Brawlers

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never got into code of princess, I think that its only really on 2 horizontal paths instead of giving you normal brawler maneuver room annoyed me. I suppose I should give it a shot again, maybe once I finish the games I'm working on now since I'm also planning on doing the huge mod for Battletech so Princess would give me a controller game.
Most stages in CoP give you 3 horizontal planes like in Guardian Heroes. There are a few later levels and some challenge missions that only allow you to shift from 2 horizontal planes to increase the difficulty. You're thinking of Panzer Bandit and Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds. Both of those games only allowed 2 horizontal planes.

Streets of Rage 4 is just top tier.

Reactions: Worgen

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This is long video so while I'll try to watch/listen as much as I can because I'm in the market for something to play on my Steam Deck, I'd be curious to know which in your opinion are especially worth the attention.

Edit: I was referring to the video about brawlers/beat-em-ups

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is long video so while I'll try to watch/listen as much as I can because I'm in the market for something to play on my Steam Deck, I'd be curious to know which in your opinion are especially worth the attention.

Edit: I was referring to the video about brawlers/beat-em-ups
Just a heads up, a lot of the brawlers he mentioned are on the Sega Saturn or PlayStation 1. So you either need to import the games with their region specific console/region hacked, or run them on emulator. Unless you're Steam Deck can run an emulator; which I'm sure it can.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, interesting, a shooting based brawler. Haven't seen one of those in a long time. I know there were a few but at the moment the only thing I can think of is the Aliens arcade game and some of the stages in the Punisher brawler where you just whip out a gun and start shooting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hmm, interesting, a shooting based brawler. Haven't seen one of those in a long time. I know there were a few but at the moment the only thing I can think of is the Aliens arcade game and some of the stages in the Punisher brawler where you just whip out a gun and start shooting.
  • Aliens (Konami) - that one is more so a run and gun.
  • Alien Storm (Sega) - is more what you're thinking of.
  • Alien vs Predator Capcom
  • Cadillacs and Dinosaurs 🦖
  • Dynamite Deka/Cop series
  • Zombie Revenge
  • The Takeover
  • Red Star
  • Shank 1 & 2
  • Fighting Force
  • Odin's Sphere - when playing as Mercedes. She uses a crossbow.
  • Dragon's 👑 Crown - the Elf fights with a crossbow too.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
  • Aliens (Konami) - that one is more so a run and gun.
  • Alien Storm (Sega) - is more what you're thinking of.
  • Alien vs Predator Capcom
  • Cadillacs and Dinosaurs 🦖
  • Dynamite Deka/Cop series
  • Zombie Revenge
  • The Takeover
  • Red Star
  • Shank 1 & 2
  • Fighting Force
  • Odin's Sphere - when playing as Mercedes. She uses a crossbow.
  • Dragon's 👑 Crown - the Elf fights with a crossbow too.
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs had some guns but it didn't have a gun mode it went into. Same with Shank I think and Fighting Force, the others I don't remember.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs had some guns but it didn't have a gun mode it went into. Same with Shank I think and Fighting Force, the others I don't remember.
Shank counts, as he automatically started with dual pistols. At least in the first game. Plus, there are certain enemies you could only kill with guns or had to open them up for melee strikes. By using said guns. He definitely got more along the way and his gun arsenal expanded in the sequel.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Shank counts, as he automatically started with dual pistols. At least in the first game. Plus, there are certain enemies you could only kill with guns or had to open them up for melee strikes. By using said guns. He definitely got more along the way and his gun arsenal expanded in the sequel.
Ahh, I mainly just remember some knife kills, its been a long time since I played that.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Looks like we got a new Double Dragon game coming out. I'm torn, the pixel art looks good, but I'm not that down with the aesthetic and I don't like that it has an upgrade shop. I've never been into the River City type games with character upgrades, even River City Girls didn't do it for me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks like we got a new Double Dragon game coming out. I'm torn, the pixel art looks good, but I'm not that down with the aesthetic and I don't like that it has an upgrade shop. I've never been into the River City type games with character upgrades, even River City Girls didn't do it for me.

I'm excited for this. The upgrade shop doesn't look too intrusive. So long as they don't make the same mistakes as Scott Pilgrim, Double Dragon Neon, or River City Girls, then I'm all for it. The brawlers to do upgrade shops the best are Battle Circuit and Viewtiful Joe.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm excited for this. The upgrade shop doesn't look too intrusive. So long as they don't make the same mistakes as Scott Pilgrim, Double Dragon Neon, or River City Girls, then I'm all for it. The brawlers to do upgrade shops the best are Battle Circuit and Viewtiful Joe.
Hmm, well, I suppose we shall see. I'm still wondering if we will get a new Golden Axe, ala Streets of Rage 4.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hmm, well, I suppose we shall see. I'm still wondering if we will get a new Golden Axe, ala Streets of Rage 4.
I wish for the same. Sega has no excuse not to do another game at this point. Sega outsources their old IPs to developers or publishers that care more for their old non-Sonic/Yakuza franchises, than they do.