British Student Loses Extradition Battle Over Copyright Violation

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Xiado said:
Let's just let the US have SOPA, and make a second, free internet for international citizens, seeing as the US feels the internet belongs to them.
Didn't u here the news? The U.S. govt apparently shelved the SOPA bill. It's over.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Shadie777 said:
I'm also pretty sure that Google does this on a larger scale.
Google does this on a massive scale. Google is the number one hub for online piracy. Need a torrent or an nzb file (Oh Usenet I just can't quit you)? Just hit up Google and you will have what you're looking for in a matter of seconds. Need a particular crack or rom? Again if you are even marginally handy with Google it should be yours in less time than it takes to type it in the search box.

The bottom line is that providing a search tool shouldn't be illegal. Just because Google doesn't advertise that millions upon millions (maybe even billions?) of people use it every day for piracy doesn't mean that Google isn't doing the exact same thing that sites like the above mentioned one is accused of doing and last I checked nobody is trying to throw anyone at Google behind bars.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Before all the "America is policing the world" comments come in, just remember britian could have told us to fuck off, but they chose not to. You can only police the world when the world lets you.
Do you think that somehow negates the fact that the US is trying to police the world?

In my opinion, the judge was paid off. That doesn't make the UK any less responsible. Because they should have told the US where to stick it. But realistically, that isn't going to happen.

A lot of people are to blame here, but that doesn't absolve the US.
No, but its a hell of a lot easier when countries just roll over and die for you to walk all over them.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
EHKOS said:
This is bullshit. This reminds me of the autistic kid in Europe who hacked into the US to find out about aliens. I hate how my country is such a huge dick. Sorry guys.
It's ok, we all know it's not the fault of individuals.
emeraldrafael said:
Before all the "America is policing the world" comments come in, just remember britian could have told us to fuck off, but they chose not to. You can only police the world when the world lets you.
Regardless, the US is trying to police the world. If someone is bullying me it's not my responsibility to stand up to them, it's their responsibility to stop.

Sweet juxtaposition.

Regardless, does anyone know if there's anything that can be done by British Citizens?

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
GonvilleBromhead said:
In addition, to be extradited the act the person is being extradited for has to be considered a crime in both countries, as is the case here.
I'm pretty sure he broke no uk laws, that's half the reason we're discussing this. We can only hope that he doesn't get jailed; as far as i can see he's done nothing wrong.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
666Satsuki said:
Well all I can say is dam you USA for trying to prosecute people for crimes that they have already admitted to. The guy broke international copyright law, you cant argue that point, its a fact.
You can't really pass a law which pertains to a country without it's permission.

If Australia decided to pass a law which prohibited driving over 130km/h (<100 m/h) and just said it was international and hot New Zealand and a couple other randoms to sign up too would the Governement here have the right to have Millions of Germans extradited for driving on the Autobahn?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
StBishop said:
EHKOS said:
This is bullshit. This reminds me of the autistic kid in Europe who hacked into the US to find out about aliens. I hate how my country is such a huge dick. Sorry guys.
It's ok, we all know it's not the fault of individuals.
emeraldrafael said:
Regardless, the US is trying to police the world. If someone is bullying me it's not my responsibility to stand up to them, it's their responsibility to stop.

Sweet juxtaposition.

Regardless, does anyone know if there's anything that can be done by British Citizens?
This is far from bullying, so really that analogy doesnt mean anything. The US has been given the power by other countries to do this because none of them feel the need to establish a boundary for the US to follow (or if they do, they dont feel a need to follow).

You want the US stopped, go to the UN to do THEIR job and police the world.

Abandon4093 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Abandon4093 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Do you think that somehow negates the fact that the US is trying to police the world?

In my opinion, the judge was paid off. That doesn't make the UK any less responsible. Because they should have told the US where to stick it. But realistically, that isn't going to happen.

A lot of people are to blame here, but that doesn't absolve the US.
No, but its a hell of a lot easier when countries just roll over and die for you to walk all over them.
I never said it doesn't. You'll fine most of the British public actively detests their government. We're constantly moaning about how spineless they are. But your logic is faulty. You don't blame a bully victim for being bullied. Same logic here.
Nol because this isnt bullying. I've laready said this. the US is given the power tod o this, it didnt take it. after WW2 (which is when most people like to say the US started policing the world) there were a few countries that could have policed the world. in fact thats the reason we have the UN, so countries dont do this. If the UN (and much of the world) is too incompetent to do its job and say no, then you cant blame someone who does their job for them when they're giving the power to.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
mad825 said:
We all know why this is happening, the UK government doesn't have any balls to stand-up against the US in case it may damage this "special relationship".
This. Nothing to do with hating on the US, it's we that are allowing ourselves to be walked on all over even when we have legitimate grounds to defiantly stand our ground and defend our own.

