Broken mechanics! (Good and bad)

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Star Wars Galaxies pre CU - ''you can not knockdown recover while knocked down'' *facepalm*

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
In world of warcraft you used to be able to stack dodge rating on low level rogues to reach something like 103% dodge and effectively become immune to mele attacks. That always amused me.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Zipa said:
Star Wars Galaxies pre CU - ''you can not knockdown recover while knocked down'' *facepalm*
Have you heard of the star wars galaxies emulator -its back to the version before sony got there handas on it -

And cover in alpha protocol so many times when my character wouldn't go into cover or he wouldn't leave cover when I wanted him to

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Bang Kaboom Ferrell said:
Zipa said:
Have you heard of the star wars galaxies emulator -its back to the version before sony got there handas on it -

And cover in alpha protocol so many times when my character wouldn't go into cover or he wouldn't leave cover when I wanted him to
Yeah Its been around in before the game official game was closed down, though I don't play MMOs any more, I don't have time or the will any more.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Worst Explosions: Call of Duty MW2 without a doubt.

One thing is certain about this game, it's explosions are completely inconsistant. Everyone knows that all it takes is one guy with Danger Close Perk and a Noob Tube to end the game. Not to mention the fact that the explosions tend to be inconsistant. Sometimes people survive while standing on them, sometimes, people die when as far away as possible. Also, sometimes, just flat out no warning is given for certain explosions.

Best Explosions: Battlefield/Halo

One thing is certain, explosions in these games are consistant. The idea is simple, the farther away you are, the less impact a grenade will have on you. And there distances are fairly well done while still giving an opportunity for players to recover from them.

Grimfolse

Feb 28, 2011
Summoner, one of the launch titles for the PS2, was sublimely broken in its mechanics, both good and bad.

Bad:
-The titular summoning was almost useless, gimping your main character's stats when in-use.
-Chain attacks were pointless given the game's mostly real-time combat.
-The speed and damage output ratings for weapons were inaccurate to the point of uselessness, as the former basically did nothing, and the latter didn't account for the fact that the majority of enemies are weak towards blunt attacks and strong against swords. Making swords...almost useless, doing less damage than a simple kick most of the time.

Good:
-You could enter a menu while casting a spell which would cause the spell to immediately trigger, so you can spam AOE/healing spells as needed.
-Rock-stupid enemy AI lets you cast Blizzard/Wall of Fire spells on unaware enemies and watch them stand there freezing/burning to death.
-The trip skill causes knocked down humanoid enemies to take basically 2000% damage from Backstab attacks, allowing your thief to one-shot most enemies and bosses in the game (including the second form of the final boss).

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
I don't know if it really counts as broken, but in Red Alert 2 there was nothing that couldn't be won with a decent number of Clone Vats. Many lulz were had with those things.
Yeah, that's why it has a build limit of 1.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
RobfromtheGulag said:
Typically I guess I'm a fan. In fighting games unintended for mechanics often end up becoming high level necessities.
The fun part about fighting games is the fact that the entire combo system of most 2D fighters (being able to cancel normal moves into special/super moves) resulted from a glitch in Street Fighter 2. The lead developer knew about it, but didn't bother fixing it because it was "too difficult to use so it didn't matter".
The rest is history. :D

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Suki_ said:
yuval152 said:
The worst game mechanic(bad) is the save system in dragon's dogma, who makes an open world RPG and allows only 1 checkpoint and 1 save?
Probably somebody who wants to make a game where your choices actually matter.
Choices mattering is part of the writing, I just want to try them all, And I got screwed over by the save system also for quests and equiqment.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Itsthatguy said:
The hitscan system that mass effect 2 and 3 uses for player fired guns is also funny - Its possible (and extremely easy) to kill a YMIR mech by shooting at it through a wall (how to do it below).

Although bullets appear to come out of your gun, the game's hit detection system treats bullets as being fired from your camera. Hence, if you can see it, you can shoot it. Press yourself up against an object (without using it as cover). Move to the right side of it so that your camera is looking past it without your body being exposed. Now aim at something and fire. Congrats, you did it. Enjoy your slightly game-breaking exploit (IIRC it also works with powers).
What platform do you play them on? Because I regularly hit the things in front of me doing stuff like that.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Suki_ said:
yuval152 said:
Suki_ said:
yuval152 said:
The worst game mechanic(bad) is the save system in dragon's dogma, who makes an open world RPG and allows only 1 checkpoint and 1 save?
Probably somebody who wants to make a game where your choices actually matter.
Choices mattering is part of the writing, I just want to try them all, And I got screwed over by the save system also for quests and equiqment.
I think you completely missed my entire point. Adding in a save system like skyrim pretty much removes all consequences of your choices. You would nolonger actually have to think you would just save and try bothing picking whichever gives you the better reward. At that point the game might as well just say fuck choices and hand you everything since they dont matter anymore.
So? I don't want the RP experience I just want to explore and enjoy the game, using more than 1 save isn't forced, if you want the RP experience you can play on one save but I don't want to.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Suki_ said:
yuval152 said:
So? I don't want the RP experience I just want to explore and enjoy the game, using more than 1 save isn't forced, if you want the RP experience you can play on one save but I don't want to.
If you want that then you are playing the wrong game. You are basically complaining because a game wasnt meant for people like you. Its not a bad or broken game mechanic you just dont like that type of game. It has nothing to do with role playing its that they wanted a game with consequences. If you dont want a game where your actions matter go back to skyrim and leave the good games alone.
I don't know if I am playing the game wrong, but I don't remeber consequences that affect the game.

The only real consequences that i noticed was killing the salvation leader but mason will kill him anyways, and he also comes back anyways.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
yuval152 said:
Cowabungaa said:
The downside and the goodside aren't balanced.

It's better to have a 40% faster rocket and lose 1 ammo slot. these things are unbalanced.
I'd have to disagree actually. Maybe if all you ever do is spam rockets from a distance it would be better, but even then, losing the damage output of the fourth rocket is just plain bad. Moreover, rocket jumping becomes a whole lot less useful when you only have two shots left afterwards, and for the most part, the speed isn't a big issue. 40% faster travel speed is nice for trying to direct hit a target in a narrow time window, but the direct hit is better in that case, and the regular rocket launcher is better for controlling space since it can fire more rockets before reloading.

Honestly, I almost never use the Liberty Launcher because the speed increase simply doesn't benefit my play style enough to make up for losing a rocket. If I want a fast traveling rocket, I'm going to use the direct hit every time.

As for mechanics I consider broken, the targeting in Resident Evil 4 and 5 are broken if you ask me. The laser sight your supposed to use only shows up on enemies and destructible objects despite both games using real time environments. Which means that unless you happen to swing the cursor over an enemy, you'll be waving it around the screen trying to guess where it is every time you're forced to fight. It's made worse by the fact that the camera isn't always oriented over your characters shoulder the same way every time making it a pain to even try and get used to where it's usually pointing on the screen and simply aiming that way.

You do kind of get used to it as the game progresses, but you shouldn't have to. It could have easily been fixed by either having the laser sight appear on everything or at least centering the camera on where you aimed and providing the red dot there so you could more easily target. In RE4 it was annoying, but mistakes happen. Then they didn't bother fixing it in RE5 which actually kept me from buying it. Well, that and not being the biggest fan of RE4, aiming issues aside.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Item duplication glitch at the RosenQueen Co. shops in Disgaea 4 if it counts. It made it soo much easier to maximize the innocents in an item, but then they got fixed it T_T. Now, there is only darkness...