Britain in videogames

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
thaluikhain said:
YawningAngel said:
Well, Britain does happen to be part of Europe. Also, while I can see why that'd be annoying, can you, off the top of your head, list the names and cultural features of every nation in Europe? If not, how can you expect people living on another continent to do so?
Actually we generally can, most people living here can name a good number of European countries and associated addenda (language, capital, head of state, etc.)
A good number, yes, but there will still be a number that are forgotten. You aren't going to remember everyone, there's no particular reason why those islands off the coast of France should be amongst those that are.

You can argue for more nations that aren't the US to included in games, but to ask why your country isn't included without worrying about the hundreds of others that aren't seems rather hypocritical. Excluding things such as historical games, when the nation in question played a significant part.
I've got a pretty damn good reason: my country had a globe-spanning empire and was the most powerful on earth for hundreds of years, and theirs wasn't.

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
YawningAngel said:
thaluikhain said:
YawningAngel said:
Well, Britain does happen to be part of Europe. Also, while I can see why that'd be annoying, can you, off the top of your head, list the names and cultural features of every nation in Europe? If not, how can you expect people living on another continent to do so?
Actually we generally can, most people living here can name a good number of European countries and associated addenda (language, capital, head of state, etc.)
A good number, yes, but there will still be a number that are forgotten. You aren't going to remember everyone, there's no particular reason why those islands off the coast of France should be amongst those that are.

You can argue for more nations that aren't the US to included in games, but to ask why your country isn't included without worrying about the hundreds of others that aren't seems rather hypocritical. Excluding things such as historical games, when the nation in question played a significant part.
I've got a pretty damn good reason: my country had a globe-spanning empire and was the most powerful on earth for hundreds of years, and theirs wasn't.
And now you're a third-rate world power struggling to keep its place as at all relevant on the global stage and can't even stand up to Gandhi. What's your point?

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
We all need individual identities as a country, which is why it annoys me when i say i'm from britain and people go 'Oh, you mean europe?'
Just because people can't, doesn't mean it should be allowed.
Perhaps we all should be able to understand our world just a little bit more.
And, hey!
This thread is doing well and, wait a minute... it seems like quite a few people dislike me now...

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I'm from the UK, and I don't care :p

I tend not to really pay attention to how us British are treated in video games, and anyway, some of my favourite games are perfect, not in Britain. E.g. Fallout series, Metro 2033.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Zantos said:
I think the use of the SAS in Modern Warfare was pretty cool. In fairness I can't think of any games where we're portrayed badly, we show up well in all the ones I've played with main characters that are British. All, what, four of them?
Erm, we shot a man tied to a chair when we were done interrogating him, no matter how much of a tosser he was, that's questionable.
OT: Most of the Imperial Guard in WH40K games are British none of them (excluding the Commissars) are unlike able.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Maldeus said:
YawningAngel said:
thaluikhain said:
YawningAngel said:

And now you're a third-rate world power struggling to keep its place as at all relevant on the global stage and can't even stand up to Gandhi. What's your point?
We are? Militarily, Gadaffi is no more of a problem for the UK than he is for the US.

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
Squilookle said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
I'm British and i've always felt that Britain and British people are straight-up ignored in videogames and with these crappy release dates we get it always feels like we're just being lumped in with 'the rest of the world'. Hardly any individuality.
Maybe we just are.
Hello Britain.

This is Australia calling. While we sympathise with you about America getting so much exposure, your country is one of the very next highest in line. Compared to us, you've got a huge slice of the pie, so be happy with what you've got. Ditto for release dates for games, and your studios. Double for game prices, while we're at it.

Now please excuse me, I've got an irate New Zealand calling in on the other line...
And to that i say... How did you get our number?

I only put it as Britain in Videogames because i'm British, just because i put Britain at the centre of this doesn't mean i beleive other countries don't deserve to be represented more.
I'm just really, really shit at putting my point across is all.

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
Monkfish Acc. said:
Britain gets them before Ireland. Shut your nasty gob.

No, but seriously, it's Australia that gets the short end of the stick. Everything is released there last.
I am pretty sure Ireland actually shares release dates with Australia for some reason. I remember being annoyed that Ireland was right fucking next to Britain and still we had to wait however long for Fable 2 and 3. I could be wrong, though, I barely pay attention.

Anyway.

Britain (or should I say England) is used pretty rarely in all foreign media. I guess Americans don't want limeys stinking up the place unless it is for a villain or something. Sometimes we'll be lucky enough to get a character who is Scottish, and thankfully he'll only be Scottish incidentally. Welsh is almost unheard of.

Try being Irish and having them consistently mangle the accent. Half as many appearances, fucking ten times as grating.
But...but..but my gob isn't nasty.
Granted it could do with some mints but there was no need for that.
You know, perhaps i should have changed this thread to 'Fuck American game charcters' but then the hate would have only of increased.
And i agree australia should be portrayed better in EVERYTHING.
They should have a zombie game based in Australia....

