Breaking Up the Facebook Way

joinchoir

meme meme meme
Apr 4, 2010
Facebook turns your network of friends into the online equivalent of a small town and in a small town everyone knows everyone else's business. Your friends and neighbors are there to help you through the hard times. It seems like a natural progression for Facebook to be used for asking people out as well as breaking up with them.

Mr. McFuzzers

Jun 7, 2010
Wow, this is ironic becuase one of my friends was broken up through Facebook today.

OT:
In all honesty it depends on the girl. If a girl is a decent person then I will break up with her in person but if the girl is a pyschopathic ***** then she's going to get a facebook break up. Yes, I know that pissing off a pyschopath is not a good idea but at least if you break up with her through facebook you could have time to run.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I don't myself particularly surprised. People have been doing the same thing for quite some time now, just Facebook is another outlet for doing these same things. It does make sense. I have heard of people breaking up over the phone, over a text-message, and even through notes stuck through locker doors. Human behavior in this matter hasn't changed much, but the methods in which they use as outlet for them, has.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Now if only bosses could hack into facebook accounts & switch job status to unemployed....

oxiclean

May 12, 2010
i've never had a girlfriend (that is an entirely different story), but i've always assumed that if i were to break it off, i'd do it in a gentlemanly way. take her out to dinner and such, and then let her down as easy as possible. i dont really know what to think about these statistics, and what they say about this generation of teenagers...

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
That's horrible. Seriously, unless the person is the type who'd flip out and start breaking things, there's no reason not to have some decency and do it in person. Doing it over Facebook just means that the time together was so unimportant to you that it's not even worth it for you to show basic respect for the other person by telling it to their face.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Samurai Goomba said:
That's so lame. It's like, the more technology advances the easier it is for gutless people to break relationships off.

Be honest and direct-face to face is the first choice. If that doesn't work, phone. If not that, email or text. If everything else fails, THEN FB.

The exception to this rule being ZeroMachine's example of somebody who intentionally cuts his or herself off so as to avoid a breakup by not being reachable.
I agree with this almost completely... I put MySpace a little lower on the food chain than Facebook, and being Tweeted "we're through" is probably the worst XD
Forgot about Twitter. Funny how no matter how insulting or gutless a way I can think of to end relationships, there's always something even less honest out there as an option.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Never been dumped nor have I dumped someone over Facebook. One must have a face to face conversation for this kind of misery.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
likalaruku said:
Now if only bosses could hack into facebook accounts & switch job status to unemployed....

[and your image's been snipped]
What an awesome thing! I wonder if anyone's told their boss that they've quit their job on facebook... I know for a fact that someone got fired for claiming sick and then having the pics of a weekend long concert all over her wall!

edit: I laughed because I just searched and found my old bosse's account... she was already pissed at me, imagine if it was over facebook taht I told her I wasn't coming in! :D Oh god, I dont' know how anyone would hire me after something like that.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Hooray for the internet. Now we never have to afford anyone a tiny bit of courtesy or respect ever again.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I probably wouldn't bother changing my status to in a relationship anyway. I barely use facebook, and it's not like anyone actually cares.

My1stLuvJak

Jan 28, 2010
I'm in my early twenties, and I completely agree: I can't see myself ever using a social networking site to cut ties with a significant other.

Honestly, I kind of hate Facebook - some of my friends who live in the same city, ones that see eachother all the time, use Facebook to plan their lives...I'd way rather pick up the phone and call someone, or just use text messaging.

G-X

Nov 5, 2008
Furburt said:
Frankly, and I hate making generalizations, but if you do this, you're a shit. If you have the balls to do something as totally emotionally stunted as that, you probably don't deserve a loving relationship.
I WAS 15 YEARS OLD GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK

azurawolf

Apr 27, 2009
Well i may not be able to say much about my ex but he broke up with me face-to-face. I respected him more for that then to leave me a not on the bed beside my head (a friend of mine broke up with his gf like that. Lame!)

I think it is cowardly to break up with somebody like that. The only way I would do something like that would be if the guy was a complete ass and had it coming and I didn't want a damn thing to do with him again or if I was too scared to go near him.