British Media Blames Games For London Riots

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I'm surprised they aren't blaming V for Vendetta or Reign of Fire.
V for Vendetta has some hardcore 'rioting', and Reign of Fire burns ALL of London.

Not even surprised by this.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
I'm sure high youth unemployment, a complete lack of hope for the future and a government run by toffs with no grip on reality has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Grand Theft Auto is the ________ trainer.

Is Rockstar North's office a training facility?

Grats, Johnny, You are going to R* North to learn to riot.

Games, Blame It When Bad Parenting and such doesnt work!

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Sometimes I feel bad for my country both for our stupid scare mongering media and the violence parts of our society feel they have to resort to

easykial

Aug 8, 2011
is it possible that we should also blame nintendogs for teaching us how to play frisbee and walk our dogs? double standard anyone?

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
Surely it's all games' fault and not the movies, books, poetry or art.
/irony

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
The place where people already punch a busdriver for not driving, plus soccer roits everytime there is a match?

And they blame it on games.

*golf clap*

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I said this elsewhere, but...

Self said:
Because the world was a wonderful, peaceful place without violence or disagreements before video games, rock and roll, fashion, and this newfangled technology called books.

God damn devil worshipers, the lot of 'em!

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
I was referring to the album, not the single song, but admittedly, it was more an excuse to reference The Clash than anything else.
Ah, a clash fan are ya? Groovy Times
[sub]getit, cos it's a clash...nevermind[/sub]

I feel the clash songs London's Burning, White Riot or English Civil War would have been a slightly better track to link it to (but then again, I practically listen to the clash 24/7 and am a tad obsessive...)

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
Why am I not suprised that they always blame games?
I mean, come on! Leave the gaming-media alone! Games had nothing, NOTHING, to do with theese riots.
And for that matter; why is games always the one to be blamed? Game developers have even stated that
they don't want to make games to make people more violent, it is meant as harmless entertainemnt, like
an action film.

Never blame the game, blame the gamer, I say.

Nackl of Gilmed

Sep 13, 2010
"children as young as ten, inspired by video game, among the looters."
Citation needed.

"Hey, guys? Supposedly-reputable news source guys? Hey, we should probably go and get some kind of factual evidence before we insert opinionated comments like this... Guys?"

Feb 13, 2008
Realitycrash said:
It's always the fault of games, didn't you know?
Allegedly now it's Bookface and Twitter.

Not, say, the despicable use of phone "hacking" that goes without recompense. That would be leaving the blame on the Standard's doorway where it belongs.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Are you having me on?! Things are still escalating and they want to start pointing the blame at video games? Oh dear.
I'm sorry, but we've got the former Mayor of London blaming the government, we've got the government blaming the police, the police blaming the gangs that have formed a truce and have gone out looting together and London's own chip-wrapper wants to blame video games. Great. Just great.

(Yeah I'm cross, I expect better of my nation).

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Wait I am sorry, I have been hunting for a little bit and have not found a reason for the riots, what exactly is the issue?

OT: Oh God, is Rupert Murdoch involved again? Ten bucks says he is.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
silent-treatment said:
Wait I am sorry, I have been hunting for a little bit and have not found a reason for the riots, what exactly is the issue?

OT: Oh God, is Rupert Murdoch involved again? Ten bucks says he is.
The reason is that a suspected gang member was shot dead by the police during an attempted arrest (from what I can tell). The family and friends of the suspected gang member held a peaceful protest outside a police station demanding answers as to what had happened. Later, rumours on the internet circulated that the police had shot first/shot him on the floor at point-blank range and so the gangs in the area teamed up and started getting violent and then it all kicked off.

The Telegraph seems to have good coverage of the story as that's where I read about it earlier.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
I remember The Standard from Hong Kong... yeah, they do have a branch here, and they still did that videogame-flaming shit, but they were also lashing at other media once in a while.

I remember some odd story about a Chinese man in his late 20s over in Kowloon, who kidnapped a 2 year old little girl from the neighbourhood whose parents he vaguely knew. The police traced back the disappearance up to him a few weeks later, and found her remains in the freezer. The guy ate the little girl. Her raw flesh. Day after day.
In The Standard's article on the aforementioned story, there was a quote from some of the guy's friends, who claimed "he once said he enjoyed the taste of human flesh" whilst they were watching a TV show/movie that somehow involved cannibalism (I'm pretty sure it might be True Blood on HBO); of course, his friends didn't take him seriously and thought he was only joking. Then the paper used that quote to go on for several additional paragraphs on how watching the show "pushed him to move to action", and on how several other shows, some of them having no connection whatsoever, should be taken off the air.