British Newspaper Blames Videogames for Rise in Rickets

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

British tabloid newspaper, The Sun, has started rewriting and reposting its own content in order to give it an anti-videogame spin.

The Sun has claimed that an unexpected rise in rickets in children is because of videogame addiction. The condition, caused by a lack of vitamin D and typically characterized by bowed legs, was thought to be almost entirely eradicated in the 30s, but a new study reportedly found signs of the condition in one in five of the children it tested.

The story [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3225824/Game-addict-kids-hit-by-extinct-bone-disease.html], which bears the headline, "Game Addict Kids Hit by 'Extinct' Bone Disease," appears to be a rewritten version of a story from the day before [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3224605/Shock-rise-in-rickets-in-kids.html]. The original story was a simple reporting of the study's findings, with comments from Professor Nicholas Clarke, who led the research. The following day it was rewritten by the Sun's "Health and Science Editor" Emma Morton with the new, sensationalist headline, and the anti-videogame angle.

Both stories were reporting on a survey conducted by doctors in the English town of Southampton, which examined 200 local children and found that more than a fifth of them showed signs of rickets. Clarke said that he was astonished by the results, and that it was a "completely new occurrence," that had seemingly sprung up over a very short space of time, just 1-2 years. He added that the condition didn't seem to be limited one particular group or area, affecting the rich and poor equally. Disappointingly for the Sun, Clarke seems to never make the connection between rickets and videogames himself, instead saying a combination of modern lifestyle, poor diet, and reduced sun exposure because people were covering up more when they went out was to blame.

Morton's rewritten version of the article is irresponsible, misleading and obfuscates the facts behind the rise in the condition. Videogames certainly contribute to children spending more time inside, but they are far from the being the root of the problem as Morton implies. If the problem is significant - and I'd say that one in five kids having rickets qualifies - then pointing a finger at videogames and distracting people from the actual problem is completely unhelpful.

That said, as disappointing and frustrating as it is, it's naïve to expect tabloid publications like the Sun not to put a spin on a story like this in order to get more people to look at it. The article does, at least, contain the relevant and important information, even if you have to scroll past a load of sensationalist rubbish to get to it.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=275477?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkpatator/1713039951/lightbox/])

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Please, as a Britain myself, do not think the entire of Britain is like that.

Some of us are quite reasonable...

Ryuu814

Feb 25, 2010
it's things like this that make me regret being British >_>
I mean come on....seriously? I know the Sun is a biased Newspaper (I read it daily on my paper-round) but saying that videogames is the problem for rickets is totally blown out of proportion.

Alas this is what it means to have a British Newspapers...biased information and other such nonsense...
Still proud to be a Brit! XDD

EDIT: but I agree with the person above me...we aren't all like this -_-'

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
The Sun isn't a real newspaper. Anyone who writes for it is a joke of a journalist. It's a paper that lives and breaths off ignorance and yob culture. It has as much merit as those papers that claim stupid stuff like "Bigfoot spoted in WalMart parking lot" and "ET is running the white house".

The paper made its name showing women topless. So you can see how much merit it warrents.

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
As others have said, the Sun is little more than a comic. Entertaining? Perhaps. News? Not really.

That said it's also the most read newspaper in Britain, so I guess ignoring it out of hand can't really be done, alas.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
... and reduced sun exposure because people were covering up more when they went out was to blame...
People need to study up on sun cream more. An independent study showed that it can cause cancer rather than prevent it (source: "Trick or Treat" - forget the author's name), and now this as well.

Anyway, that article is ridiculous. At least there were a few trustworthy quotes in it.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
British tabloid newspaper, The Sun, has started rewriting and reposting its own content in order to give it an anti-videogame spin.
Don't be sily - The Sun isn't a newspaper.

Without being facetious, seriously? Like seriously?

*Sigh* modern videogames will get blamed for the Holocaust soon enough...yeah you heard me.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
So also, if it's partly based on sun exposure, surely we've got a choice, rickets or skin cancer.

I'll take rickets with a side order of WOW and Fallout 3 please.

(As if the Sun had printed any facts, I can't accuse them of printing anything, as any fiction using more than two syllable words gets sent to the Mail instead, for the middle class bullshit afficionados.)

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Shurely shum mishtake?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97736-Researchers-Say-Videogaming-Does-Not-Cause-Rickets : 25th January by Andy.

And let's see how that was done:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/810028-video-gaming-leads-to-surge-in-rickets

This isn't yesterday's news from the Currant Bun, this is last year's news. (Or at least 10 months behind)

Rickets:
Rickets is a softening of bones in children potentially leading to fractures and deformity. Rickets is among the most frequent childhood diseases in many developing countries. The predominant cause is a vitamin D deficiency, but lack of adequate calcium in the diet may also lead to rickets (cases of severe diarrhea and vomiting may be the cause of the deficiency). Although it can occur in adults, the majority of cases occur in children suffering from severe malnutrition, usually resulting from famine or starvation during the early stages of childhood.
Rickets can't be "caught", it can only be developed from not enough Sun....

Oh...

I see what they did there.

Mar 30, 2010
Please, like anyone buys the Sun for it's literary content and cutting edge journalism. Sensationalist headlines and barely researched bullshit come in a poor second place when compared to Emma, 21, from Surrey. The Sun might be Britain's biggest selling newspaper, but let me reassure you, nobody actually reads it...

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
"Tabloid newspapers increasing the paranoia about child abusers and pervert's lead to increase in rickets!"

Today a study has found that sensationalist headlines by irresponsible pillocks in fleet street have led to a rise in children being locked in their bedrooms. Perverts can be clearly identified as men on their own in parks, men seeking to enter the teaching profession and anyone who is seen telling off or rebuking a child for their bad behaviour.

Also any Muslim, benefit scrounger,student or Gay (gays invented it after all!)

The best course of action is to stop your children from playing these horrific and poisonous video games and instead sit them down in front of your super soar away Sun's website, they have to be exposed to 36 nipples a day somehow!

if you think this makes no sense it's better than a sun article and better researched!

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Both stories were reporting on a survey conducted by doctors in the English town of Southampton, which examind 200 local children and found that more than a fifth of them showed signs of rickets.
Why Southampton =O My home!! I am disappoint... Though we only made the study, we didn't create the headline.

To be honest this headline confuses me even more now I know it comes from Southampton, I lived there 20 years and I can honestly say its a pretty healthy city. Right on the forest and the sea so most kids will either be at the beach or trekking the forest (I'm a forest kid myself).

I dunno, though to be fair it is a massively conservative area so I suppose there's bound to be anti-video game sentiments about.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
I want reduced sun exposure. That being reduced exposure to the bullshit written in the sun lol