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
YawningAngel said:
Maldeus said:
YawningAngel said:
thaluikhain said:
YawningAngel said:

We are? Militarily, Gadaffi is no more of a problem for the UK than he is for the US.
Gandhi=/=Gadaffi

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
C95J said:
I'm from the UK, and I don't care :p

I tend not to really pay attention to how us British are treated in video games, and anyway, some of my favourite games are perfect, not in Britain. E.g. Fallout series, Metro 2033.
I'm not saying that games without the English are horrible, in fact my favourite games have virtually no British people in them at all.
But a Fallout based in Britain would be awsome...
Oh and Australia, and France and yadayadayada...
Russia would be good though.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
ChupathingyX said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
It's not that, they're just never shown at all in my experience.
Always the americans.
And just the americans.
With COD being exempt, that had the Russians too!
Yeah off the top of my head I can't think of many games that have British characters, the CoD series is the easiest but I'm sure there must be plenty of others.

And like I said the Imperial Guard are commonly portrayed in W40K games with British accents.
How many WW2 games have actually had the british feature in though?
I can't even think of one!
The entire Hidden & Dangerous series was about British commandos. And the awesome new game in the IL-2 series is called "Cliffs of Dover", so guess who's the star there?

As for the whole "We used to be an Empire and now no-one mentions it", dude, I'm Portuguese. We too had a global-spanning Empire and we discovered half the bloody planet. Name ONE game that features a Portuguese character. And I don't moan about it, our time's past. It's just the way it is.

GunSpartan

Nov 4, 2010
"The Getaway" was set in London, wasn't it? And I remember quite enjoying that game in my younger years. I love British crime cinema and would love to see another open-world game made from that perspective. Or better yet, a game set in Arthurian times...

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Maldeus said:
YawningAngel said:
Maldeus said:
YawningAngel said:
thaluikhain said:
YawningAngel said:

Gandhi=/=Gadaffi
Wait what? Why would we want to stand up to Gandhi?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
YawningAngel said:
Maldeus said:
YawningAngel said:
Maldeus said:
YawningAngel said:
thaluikhain said:
YawningAngel said:

Gandhi=/=Gadaffi
Wait what? Why would we want to stand up to Gandhi?
Don't you mean "why DID we stand up to Ghandi"? :p

monty2k

Jul 11, 2011
Isn't Crash Bandicoot Australian?

I know he doesn't carry much weight anymore but he was a popular mascot back in the glory days of the PS1.

@Maldeus: Gandhi has been dead for over 60 years... Obviously we can't stand against him :p

Seriously though, Gandhi was one of the greatest leaders of the 20th century. His philosophy of nonviolent protest inspired many other great men including Martin Luther King Jr, Nelson Mandela, and Barack Obama.

I don't see how failing to stand up against him is a bad thing. I mean we arrested him for over two years. What more should we have done? Killed him?

Jason Fayers

Jul 8, 2011
You've got to remember games are primarily made for 2 groups of people Americans and Japanese, the third group is every one else. We still do better than most of everyone else.

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
Jimmybobjr said:
Australia. You think we get it bad: We need to wait weeks at times for games to even release here. Considering were not even censored.

And anyway, was Resistance: Fall of Man set in Britan? I remember some contrevercy over some church or something being represented in that game.
Resistance: Fall of Man was set in england with the english resistance... And yet the protaganist was american.
Which i found weird.
And seriously Australia!
Set up a thread about you're problems, stop hating me dammit!
I even agree with them!

Alexlion

May 2, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
We all need individual identities as a country, which is why it annoys me when i say i'm from britain and people go 'Oh, you mean europe?'
Yes thats true but in my experiance its still very insulting i remember seeing some Kenyans a couple of people just refered to their home as just africa its not incorrect but its not necissarly pleasing to hear.

OT: Yeah well we need to remember most games are produced by americans they are going to of course put america first its human nature. I love the short sightedness of things like homefront though i remember them talking about it in a dev diary and thinking they arnt really making it universally appealing by putting in a hooters lol.

TBF britain dosent have it that bad when it comes to computer games though. Hollywood however likes to pass up good british actors in lead roles and subjecting them to bad guys in favor of untalented actors is annoying at best and bordering on racism at worst.

As far as call of duty goes it was extremly nice to seem them put in british troops when normally all we see are americans and they earned my loyalty for that. Certainly for WW2 i think its important at least in the european thearte that we get mentioned but that can be said for most nations it was a world war after all and we need to remember all those who gave their lives not just one country or nation after all most people dont know that after the russians the chinese had the 2nd highest casualty rates in WW2 followed by the brits then the yanks.