Britain Blocks Hacker's US Extradition on Human Rights Grounds

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Tiamattt said:
Not fond of the precedent this sets. "If I'm messed up enough I can commit whatever crimes I want in another country". At least make him stand trial first, they can sort out the terms of his imprisonment if he's found guilty. It's not like UK prisons would be all sunshine and rainbows, and I seriously doubt the US has absolutely no place to put prisoners with special needs.
I think that if the US wants to be treated with less hostility than this, it should showcase more examples of the courts not always siding with the American firms. In past few years, everything with Assange, Dotcom and more recently the deplorable Apple vs Samsung case have only helped harden the idea that if you want a fair trial as a non-US citizen, the US is one of the last places you'll get it.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
My personal opinion that if he had been extradited to the US, the last thing he would have seen was a prison.

If the US security had any sense, they would have been looking to employ him in thier cyber defence. He did, after all, amanage to do that capacity of damage from his mum's computer on a dial up.

This entire situation was a farce and I am, for once, remarkably impressed with the Tories for suggesting that the UK may just have a spine.

And, of course, if we had any common sense, we would be offering him a job in our national security, not a prison sentence.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
[youtube]http://youtu.be/p6fYMzKvXxg [/youtube]

This reminds me of how much Dan Bull has sold out recently.

He went from being mostly ignored by media writing songs about Garry Mckinnon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6fYMzKvXxg

To being the darling of the escapist doing this- can I call it pandering? Is that a litlle extreme?- err, content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPg8qKIbIYU&feature=plcp

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Funny how the UK is more than willing to protect this kid so that he doesn't kill himself, but they can't be bothered to reassure Julian Assange that he won't be extradited to the US from Sweden for capital punishment.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
tbh, if some guy is this good a hacker, why don't they just go, fine you hacked all our networks, do you want a job stopping other people to do the same thing?

RionP

Feb 22, 2012
This is fantastic news. The american prison system has greater resemblence to that of a third world dictatorship than any actual civilised society. While the "'MERICA FUCK YEAH!" guys might believe it the only thing hardcore criminials deserve, no nation valuing the universality and fundamentality of basic human rights should extradit anyone to the US.

exessmirror

Apr 26, 2011
scotth266 said:
Fine, try him in the UK then. So long as we're not mistakenly under the assumption that you can hack Pentagon computers and get off with absolutely no repercussions just because you have a disorder.
as far as i see it he didn't do anything wrong in GB as such he should not be tried. from what you write i assume you are an american in that case you should stop thinking you are the world. you are not the same as you where 10 years ago. if not why so pro American? i have nothing against americans but all good (and bad) things come from Canada now days

captcha: super star, the guy is now captcha

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
NightowlM said:
Gilhelmi said:
Modern Prisons afford many rights, privileges, access to good mental healthcare, and access to good regular healthcare.
You're kidding right. You can't seriously think that. Because in the US that's a load of bullshit. Our prisons are shitholes.

We don't treat people that need extra care well here. Take the case of trans women being thrown into male prisons despite their gender identities and is basically throwing them to the sharks.
"snip the vid"
OK, that is an unfortunate loophole in our justice system, right now the courts do not recognize transgendered women if they still have their "original equipment" (but most do recognize them as women if they installed the vajayjay). BUT here is the thing, how many countries in the world do? I bet I could count them on one hand, but even money for less then 10.

Are our prisons the best in the world, no, I think Norway wins that game. But we are in the top 10.

Is America perfect, no. Are we trying, yes. Is America safer than say Mexico or Brazil, Heck yes. Also, we do have geriatric (elderly care) facilities, many (even some first-world nations) do not yet do. We pass medication, that is only $3 dollars per prescription, not per/pill, 30 day supply. They have access to legal libraries, regular libraries, any religious organization you can think of and many more you have never heard of, they can even gain job experience that they can use as a reference when they get out. In fact, our prisons see a surge in population in the late fall when it is cold out, the Homeless/Vagrants know what laws too break so they get arrested and sent to jail for the winter, warm bed and three square meals a day.

Lastly, this does not apply to this case because Gary McKinnon is not becoming a woman (as far as I know). I just said all this because a prisons are a lot nicer then people give them credit. I would not want too live there only because criminals are there too.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
exessmirror said:
scotth266 said:
Fine, try him in the UK then. So long as we're not mistakenly under the assumption that you can hack Pentagon computers and get off with absolutely no repercussions just because you have a disorder.
as far as i see it he didn't do anything wrong in GB as such he should not be tried. from what you write i assume you are an american in that case you should stop thinking you are the world. you are not the same as you where 10 years ago. if not why so pro American? i have nothing against americans but all good (and bad) things come from Canada now days

captcha: super star, the guy is now captcha
He broke UK law. It is a crime to attack or spy on another nation without the governments permission. If he gets off with no time, America will assume that he had the UK's permission and hurt relations. Nothing serious, just the next time the UK wants a criminal extradited for some 'non-violent' crime. We might decide that it is a human right violation. Next time Britain needs a favor in the UN for something (other then something major of course), Britain is not that close of ally anymore.

Now I will say that my examples were a bit extreme. But I must wonder if the roles were reversed, would you not be demanding justice for your government?

