British Media Blames Games For London Riots

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Pfft videogames, this riot was clearly caused by the rap music involved in a conspiracy with backwards messages streamed on magic picture boxes.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
see funny thing here ...... it's not video-games that make me violent, it's f*cking retarded uninformed pretentious dregs that continuously debase and degrade one of my favorite past times for their own political agendas (and the people just following said dregs) that get my blood boiling.

sure place blame on video games instead of society failing, the economy crumbling and lets not forget a seriously limping school system.
nah those couldn't have anything to do with this here, no, it's video games.

/RAGE!!!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Whenever I get depressed about the state of American media, I just have to look to the British media to make it seem not so bad.

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
xchurchx said:
It all started so peacefully as well, all this trouble, all this violence, just because some gangster was shot and killed
The rioters are a completely different group of people than the group doing the peaceful protest. The scumbag pricks just piggy-backed on this as a reason to break shit and steal some stuff. It has been hi-jacked by a group that was intent on causing destruction and mayhem from the very beginning.
Yeh, the world realy has gone to the dogs :l

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Catchy Slogan said:
I've noticed that whenever the Tories are in power, there are always riots.
True; the miner's strike, the teacher's strike, the poll tax riots, the immigrant riots.
And anyway, it's not like Clegg has been doing anything. At all.
Cameron, Clegg and Milliband may just be different names for the same person.

But at least it's not Vaz or one of those loonies. Perhaps we can get Tom Watson in?
I was also thinking more along the lines of the Broadwater Farm Riots [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwater_Farm_riot] that happened in Tottenham in the 80's aswell.

And as for Tom Watson, well, there's always hope. :)

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
whoo hoo yeah blame video games that's original LOL...so what game inspired the Vancouver riots? Saints Row 2?

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
Fuck that! I am whole-heartedly believing that Mafia Wars was the cause of this. One minute you're clicking a button, the next, you're freaking Scarface.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Oh come on. This has been brewing for ages. Government cut after government cut, while the cost of living rises. Treat people like animals, expect animals. Of course, the innocent public has suffered instead of the criminal government, as usual.

I don't even see a reason for doing this story. They could have gone with the above angle, and I bet it would've sold more copies, but instead they jump at videogames.

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
British Media Blames Games For London Riots

The latest dead tree edition of the Evening Standard [http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/] is emblazoned with the headline "Lawless London" and an image of two burned out cars amidst rubble on a city street. Below that headline is a blurb that reads "children as young as ten, inspired by video game, among the looters."
I call shenanigans, you don't have to like video games to want free stuff.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
MadMechanic said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I was referring to the album, not the single song, but admittedly, it was more an excuse to reference The Clash than anything else.
Ah, a clash fan are ya? Groovy Times
[sub]getit, cos it's a clash...nevermind[/sub]

I feel the clash songs London's Burning, White Riot or English Civil War would have been a slightly better track to link it to (but then again, I practically listen to the clash 24/7 and am a tad obsessive...)
I was rather reminded of "The Guns of Brixton" personally. Just a matter of time until some idiot decides to shoot an officer. So it goes.

On topic:
I find myself in the unfortunate position of agreeing with Ken Livingston, who earlier attributed this violence to young people being disaffected, angry, and poor, with no chance to change their circumstances. With nothing to lose, he reasoned, why should they not riot if they're angry? And while they're at it, might as well nick some stuff.

These are the same kids who see the bankers who caused the entire economy to fail be given bonuses. Meanwhile, their train fare to school is being taken away.

I understand the anger, I really do. I just don't think that burning shit is an effective way to solve anything.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Wow, it seems like everything bad is getting blamed on games these days.

"News flash! Something bad happened! Video games are to blame!"

El_Chubba_Chubba

Mar 13, 2009
Dammit, violence has only existed in the past 20 years hasn't it?

Its not like vikings ravaged towns, looting and raping...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah because all these kids are playing old PS1 games. What i hate most about all this "blame games" crap is that it take blame and responsibility from the arseholes that are doing it. Its a bunch of thugs smashing stuff up for no reason. Arrest them. Lock them up for a few weeks and make them pay for the damage. And make an example of them. Either that or call the army into restoring the peace, no being polite, bash a few heads and make these shitty kids respect law and order and authority. Yes the police should be polite and nice to the community, but also, when its needed, the gloves come off and they can tackle these retards and restore order.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009

I mean the news that people still blame video games of course.
It wasn't true before,it isn't true now.