Bungie: Story of Halo Held Them Back

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Halo: Reach doesn't have the Master Chief.
Actually Master Chief WAS on the planet Reach. Whether he's in the game or not nobody knows, but he was in fact in the book and on the planet during the events that lead to the destruction of Reach. (Halo CE starts off with MC escaping Reach aboard the Pillar of Autumn)

OT: Hopefully we get some solid info on the game soon. It's going to be interesting to see what direction this game heads in.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
And what happened with ODST? That was a brand new setting for the games wasn't it, or do they not mean expansion packs?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
GodKlown said:
So they are basing Reach on a fanfict book?
Fun fact: The Fall of Reach was published a month before Halo: Combat Evolved. It was also authored by an employee of Microsoft. The game's not based on the book anyway, I know it explicitly says so in the Edge article.

hansari

May 31, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I think a lot of people don't give enough credit to Bungie for the way they worked in all the religious symbolism, and its implications on matters such as blind-faith, dogmatism, holy wars, etc.
You examine most video games today, your likely to find some kinda underlying theme. Halo deserves credit in what its done, but its nothing innovative.

Blind-faith/dogmatism...take Assassins Creed for example. Despite its muddled story, weren't those themes present there too?

Killzone 2, despite a weak story, provides the point of the ramifications of taking out just one man.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Erana said:

Yall can stop being trolls now.
Not enough? http://halostory.bungie.org/marathon.html

If you can say that the halo franchaise has no story, its like saying that you ordered a sundae and you complain about it lacking nuts when the waiter just offered you some.
Ah, so in order to find a decent story in a video game I need to read a book about it, instead of playing the game in which the story should be? No dice, sir.

That said, I don't think the story of the Halo series is terrible, there's easily dozens of other game stories that are worse. However, I find something odd about this article. It would seem to me that if the story of one game universe was holding me back so bad that I couldn't implement some interesting mechanics, then I would look towards making a new IP using said mechanic instead of riding on a previous franchises coattails. Not to say Reach is going to be terrible, but if it really does use new mechanics and scenarios that couldn't be done by the previous game because of the story, then I see no reason to keep the story. Aka Bungie, make something new if you aren't satisfied with what you have.

Really, I'm skeptical of what it was they couldn't do. They do control the cannon after all.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
To most people in thread:
Yes, Halo had a story.
We weren't allowed to know it though, they kept it to themselves.

Which makes the whole thing kind of ridiculous...
yes, i love the fact that he aludes the story of the next game as a follow of the book some guy wrote to put a past in Master Chief, so they dont have to worry about the story making process haha

and i love how they "expect" us to understand a story that practically lives out of the games, you have to read the books to understand the whole story wich makes it a bad joke to people that only want a video game, not a way of living (breath,taste,read,sleep,dream of halo)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
What!? Original!? Surely they jest!!!

...Ill believe this statement when I see it.

Apackof12Ninjas

Oct 12, 2009
/facepalm at the ignorant trolls in this thread claiming Halo has no story...

Go back under your bridge

GodKlown said:
So they are basing Reach on a fanfict book? Maybe it is me, but doesn't this seem like a lazy approach to developing a new game?
The novel "The Fall of Reach" is official canon not fan fiction. And the story of reach is going to take place DURING the events of the "Fall of Reach" Same planet same end, just different story.

And if you have read the Fall of Reach you would know that the book for the most part doesnt even take place on Reach only in a few parts near the middle and the end. It explores the backstory of Not only Captain Keyes but the Spartan Project as well in great detail. Halo Reach on the other Hand will tell the story of A 5 man unit of mostly Spartan III's(Master Chief was a Spartan II btw) and what happens to them when Reach falls.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"parts of the game which may piss off 'hardcore fans'"

Good, because I am only somewhat of a fan, they had something with Halo: CE... but then the franchise went stale and didn't develop from that.

I mean Halo 3 just felt like Halo HD, a remake of Halo 1, in terms of gameplay (even though technically it wasn't even in HD resolution)

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
God am i sick of witty people saying 'Halo had a story'. Most come from people who have previously said they haven't played any of the games.

Anyway. This sounds interesting, not Activision sayin all their spidey games were crap interesting, but interesting none the less. Bring on better woven story.

As to the hardcore fans thing, bring it on. I want the player experience shuffled a bit.

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
Bigeyez said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
Halo: Reach doesn't have the Master Chief.
Actually Master Chief WAS on the planet Reach. Whether he's in the game or not nobody knows, but he was in fact in the book and on the planet during the events that lead to the destruction of Reach. (Halo CE starts off with MC escaping Reach aboard the Pillar of Autumn)

OT: Hopefully we get some solid info on the game soon. It's going to be interesting to see what direction this game heads in.
He wasn't ON Reach, he was above it in orbit with 2 other Spartans (trying to fix something or fight off Covenant, I don't remember the exact reason, it's been years since I've read the book), and the rest of the Spartans had been dropped down onto the planet to reinforce the bases the humans had. In the process, the 2 other Spartans with the MC are killed, (or at least 1 is, the other loses an arm and gets thrown into space) and the planet gets glassed, presumably killing off the rest of the Spartans and leaving the chief to be the only survivor.

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
GodKlown said:
Fun fact: The Fall of Reach was published a month before Halo: Combat Evolved. It was also authored by an employee of Microsoft. The game's not based on the book anyway, I know it explicitly says so in the Edge article.
According to the article, it is.

Apackof12Ninjas

Oct 12, 2009
Bluesclues said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
GodKlown said:
According to the article, it is.
I would take Bungies word over the article. Reach is based off the events that take place in the book not of the story that the book tells.

*sigh*
Also worth noting that when Eric Nyuland wrote "The Fall of Reach" he was given alot of information regarding Halo Lore FROM Bungie and its employees to make sure it was cannon and keep with the story.