Bungie's Break from Microsoft Sets Up "World Domination" Push

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Bungie's Break from Microsoft Sets Up "World Domination" Push

Now that Bungie is free from Microsoft's iron fist, the studio is forging an iron fist of its own.

Did you think that Bungie's rule over moving from Microsoft to Activision [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102987-Microsoft-Crushes-Reach-Pirates-with-Banhammer]? Definitely not. In an interview with Official Xbox Magazine, Bungie has revealed that it has much bigger plans.

When asked how things have changed since the big move, Bungie community manager Brian Jarrard let slip the studio's secret goal beyond videogame development. "For the most part, day to day development within Bungie hasn't changed since the studio divested from Microsoft," he first alleged.

Next, he said: "If anything, the return to our independent roots has reinvigorated the team and been a renewed source of inspiration." Jarrard talked about Bungie's next project as one that will "spawn new tales and experiences that we look forward to sharing with our fans throughout the next decade, building on Bungie's pedigree for great stories, best in breed gameplay, technical innovation and community integration."

He basically toted the company line, until he said in passing that Bungie would also "continue pushing towards world domination." Uh-oh. You might think the company isn't capable of deposing the world's leaders, but with its connections at Microsoft and now Activision, anything's possible. It's great that Bungie's departure has jump-started its sense of pride in future projects, but not if that means we'll have to be living under the heel of rulers dressed in power armor.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=22115]

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I'm a huge Bungie fan. It's nice to hear that they're still working towards their goal. If they are to be our overlords, they would be kick-ass at it.

It's also good to hear from them like this. They're a good studio and I can't wait to see more original products from them.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Don't worry, the foundations of the resistance movement are already in place...

....Wait... Oh... I forgot, Jack Thompson was disbarred...

...Oh well, civilization as we know it is doomed.

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
Having not been a fan of Halo, I had not paid too much attention to Bungie leaving Microsoft, but to move to Activision? When has Bobby K ever been willing to give a studio freedom when its much more fun to break and ruin them?

HPoirot

Apr 15, 2009
They have an official seven step plan for world domination.
Step 1. Start independent gaming software company.
Step 2. Dominate Mac platform: Launch assault on Windows platform
Step 3. Announce killer gaming title.
Step 4. Acquire strangely addictive Chinese food company
Step 5. Recover Ling Ling's head.
Step 6. Stage bloody coup of new parent company.
Step 7. Take over world, shoot enemies into the sun with giant slingshot.
Bungie claims that it has completed the first six steps.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I dont think Square Enix wont allow that. You know Japan has all those Mech statues and shit.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DiscoAtThePanic said:
Having not been a fan of Halo, I had not paid too much attention to Bungie leaving Microsoft, but to move to Activision? When has Bobby K ever been willing to give a studio freedom when its much more fun to break and ruin them?
Being owned by a publisher =/= working with a publisher.

Bungie was owned by Microsoft. Bungie has a partnership contract with Activision.

Do you really not understand the difference?

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
I see an army of 13 year old Halo-fans. The world is doomed!

In all seriousness, the man either has a strange sense of humour or had a little bit awkward choice of words. Or it is really true ...

FullMetalTrenchcoat

Jul 10, 2010
If I recall correctly, don't Activision only have distribution rights? I'm not too sure how much that can really affect whatever it is Bungie are doing, or how much of a stake Activision would get in world domination if any.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I hope now they will bring PC gamers in the picture and forget this "exclusive" brand.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well companies seem to claim they will be coming out with the "killer app" all the time. I understand Bungie has had a big success in the Halo franchise, but going by experience I don't take that as a guanrantee that their next project will actually be anything special.

To impress me they need more than hype. Never been much of a Halo fan, but even in terms of self-promotion these guys are pretty typical. World domination threats is nothing compared to the audacity of putting up posters claiming that your going to make the entire gaming population your *****. :p

Unless you can out-bluster Romero, it's hardly worth talking about at this point IMO.

Maybe Bungie should create cardboard cutouts of themselves holding leashes attached to Androgynous figures in gimp suits with holes where the face should be and have them placed in local gamestops. Then perhaps we can discuss bluster and self-promotion. :p

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
FullMetalTrenchcoat said:
If I recall correctly, don't Activision only have distribution rights? I'm not too sure how much that can really affect whatever it is Bungie are doing, or how much of a stake Activision would get in world domination if any.
What really matters is whether or not Activision is going to be bankrolling Bungie's games. If they are, they'll be wanting a lot of control in return. If Bungie has the capital to invest themselves, they'll be mostly autonomous.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
So Bungie have their sights set for "world dominehshun", huh? Well they are not going to have it that easily! Not on Valve's watch and not when Insomniac are on the field, i say - The Announcer certainly won't let anyone challenge her ownership of our puny planet, and i think i already hear the engines of the Lombax Starfleet warming up...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Um if my militant Overlords were dressed in power armor, i'd be the first one to sign up for that job!

"If you can't beat them, Join them!"

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
HPoirot said:
They have an official seven step plan for world domination.
Step 1. Start independent gaming software company.
Step 2. Dominate Mac platform: Launch assault on Windows platform
Step 3. Announce killer gaming title.
Step 4. Acquire strangely addictive Chinese food company
Step 5. Recover Ling Ling's head.
Step 6. Stage bloody coup of new parent company.
Step 7. Take over world, shoot enemies into the sun with giant slingshot.
Bungie claims that it has completed the first six steps.
That is the best thing I have read today. Now I wont get shot into the sun.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
'Independent roots'? 'Ruling with an iron fist'?

The writer, and indeed Bungie, are aware that they've just hopped from one big company to another, right? Alright, so the new company doesn't actually own the system they're making games for, but still. Activision are hardly indie-loving super hippies.

Others have already said that Activision are a much more silent partner than Microsoft, only handling the distribution, but it'll be interesting to see how that unfolds in practice.

Still, despite my petty sniping, it will be genuinely interesting to see what Bungie can do with a blank slate.