Brawlers

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Okay. Grabbed MK11 on humble, so I now have a modern one (I expect a jump from my amiga MK). Not installing it immediately, these are backloggy days. And anxious about its tolerance to keyboards. But I'll try it soon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay. Grabbed MK11 on humble, so I now have a modern one (I expect a jump from my amiga MK). Not installing it immediately, these are backloggy days. And anxious about its tolerance to keyboards. But I'll try it soon.
That's a tournament fighter, unless MK11 has a brawler mode. And if memory serves me, it doesn't. Good buy though.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
That's a tournament fighter, unless MK11 has a brawler mode. And if memory serves me, it doesn't. Good buy though.
Ah. I wasn't making the distinction. I used to lump tournament fighters and brawlers in the same general category of beat'em up. Probably made more sense at a time were beat'em ups were occasionally less side-scrolling than opening on new scenes, bridging the genres (like, what would Ninja Mission be ?).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I used to lump tournament fighters and brawlers in the same general category of beat'em up. Probably made more sense at a time were beat'em ups were occasionally less side-scrolling than opening on new scenes, bridging the genres (like, what would Ninja Mission be ?).
I do know back in the late 80s/most of the 90s, the two genres were often put into the same category within the UK and EU territories. The UK more or less used the correct distinctions and labels around the early 2000s with the rest of the EU following suit by the late 2000s.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Looks like the Ninja Saviors remaster is coming to steam. Neat.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Took Taito and Natsume long enough. 4 fucking years for a Steam port! Have fun with the game @Worgen.
I'll probable end up having to wait on getting it since Baldurs Gate 3 comes out soon and Amor Core 6 and they will probably want like $30 out of the gate for it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll probable end up having to wait on getting it since Baldurs Gate 3 comes out soon and Amor Core 6 and they will probably want like $30 out of the gate for it.
They should charge no more than $20. That's how much they charge for both the PS4 and Switch version digitally. The physical versions got charged at $30.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
They should charge no more than $20. That's how much they charge for both the PS4 and Switch version digitally. The physical versions got charged at $30.

Pocky and Rocky Reshrined launched for $30 on steam, so I'm assuming that. But would be nice if just $20, still not sure I would grab it immediatly, but I would be more tempted.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pocky and Rocky Reshrined launched for $30 on steam, so I'm assuming that. But would be nice if just $20, still not sure I would grab it immediatly, but I would be more tempted.
In terms of content, there is not a lot aside from unlocking Yaksha and Raiden. You need to beat the game twice with any character, to unlock them. First complete playthrough nets you Yaksha; second time nets you Raiden. You can unlock the SNES soundtrack (has to be beaten with either two unlockable) and Arcade soundtrack by beating the game. There is a co-op mode, but both of the players share the same life bar. The replay value of this game is going for 1CC with the fastest speed run. I really wish they didn't get rid of scoring. Natsume should have just made a separate score attack mode and boss rush mode. You can do a level select, but those are once again just for induvial fastest times, instead of an entire playthrough.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
In terms of content, there is not a lot aside from unlocking Yaksha and Raiden. You need to beat the game twice with any character, to unlock them. First complete playthrough nets you Yaksha; second time nets you Raiden. You can unlock the SNES soundtrack (has to be beaten with either two unlockable) and Arcade soundtrack by beating the game. There is a co-op mode, but both of the players share the same life bar. The replay value of this game is going for 1CC with the fastest speed run. I really wish they didn't get rid of scoring. Natsume should have just made a separate score attack mode and boss rush mode. You can do a level select, but those are once again just for induvial fastest times, instead of an entire playthrough.
I never cared about score things since online leader boards always get flooded by cheaters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never cared about score things since online leader boards always get flooded by cheaters.
I can see where you are coming from. DmC (2013) had the exact same problem on the PS3 and Xbox 360 leaderboards. There are people that would have to be their boards and put over 99 million something style points. Funny enough, The Definitive Edition actually fixed this issue. All the top numbers don't have impossibly high or over 99 million something style points.

It's still a nice option to have though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yesterday, I went to Galloping Ghost, the world's biggest arcade, and stumbled upon an absolute gem of a game. NINJA BASEBALL BATMAN. This game is just fucking amazing and oozing with creativity, it's easily the best beat'em up I've played from that era. The graphics and controls are great, the levels are great and unique, the enemy variety is off the charts; you're fighting furniture, playing cards, and slot machines at certain points. The bosses are also amazing, there's a ghost buffalo you fight that's made up of various objects and throws refrigerators at you. There's a slot machine boss where you see the slots in the background and can see the next thing that he's gonna throw out at you (kinda like how Tetris shows you the next block). The Angry Video Game Nerd's video below is like the perfect video to describe how amazing and insane the game is.

Apparently only 43 of the arcade machines made it to the US and I guess I got to play on one of them, pretty cool.

Reactions: Worgen

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Excellent find! From one Ninja Baseball Batman fan to another. Here's hoping Irem will get off their butts, do their Volume 2 collection soon enough, and include it and Undercover Cops.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Looks like there is a GI Joe brawler coming soon. Really puts me in mind of the style of TNMNT Shredders Revenge.

But, of course the question that everyone has is, where the fuck is THE song!?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wonder if it will play better then the first game. Granted I didn't play the full release but the pre-release demo just fell flat for me.