Brand-New StarCraft II Commercial Leaked Early

Kebabco

Jun 5, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
It looks nice but it looks a bit... uniformative. It looks more like a Action-RPG than an RTS. I think they should've put a gameplay video in there...

Other than that it's nice eye-candy.
This totally, the images in the trailer totally do not represent the rather sterile view of the battlefield you have in RTS's.

PS: does anyone remember this 1? Another game winning the prize for non-informing trailers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0W7LV54DCA

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Awesome advert, and yes, tells you precisely nothing about the game.

Come to think of it I can't remember of the last time I heard someone refer to an Apple computer as a Macintosh :)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
lumenadducere said:
Heh, you can always trust Blizzard to have some fantastic cutscenes. I'm still torn as to whether I want to get it right away and then get the zerg/protoss campaign expansions or if I just want to wait for the inevitable battle chest that's going to contain them all. On the one hand, I loves me some SC II and I really want to get better (I really suck right now), but on the other my bank account would like me more if I waited. Decisions, decisions...
I love Blizzard for their cinematics. What makes them even more awesome is they do the gameplay as good as well. My copy is reserved, my money in the bank. Just need Mengsk's head on a pike, and life will be perfect.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Ne1butme said:
I'm curious. What is your acceptable limit? Starcraft2 requires battle.net for multi-player and a single online activation for single-player.
I didn't know that, as far as Star Craft goes I've been under a bit of rock.

Acceptable limits to me are offline systems only for single player, even Steam can be used offline for single player games. The ability to use multiple PC's with one account/game disc and nothing being always on.

Nothing especially out there but increasingly hard to find all the same.
There is one very annoying aspect to the DRM. 1 account per disc. And it's region-locked. in the beta, we couldn't create multiple names or accounts. So, everyone in your house-hold will have to use the same account, or purchase separate versions of the games. I understand why Blizzard is doing this. In WC3, it was easy to create a new account, then newb-stomp until your account got too high in the ladder. Then you just do it all over again.

However, i feel this limits the flexibility too much. If i normally play protoss in the ladder, and i get fairly high, I really can't try switching to another race cause my rank will drop a ton as i experiment and learn the race. That happened a lot in the beta. I played protoss and earned my way into the gold league (starting in bronze). But i wanted to try zerg. But now i was stuck in the gold league, trying to learn a race that I've never really used. I got completely annihilated, and then was demoted to silver. If the beta had lasted longer, probably would have been demoted all the way back to bronze.

In my perfect solution, i would get to have 2 user-names/ladder accounts. 1 for when i'm trying to rank up in the ladder, and 1 for practice. Or give us the ability to reset our ladder rank, so we can start over and try a new race with other relatively inexperience players.

Same applies to multiple users in the same household. Growing up, my brother and i both played SC1 on our shared PC. But we had our own online identities. But in SC2, unless multiple accounts are allowed, we would have to purchase 2 copies of the game, even though only one would ever be used at a time. Same goes with region locking. If you want to play with Americans one night, and a friend in europe the next night, you need two copies, with 1 assigned to each realm.

So, these are the DRM issues i know of. Better to be aware of them now then get pissed off later.

ChunX

Mar 20, 2009
And someone hasn't thrown 200 million at Blizzard to make a feature, why?

This commercial made me pee a little...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
Eruanno said:
Disaster Button said:
The woman at 0:12 seconds looks exactly like the Eldar Farseer from the Dawn of War II cinematic intro, except with different armour.
...You mean Sarah Kerrigan?
Because that HAS to be Kerrigan, right? Alone, fighting a gazillion zerg, left by mr. Jerkface Mengsk, later to be swooped up into a nice little egg.

Goddamn I love Kerrigan. She's one of the best video game villains ever.
Yeah, that has to be Kerrigan. She's in the Ghost outfit as seen by Nova, and if you look closely, the face is almost identical to the Infested Kerrigan face we see a close-up of earlier.
I wonder what this will mean...

Zanez

Aug 8, 2008
Representative of Gameplay?
Youtube it. Millions of vids out there of gameplay. Us beta players know the gameplay... we want to see the CINEMATICS!!!

ORGASM!!!! CAN'T WAIT TILL RELEASE SO I CAN QUELL THE URGE FOR SC STORY!

In SC2, there is a cinematic flashback of Kerrigan as she got left behind for the Zerg by mengsk. It is just a flashback.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow! That is...wow! Can I has now? Lol. So glad got it preordered!

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
In SC1, there was no cutscene for this, just voice acting during the end of a mission. This new flashback looks amazing.

But yep, that is Kerrigan, and yes, that is a flashback to when that evil bastard Arcturus Mengsk decided to leave her behind, hoping to take out a key player without getting his hands dirty, while simultaneously breaking Raynor's heart.

Oh the irony. Kerrigan came back as one of Mengsk's absolute worst enemies ever. Can't wait to continue the story. Have to admit, as someone else mentioned, pre-infested Kerrigan looks quite similar to the Eldar Farseer in Dawn of War 2. Ah well, it was bound to happen.

Also, Nova has been confirmed to appear as a cameo in the game. It may be a small mission or something.

To those complaining about how the commercial shows no gameplay: It's a commercial. It's kind of hard to show off the full aspects of an RTS game in a short TV commercial. You'd just see a bunch of units shooting flashy stuff at each other.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Eruanno said:
Disaster Button said:
The woman at 0:12 seconds looks exactly like the Eldar Farseer from the Dawn of War II cinematic intro, except with different armour.
Because that HAS to be Kerrigan, right? Alone, fighting a gazillion zerg, left by mr. Jerkface Mengsk, later to be swooped up into a nice little egg.

She is my all time favorite Villian

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
From the trailer I might pick up a copy to give it a go but the graphics dont look anywhere near as good in the game as they are there.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
When will I get to see this video? I hope they let it be uploaded again after it airs.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Wow, that was fast. They must actually have watchdogs looking for leaked versions. This is a shame, as I, and I think this might be how a lot of gamers are, don't watch NBA at all.

...Maybe it's the reverse of what we think, and the NBA is paying Blizzard to air it during the game to get more people to watch it.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Yeah... an NBA GAME?!?! Look, I don't see ads for Gatoraide and sports equipment in my gaming mags.

How about advertising Starcraft to people who care about Starcraft? Just a thought. I'm sure that prime-time NBA airtime is crazy expensive, all to put the game in front of a lot of people who won't care.

I will remember this next time Bobby Kotick pokes his gopher face up out of a hole and starts bitching about how expensive it is to make games these days.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Eruanno said:
Disaster Button said:

Yeah, she's pretty much the queen ***** of the universe.