Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
axlryder said:
Andy Shandy said:
Souplex said:
I approve!
"Chang.org"?
Well some of the stuff there does encourage some to

Anyways, congratulations, a little less homophobia is always nice.
hmph, well all I have to say is:

OT: good for them and stuff.
Huh. That Youtube clip is...surprisingly appropriate.

Anyway, yeah: Good for them, I suppose.

Be the Chang you want to see in the world.

Mikoi

Sep 29, 2010
Gennadios said:
To my knowledge they still don't allow Atheists into the Scouts, so as far as I'm concerned they're still a bunch of backwards bigots.

Maybe this means the floodgates are open, though?
I'm not sure what its like over there, however, I know they let Atheists into the Australian Scouts (Not sure if its the same kind of thing as it is in the states)

Either way, OT, Good to hear at least things are moving in the right direction, even a small step for the gay community is a good one.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Mikoi said:
Gennadios said:
To my knowledge they still don't allow Atheists into the Scouts, so as far as I'm concerned they're still a bunch of backwards bigots.

Maybe this means the floodgates are open, though?
Yeah, that definitely isn't true. I used to be in the Scouts, and most of us were Atheists. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a still a ton of little oaths and whatnot that have the word "god" in them, but then again so does the Pledge of Allegiance. It's just out-dated traditions that don't really mean anything any more.

Although I won't argue that they're certainly backwards, in that they take themselves WAY too seriously. Those fucking uniforms are ridiculous. You know how many more members they would get if they just wore fuckin' T-shirts?

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
How would this ruin scouting? Parents afraid their precious young fragile kids will catch the gay?
I have no idea how this will ruin scouting? last time I checked the dictionary Scouts as an organization is meant to preserve the survival tradition and skills, survival in wilderness and unity amongst all scouts world wide. What does it have ANYTHING to do whether a scout is gay or not? Last time I checked when it comes to surviving in a forest you sexuality didn't really matter.
Does this mean that BSA do not think the other, specifically European scout organizations are not scouts? Because they accept gays as equals.

Also way to be about a half of a century behind the other scout organizations in the west. Well progress is progress is quesss, even when it is made at the haste of a glacier detaching from north pole.

Defenestra

Apr 16, 2009
See, this would have been forward-thinking and heroic in, say, the nineteen seventies.

It would have been brave and principled in the nineties.

Now it's actually kind of cowardly, as what they've done is just stopped demanding that gays be excluded, instead of stepping up and saying, "Not only are we going to not demand exclusion, but we are going to start cutting off chapters/franchises/whatedverthehelltheycallthem that tell people they cannot join because they are dudes who would prefer to kiss dudes."

Still, I guess it's progress that non-straight boys can now join up to learn all the skills they will need to be productive members of society if they are caught in a time vortex and returned to Earth in the 1600s, and the kind of firm moral principles that it takes to be ten years late to the begrudging acceptance party.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
I don't know of anyone else made a pedophiliac boy scout leader joke but.... Whatever

Guess the boy scout commander is happy not to pull at straws on who to buck next!

Aaah, sounded funnier in my head...

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Xan Krieger said:
So next will they allow women to join? And maybe the girl scouts will accept male members. It's a private club, can't they decide who can and can't join?
You know what I think it would be great that they do? How about just "Scouts" and kids who want to be all outdoorsy and team style social get more of the Boy Scouts elements and kids who want to be really domestic and community/networking social get more of the Girl Scouts elements and gender need not be a consideration?
MEANWHILE, IN BRITAIN...

Yeah, at least as far as my scout troop was concerned, we totally let girls in. And our scouts had some more modern stuff, like the Computing and Electronics badge. (Although, you know, Electronics to them was soldering a simple battery & light bulb circuit together without making anything break...) I'm pretty sure that's true across the country, and I'm pretty sure we don't give a damn about religion, gays, or anything else, either.

So, yeah, about the only thing most people over here would think if you told them "The American Scouts are allowing gays!" Would be "What, and they weren't before? What took them?"

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Katatori-kun said:
No, they're not "pretty damn close". They're completely different. I asked what relevance BSA have to modern life, at worst implying that they do no harm but provide no great benefit. "Better off without," would mean that I believe they do more harm than good and that we should get rid of them- an opinion I never expressed. An opinion you made up.

Face it, you saw someone saying something mildly negative (or rather not positive) about BSA and you jumped to wild conclusions in order to defend your tribe. The graceful thing to do at this point would be for you to apologize and drop it so we can both move on to more important things.
You definitely implied that the Boy Scouts are not very important. Vuliev clearly does not agree with you and made some good points.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
6th And Silver said:
Huh. That Youtube clip is...surprisingly appropriate.

Anyway, yeah: Good for them, I suppose.

Be the Chang you want to see in the world.
Surprisingly appropriate? You give my highly calculated video placement too little credit, Sir.

now if you'll excuse me

[sub]I'm kidding I'm not calling you gay oh god please don't report me I'm allergic to warnings
[/sub]

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Souplex said:
I approve!
"Chang.org"?
Well some of the stuff there does encourage some to

Anyways, congratulations, a little less homophobia is always nice.

Sorry had to be done.
EDIT - Well god damned bloody ninjas!

OT - This is excellent news, but it should not have taken this long. Seriously.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Valkrex said:
About fucking time... I really don't understand why people hate homosexuals.
That's not quite what it is all about.

Vuliev summed everything up nicely, Katatori-kun is living on the edge right now and working hard on getting the boot. I find the boy scouts and girl scouts to be quite important, and I myself experienced them to be rather all-inclusive, complete with singing merry negro spirituals and jewish songs.

However, sex was never an issue until that one guide that was a bit too close and a bit too naked most of the time. We didn't know what was going on, but after we opened up to our parents, he was soon gone. I wonder why? He was the only guide we saw naked, and he was pretty much the first adult I've seen naked apart from my parents. I know I did not mind my parents being naked, but him... I did mind, yes.

It's not about sex, and there is nothing to deconstruct or patch together in a haphazard gender-politics way. I do not hate homosexuals, how could I possibly. But I maintain the position that any 'sex' has no place in the boy scouts. Apart from wanking in unison, maybe, but that's an activity peers can participate in if so inclined, guides and adults excluded.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Blunderboy said:
Mega Ultra Snip!
You know what I've realised?

Chang would make a fantastic scout leader.

I mean, look at all the badges he has.

And then there's the sage-like advice he could give out to everyone.

And finally, he's also experienced in warning others about the dangers of drugs.

So let's have some Chang we can believe in. Señor Chang for President 2013! Scout Leader.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
So gays can now join he scouts, as long as they believe, all they need to do now is accept kids that do not profess a particular faith and they can finally be an all accepting group. A true benetton ad of unity.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
So next will they allow women to join? And maybe the girl scouts will accept male members. It's a private club, can't they decide who can and can't join?
When I was in the scouts we had three girls in our patrol. Camps were great fun.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Better (very, very) late than never. I'm glad for everyone involved.

This reminds me of that issue with the gay gamer conventions. They could've just started their own Scouts-like organization that was accepting, or even exclusive to, LGBT, but they chose not to, because ignoring the problem won't fix it, and would only make it worse.