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
Tiamattt said:
Little Gray said:
Tiamattt said:
Not fond of the precedent this sets. "If I'm messed up enough I can commit whatever crimes I want in another country". At least make him stand trial first, they can sort out the terms of his imprisonment if he's found guilty. It's not like UK prisons would be all sunshine and rainbows, and I seriously doubt the US has absolutely no place to put prisoners with special needs.
Im with you but as long as the guy does jail time in England then we should be ok.
That would be great, although if what I'm reading from other posts here are true then what he did isn't even considered a crime over there.Granted my understanding of British laws are extremely limited so please forgive me if I'm mistaken.
Yes, you're mistaken. Not really your fault though, there's an awful lot of exaggeration and silliness on both sides in this thread. We're basically saying that, while we recognise that this man has committed a fairly serious crime, allowing the U.S. to have their way with him would ultimately be sending him to his death. At least if he stays over here, we can punish him appropriate to our laws and make sure that he receives the help that he needs.

Yes, there is a sense of "winning" over the U.S. for a change, but that's not the only reason to make this decision, nor will he be completely let off for his condition.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
This actually is one case where the defendant should be extradited to the US, because his crime involves the US rather heavily.

We have suicide watch in our prisons. Just stick him in a straight jacket and he'll be fine.
You also execute the retarded... I would try to commit suicide at EVERY opportunity if I was told I were to be imprisoned in America and I am entirely sound of mind. Your prison system is a disgrace and hopefully this embarrassment causes reform.
Actually, inmates on death row are forced to take three separate mental competency exams under the supervision of three separate state-certified psychiatrists a few days before they're slated to be executed. If they fail even one, then they're declared mentally incompetent and cannot be executed. (This is for both intelligence and sanity)

Which is stupid and a huge waste of both time and resources, but whatever.
Given that a man with an IQ of 61 was executed earlier this year... I find it hard to believe you have done your research.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
This actually is one case where the defendant should be extradited to the US, because his crime involves the US rather heavily.

We have suicide watch in our prisons. Just stick him in a straight jacket and he'll be fine.
You also execute the retarded... I would try to commit suicide at EVERY opportunity if I was told I were to be imprisoned in America and I am entirely sound of mind. Your prison system is a disgrace and hopefully this embarrassment causes reform.
Actually, inmates on death row are forced to take three separate mental competency exams under the supervision of three separate state-certified psychiatrists a few days before they're slated to be executed. If they fail even one, then they're declared mentally incompetent and cannot be executed. (This is for both intelligence and sanity)

Given that a man with an IQ of 61 was executed earlier this year... I find it hard to believe you have done your research.
Edit: Woo, I was mistaken.

Apparently Texas ignored the previous ruling that mentally incompetent people can't be executed. So it's still not legal or permissible, Texas just gave the Supreme Court the middle finger is all.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:

Apparently Texas ignored the previous ruling that mentally incompetent people can't be executed. So it's still not legal or permissible, Texas just gave the Supreme Court the middle finger is all.
So when I said the US executes the retarded and you disagreed you were... what class? Yes, WRONG!

EDIT: And yes, you were "mistaken"... Has this mistake changed your method in anyway? Will you maybe do better research? Especially before you plan on being an ass, I can be an ass because I am right. You? Not so much.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Jhooud said:
Sylveria said:
Karloff said:
Rivkin said "under that logic, anybody who claims some kind of physical or mental problem can commit crimes with immunity and get away with it."
God forbid people with physical or mental problems who commit victim-less crimes get help, just toss them in prison where they can be preyed on. Heck, why waste time on prison. Just kill them all and let God sort them out, right?
Fascinating idea! A Modest Proposal [http://emotionalliteracyeducation.com/classic_books_online/mdprp10.htm], as it were.
That's just horrible.

(Couldn't resist after seeing your avatar)

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Gilhelmi said:
Are our prisons the best in the world, no, I think Norway wins that game. But we are in the top 10.
Very rarely is America in the top 10 of anything good, not even top 25. They do however rank 1st in sheer volume of prisoners, and I do not mean per capita either. Apparently with 5% of the world population, America still manages to have 25% of the worlds incarcerated population. Good job, I guess. USA! USA! You're number 1! You're number 1!

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
lapan said:
Jhooud said:
Sylveria said:
Karloff said:
Rivkin said "under that logic, anybody who claims some kind of physical or mental problem can commit crimes with immunity and get away with it."
God forbid people with physical or mental problems who commit victim-less crimes get help, just toss them in prison where they can be preyed on. Heck, why waste time on prison. Just kill them all and let God sort them out, right?
Fascinating idea! A Modest Proposal [http://emotionalliteracyeducation.com/classic_books_online/mdprp10.htm], as it were.
That's just horrible.

(Couldn't resist after seeing your avatar)
Well, I do have a PhD...in HORRIBLENESS.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:

So when I said the US executes the retarded and you disagreed you were... what class? Yes, WRONG!
Actually, you're still wrong. The US doesn't execute the retarded, only Texas did and it went against federal law to do so. So saying that the US executes the retarded would be like saying the US has legalized pot because California legalized it against federal law.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Kinguendo said:
Kopikatsu said:

Actually, you're still wrong. The US doesn't execute the retarded, only Texas did and it went against federal law to do so. So saying that the US executes the retarded would be like saying the US has legalized pot because California legalized it against federal law.
I forgot that Texas wasnt part of the US...

Do you sense the sarcasm? Good.

You dont get to pretend America didnt execute a retarded man on August the 7th 2012, because it did. Unless you think they rushed him through to execution within a day, America had time to stop his execution. Apathy is death.

Captcha: "well isn't that special?" Captcha, you have a fucked-up sense of humour.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Olrod said:
Did he actually "hack" anything though, or did he walk right on in through their pathetically piss-poor "security"?
Apparently he used a computer script to search for blank passwords and just trawled through all those files. He didn't even need to hack or guess anything, he was just entering blanks into every password prompt and seeing if it worked. Hilariously enough, it worked really well.