have known better by then. Most people, from my experience, understand the connection between, say stabbing or shooting someone and their imminent death. From the sound of things, that 9-year-old hadn't gotten that connection yet. So, really, again, regardless of what game those kids were playing, its the parents' fault for not paying more attention to their kids.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Toga112 said:
Skeleon said:
You can't blame a little kid for being stupid and irrational.
The father's to blame, for the reasons sirdanrhodes and Warrior Irme already stated.
You can't really blame the dad just because he has a gun. Improper teaching of how dangerous a gun is and improper dicipline of the child, however, can be blamed.
As well as improperly storing his gun and teaching a little kid how to load it. All 4 combined sound like the parents' fault to me (and specifically the dad's since it's his gun according to the article).

BBLIZZARD

Jun 19, 2008
Kross said:
The brothers were playing a death simulator, and the older bother, fresh off the high of virtually disemboweling his younger brother, gloats maniacally. The younger brother, driven over the edge by the combination of the adrenaline from murder simulating and his recent e-defeat, remembers where his dad stored his shotgun. And every gamer knows shotguns are the best short range solution in a firefight.

He carefully loads the barrels, but his older brother recognizes the familiar sound of a shotgun loading near the area of the weapon spawn point. He charges in to melee range, prepared for the inevitable quicktime struggle. Then, the older sibling valiantly mashes his brother's face to disable the shotgun, but fails to stop short of the final button press that resulted in an instant kill. In the cutscene after the battle, he realizes that his enemy was actually his younger brother, and unlike their other battles, Aeris dies.
Haha, I think you got into the journalist mindset perfectly.

It's really pathetic that scapegoats are used so frequently, especially seeing as it was an accidental death and the vidoegame was barely related to the incident.

On a sidenote, I'm sure a few journalists will say the kid was killed because he was playing a violent videogame, but what if the videogame arguments/deaths are over games like Mariokart?

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Kross said:
bue519 said:
No trust me your not, I got a knot in my stomach after reading the headline and the fact the other kid isn't going to be punished is also really disturbing. I think that the parents should also be charged with negligence.
From the description, the younger brother obtained and loaded the shotgun; and while the older one was taking it away from him, it discharged and killed the younger. If that's true, then it wasn't the older brother's fault. At all.

The reason people are talking about the guns and the father are because IT'S THE FATHER'S FAULT (or whoever last put away the gun) that his younger son is dead. Whether it's from not teaching his children respect for weapons that they have access to (and most/all children don't have a strict moral or disciplinary internal code to the degree that you can trust them with lethal weapons, no matter how much you've talked to them and they seem to understand), or from not properly securing the gun and ammo so a nine year old child couldn't get his hands on them.
Well, I think that there is a bit more of this story than their letting one. Why else would the older brother attempted to lie and say he shot himself, but then changed his story around. Now in most cases lying to police is a criminal offense, regardless I don't feel that the older boy can be trusted to give truthful testimony. And I never argued that it wasn't the fathers fault too. I mean what can you expect when you leave shotguns and ammunitions lying around the house. So I'm not really sure why you make a big speech about that.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Two things on my mind, why were two young children able to get a hold of the shotgun.
and secondly
Why did the father not hide it or lock it up?

Player 2

Feb 20, 2009
Griever18 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
jthm said:
I dunno guys. Sad and all, but we just lost a child who thought the best solution to losing at a video game was to load a weapon and threaten his brother.
You mean your brothers don't do that? Jeez, one of mine would try and knife me while the other would kidney punch me if I ever won that much.
My sister broke my nose with a broken ceiling fan blade.
I broke my brothers nose with a plastic policeman's helmet. My brother's 6 years older then me, I felt like batman or something.

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
BBLIZZARD said:
Kross said:
The brothers were playing a death simulator, and the older bother, fresh off the high of virtually disemboweling his younger brother, gloats maniacally. The younger brother, driven over the edge by the combination of the adrenaline from murder simulating and his recent e-defeat, remembers where his dad stored his shotgun. And every gamer knows shotguns are the best short range solution in a firefight.

He carefully loads the barrels, but his older brother recognizes the familiar sound of a shotgun loading near the area of the weapon spawn point. He charges in to melee range, prepared for the inevitable quicktime struggle. Then, the older sibling valiantly mashes his brother's face to disable the shotgun, but fails to stop short of the final button press that resulted in an instant kill. In the cutscene after the battle, he realizes that his enemy was actually his younger brother, and unlike their other battles, Aeris dies.
Haha, I think you got into the journalist mindset perfectly.

It's really pathetic that scapegoats are used so frequently, especially seeing as it was an accidental death and the vidoegame was barely related to the incident.

On a sidenote, I'm sure a few journalists will say the kid was killed because he was playing a violent videogame, but what if the videogame arguments/deaths are over games like Mariokart?
Well ANY game is violent. Kid killed during fight over Mario Kart? He was driven to do so because he was just murdering other racers with the mighty Blue Shell. Teen kills himself and roomate over a Madden match? He felt the criminal drive to beat his friend to death after constantly ramming into othe human beings.

See. Any game is violent to the media, its all in the wording.

Dragonrabbit

Nov 15, 2008
Griever18 said:
Ganthrinor said:
TARDCHECKED.

I was thinking the same thing, the other kid is 11! I don't know about everyone else, but I was just as stupid when I was 11. If I had an idiot father who taught me how to use a shotgun, and that he left lying around, I would've shot my brother 1,000 times. That being said, I blame the father.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
It does seem that the videogame thing that was merely the context, has been taken as the root of the problem by the media. This isn't a new thing, but it is still disheartening, when the father admits to teaching the kid how to shoot and load a gun.
Kids don't have the same moral ethics at a young age, so them being able to get hold of a shotgun is beyond irresponsible on the father's side. Kids argue over things all the time, and often react violently. I know my brother and I used to beat each other senseless. Good job he never had access to a gun, as he had no moral conscience as a kid. It seems to me that the only person or entity at fault here is the father, for not having the common sense to keep a gun out of the reach of his children. It's a very sad thing to happen, especially to the older brother, and I imagine that the father is punished enough by the results of his lack of foresight.