Can any of you honestly picture David Cameron growing some balls and speaking with authority and convition to people he doesn't have supreme authority over? He acts big and tough in parliament with the party supporting him, but shrivels like a cold day in the locker room with anyone outside the uk goverment.

He gets pwned hard by the other european leaders, we have become jokes to the russians and saudi arabia has us wrapped around their little finger to the point that should a revolution occur there, it will likely be british security forces shooting british made weapons that will violenty surpress the rebellious populace. No surprises we are letting the US walk all over us on this one.

emeraldrafael said:
Nol because this isnt bullying. I've laready said this. the US is given the power tod o this, it didnt take it. after WW2 (which is when most people like to say the US started policing the world) there were a few countries that could have policed the world. in fact thats the reason we have the UN, so countries dont do this. If the UN (and much of the world) is too incompetent to do its job and say no, then you cant blame someone who does their job for them when they're giving the power to.
Euh no, US took the power violently and can even tell you when it happened. After ww2 USA didn't become number 1 all of a sudden and the previous dominant powers, uk and france for example, didnt just roll over and pass the torch to the US.

The turning point was the canal de suez incident where the US threated to NUKE uk and french forces opposing them. This was the moment british and french power was permanently shattered and everyone realized it was the US calling the shots now.

I still think thats kinda a ***** move imo, "argue with us? we nuke you!". But hey thats the way the cookie crumbled.

Mar 30, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Yeah, not to offend anybody, but right now, britains abit higher on the totem pole than Spain. Spain is looking to go the way of greece and has never really been know for its great stability and ability to roll with the big boys. I would think Britain could put a foot down, but if they choose not to, then thats their problem and says more about that country than the one trying to "police the world".

which if you read the thread you'd see I said the same thing.
I saw where you were coming from with your first post fella; namely that the UK shouldn't have just rolled over and given in. And maybe we shouldn't have. What I was trying to imply with my post is that we probably didn't just roll over - that there was an "or else" tagged onto the end of the US request for extradition. Hence the Spain, Sweden and Holland news stories.

I fully agree that if we had a choice we should have stuck up for one of our own. The point I was raising was: were we given a choice?

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
Again, I re-iterate, what he did was against the law in UK - the next person to post that it isn't is clearly too idiotic to be able to post a response worth reading - however the judge ruled that due to the .com domain, the US effectively had the jurisdiction and the right to prosecute him over the UK. If someone was in the US, and was doing the same thing but using a .co.uk domain, exactly the same thing could have happened except in reverse. This isn't some grand conspiracy, it's just the agreement that both countries have signed and works the same both ways. The US isn't screwing over the UK any more then the UK is screwing over the US; and indeed the US has extradited many people to the UK due to the same treaty.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
emeraldrafael said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Yeah, not to offend anybody, but right now, britains abit higher on the totem pole than Spain. Spain is looking to go the way of greece and has never really been know for its great stability and ability to roll with the big boys. I would think Britain could put a foot down, but if they choose not to, then thats their problem and says more about that country than the one trying to "police the world".

which if you read the thread you'd see I said the same thing.
I saw where you were coming from with your first post fella; namely that the UK shouldn't have just rolled over and given in. And maybe we shouldn't have. What I was trying to imply with my post is that we probably didn't just roll over - that there was an "or else" tagged onto the end of the US request for extradition. Hence the Spain, Sweden and Holland news stories.

I fully agree that if we had a choice we should have stuck up for one of our own. The point I was raising was: were we given a choice?[/quote

I have yet to see. Now, I will agree with you, waht the US did to spain was... going too far. But spain is just one of those countries that needs help, just because they dont seem... stable.

If it comes out the US did try to do something the same way it did to spain, my opinion will likely change. Honestly, I do get tired of the US doing this, but really, we're in a position to, and no one is really stopping us from it. Any country of power does when they have power. Spain did it, Britain did it (and for the longest time too), france to an extent, and after the US loses its dominance to china china will do it too. Its how the world works.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Hi, England here. Fuck off.

That good for ya?

Seriously though, it's not like we were given a vote on this, Cameron is a little ***** and our judicial system is even worse, we get to watch as someone from our country doing something which is ENTIRELY LEGAL gets extradited for what is a crime in another country? Well fuck USA, that seems fair doesn't it?

Fucking pricks whoever ordered the extradition and I'm seriously disgusted that our government is letting this happen. If the trial isn't a fucking laughing stock I'm gonna get seriously pissed.