Bungie Might Make Another Halo Someday

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So basically they're saying.

"We are finished with Halo forever, unless our new series bombs. In which case we'll go back to raking it in with more Halo

Can't fault the business plan there. The question is, with Bungie stopped will Microsoft allow it's biggest earner to sit dormant, or will it farm it to some hack developer that'll turn out crap games and demolish the franchise within those five years leaving Bungie to pick up a wilting husk of a franchise with no way back from their bombing new series?

I wonder...

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Well, they've put the Chief to bed, and now they're rapping up some other aspects of his story.
When he rocks around to earth about 200 years from the end of Halo 3 and is heavily outdated and overwhelmed, I'll embrace the re-boot of the series by actually buying the platform needed to play it.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
The cash-cow alarm is ringing. I imagine they will soon be spamming up the games market with Guitar Hero Halo, Master Chief Racing, Halo Poker and maybe even Tiger Woods PGA Halo 2011-eternity.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Furburt said:
Oh god. Not more.

I want to see them make more Marathon dammit! That game series is too good to pass up continuing!
Perhaps they could make a remake of Marathon?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Well, duh! Of course they're going to continue making it, it makes money! They're not gonna stop in the slightest, I think they're pulling this whole "it's gonna be the last one" just to get more people to buy it!

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
The DSM said:
Hmm... the "Halo Trilogy" has 5 games (they arnt cannon, but its using the same franchise) and there might be a sixth, anyone else hear the cash cow being milked?
Not as much as Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, the EA Sports Games or anything Nintendo has ever done.

Besides, the Halo Trilogy has three games, with Wars, ODST and Reach being spin offs. I don't think anyone would count Chocobo Tales [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Fables:_Chocobo_Tales] or Crystal Defenders as part of the main Final Fantasy Series, so why would the other Halo games?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I think it will be interesting to see how successful Halo is without Bungie at the helm. I would imagine Bungie's return to really be contingent on both their choice AND the success of their replacements. Should the next Halo makers do well with the series, we may not hear from Bungie again as far as Halo goes.. but if they bomb, I wouldn't be shocked to see Bungie back after only one game (if MS's cash reserves have anything to say about it anyway).

And really.. why does everyone seem to think we won't be seeing more of Halo just because Bungie won't be working on it? MS fully owns the property now, as well as creating their own team to make use of it. If anything we'll be seeing more Halo than ever before.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
This is bungie we're talking about. Beyond than stagnating gaming as a whole with Halo, they have accomplished nothing else.

If they attempt to detach themselves from the halo tit, they're more than likely not going to be anything but the next defunct developer.
So Bungie puts out Halo games and a lot of people buy them, then other companies (aka NOT Bungie) virtually clone the Halo format and (according to some people) flood the market.. and this is Bungie's fault? Huh?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure the only Halo I've ever liked was Halo 1. You know, the one that was like Quake...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
We all know they will make more games for the franchise, it's like the Rolling stones going on a farewell tour and ACTUALLY meaning it.

I mean they've never made anything successful but this game series,we all know that if they make something not Halo it will sell like hotcakes because all the fan boys will eat up anything they make, even if the new game series sucked.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Truth be told, I hope they do take a break and explore some other concepts. I enjoyed the main Halo trilogy but I'm really getting the feeling that the series has reached its limit, at least for now.
I agree. The first was decently good. And I appreciate that. But the series (like many others) is getting stale. It's time for some fresh ideas.

I kind of wish Bungie had kept to making awesome games for Macs though.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
StriderShinryu said:
Hopeless Bastard said:
This is bungie we're talking about. Beyond than stagnating gaming as a whole with Halo, they have accomplished nothing else.

If they attempt to detach themselves from the halo tit, they're more than likely not going to be anything but the next defunct developer.
So Bungie puts out Halo games and a lot of people buy them, then other companies (aka NOT Bungie) virtually clone the Halo format and (according to some people) flood the market.. and this is Bungie's fault? Huh?
Yep. Bungie correctly identified the desires of the mainstream. Which are repackaged old concepts as new innovation coupled with hidden "enhancements" to make the game easier (auto-aim, regenerating health, etc) and providing continual "epic" payoff for extremely simple tasks. Bungie jumped off a bridge and landed in a pile of money and everyone else followed.
Let me get this straight.
- Bungie correctly identifies what a large portion of the gamer audience wants to see/play. - This, quite logically, makes them a lot of money.
- Then, a lot of other development groups who are lazy and lack creativity see how successful Bungie is with their "new" game design.
- These lazy and uncreative groups clone Halo to both a larger and smaller degree.
- They are in some cases successful monetarily but almost always complete failures otherwise.
- Your conclusion: The fact that these lazy uncreative developers can't do anything but copy things Halo has done is in reality Bungie's fault and not the fault of the lazy and uncreative.

Interesting.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hopeless Bastard said:
StriderShinryu said:
Hopeless Bastard said:

Yep. Bungie correctly identified the desires of the mainstream. Which are repackaged old concepts as new innovation coupled with hidden "enhancements" to make the game easier (auto-aim, regenerating health, etc) and providing continual "epic" payoff for extremely simple tasks. Bungie jumped off a bridge and landed in a pile of money and everyone else followed.
Let me get this straight.
- Bungie correctly identifies what a large portion of the gamer audience wants to see/play.
- This, quite logically, makes them a lot of money.
- Then, a lot of other development groups who are lazy and lack creativity see how successful Bungie is with their "new" game design.
- These lazy and uncreative groups clone Halo to both a larger and smaller degree.
- They are in some cases successful monetarily but almost always complete failures otherwise.
- Your conclusion: The fact that these lazy uncreative developers can't do anything but copy things Halo has done is in reality Bungie's fault and not the fault of the lazy and uncreative.

Interesting.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
God, I love Bungie. They are some truly pleasant individuals. While I don't really see Halo as anything better than a solid shooter, the studio behind it has a design philosophy I can really respect, as evidenced by Mr. Jarrad's above comments. Plus it helps that Halo has a fan-flippin-tastic soundtrack.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Take Halo one and make that the design emphasis on a single game that covers Halo 1-3 story wise but the game play is very polished, weapons are more balanced out ,AI is revamped levels are large and well done not small and cramped corridors. Then offer this master piece up in 2 parts the SP game is 99$ and has 360/PC discs in it and the MP game is 49$ with 360/PC discs the MP game will offer all known maps and play modes in Halo 1 health+ shield fashion or Halo 2+ shield only fashion.

Everyone wins!