British Media Blames Games For London Riots

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
Oh, what a load of rubbish. It's thugs rioting for the sake of a riot.

But also, why are we making a big deal out of this? It's just the one British publication that's said this, and not one that's really widely read (at least not in my area). If one publication is jumping on the bandwagon, shouldn't we just ignore it instead of heaping attention on them? That's what they're after in the first place.

They're using a scapegoat for attention, and it's a weak link at best. Let's not give them the satisfaction.

Telemachus

Dec 13, 2010
darkmushroomm said:
I'll have you know at the time of the riots I was indoors playing videogames...
hahahaha. i dont know why, but when i read that i ROTFLed very loud. gamers, don't wanna riot, they wanna game duh!

Wardi Boi

Aug 8, 2011
This just infuriates me to no end. This has happened many times in the past with music and film being the simple subject to blame and now it has turned to gaming. If only the short sighted people could realise that not every event has to have some sort of origin and that some people are just idiots that do not know what they want or simply go with the flow for no coherent reason.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
I'm sort of surprised they didn't put the blame on that Jedi religion.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
That is odd, I was pretty sure this kicked off after the police shot a man dead.

Nope, obviously games are to blame!

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
silent-treatment said:
LostTimeLady said:
Thanks. Is it just me or are these reports of the "evils" of videogames growing in frequency?
No problem. :)
It does seem like the low hanging fruit that everyone's having a bite of at the moment doesn't it. I think someone wants to create a 'bad guy' because the idea that this all just got out of control for no reason is just a little bit too scary for most people to contemplate. Well, that's a thought I had at least.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
xchurchx said:
It all started so peacefully as well, all this trouble, all this violence, just because some gangster was shot and killed
The rioters are a completely different group of people than the group doing the peaceful protest. The scumbag pricks just piggy-backed on this as a reason to break shit and steal some stuff. It has been hi-jacked by a group that was intent on causing destruction and mayhem from the very beginning.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
from reports ive seen the riots escalated after a teenaged girl was beaten with a police baton after she got abit shouty at a cop during the peacefull protest. Not sure exactly why they have trashed and burned a bunch of random buildings when police stations would make better targets for their anger but then again mobs never seem to focus there anger at the right targets so im not surprised realy, also the stuff kicing off in other parts of london and in birmingham are most likely just simpathy riots/excuses to loot.

Typical of a rag like the stadard to go the easy route with the report and i like that they used a police officer as proof when obviously he's gonna place the blame anywhere but at his own forces door, especially since the met has form for shooting people"by accident" then claiming self defense(2 cases in the past 10 years or so by my reckoning) its a typical media response though in the uk to blame anyone but the actual culprits untill they face charges then you switch tracks and act like its something you knew all along...bunch of lazy gits the lot of them.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Just once, JUST ONCE i'd like to see a twentysomething go "I blame the old farts in power". It's about as implausible as "games did it, y'all". And yet, some shitty rag is treated as a serious news source.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Quick blast from the past

Nick Clegg: April 2010

I've noticed that whenever the Tories are in power, there are always riots.

And anyway, it's not like Clegg has been doing anything. At all.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
I like how when one article in one newspaper attributes blame to video games we get the lovely title "British Media Blames Games For London Riots"

Which then inevitably queues everyone to make the same 3 comments that differ only in their example of their mock "Hitler wore pants" argument.

Feb 13, 2008
Catchy Slogan said:
I've noticed that whenever the Tories are in power, there are always riots.
True; the miner's strike, the teacher's strike, the poll tax riots, the immigrant riots.
And anyway, it's not like Clegg has been doing anything. At all.
Cameron, Clegg and Milliband may just be different names for the same person.

But at least it's not Vaz or one of those loonies. Perhaps we can get Tom Watson in?

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
Oh of COURSE. It has to be VIDEO GAMES. Not people overreacting to something that could probably be solved by some other means, not people trying to change something in the government, it's all VIDEO GAMES. I would know from experience that games don't make me go insane, matter of fact, they're probably the things that keep me clinging to my sanity. If I didn't get on Saints Row 2 or Call of Duty now and then after all the IDIOTS I deal with on a daily basis, there would probably be a few more bodies here and there.

MazdaXR

Mar 16, 2011
I would say games are some of the reasons why there are not more people out there, because they are busy playing games. I don't think anything as trivial as games can be blamed for this riot.

Sinisterspider

Sep 7, 2008
What does it say about me that i live in the UK and didn't know about this? :|
In any case, news that i care about regarding this can be summed up as: Games still a scapegoat for everything. The only news i'll be interested to hear from now 'till doomsday is games not being a scapegoat anymore. Or aliens. Or a sandwich that can make itself.