Bureaucracy-Em-Up

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Bureaucracy-Em-Up

If Papers, Please could be said to belong to an existing genre, then it would probably be whatever genre Trauma Center is. They're both about going through a procedure in a professional setting with massive pressure being put on you by a time limit and the context of what you're doing.

Read Full Article

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I didn't even notice anything offensive in the last video.. I can't help but think that you'd have to really look for it if you wanted to find anything offensive.

Sure, it is there, but it passes by so quickly that it you'd have to think about it, maybe go back and have a second gander.. Seems like a waste.

OT: Good article as always. Can't help but imagine another Jorji. He'd keep being sent back and forth between heaven and hell. Sure, he TRIED to smuggle drugs into the country, but he got caught each time, and he just did it to feed his family.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
But what would you do when Kratos shows up a fourth time with his veritable War & Peace-length file of committed sins?

That would be glorious to see, though, and I especially like the idea of Papers, Please or another, similarly-styled game appearing on Nintendo's dual-screen systems. They're pretty much the perfect foil for that type of disconnected screen space where you have multiple sections to focus on all at once.

Sonntam

Nov 2, 2012
I found the joke tasteless myself, therefore I'm very happy to see you adress this issue and that you have not resorted to a knee-jerk reaction. Seriously, thanks Yahtzee!

Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Maybe there could be a funny joke where Dante shows up at the booth with forged papers and then he tries to kill you by slamming your face down on the pen holders on your desk until you politely ask him to leave.
I'd pay to see that. Actually, why doesn't one spice up things a little? It's a well known fact that adventurers love to kill demons. Therefore you have to prevent them from entering Hell by giving them enormous amounts of blanks that they have to fill out, then trying to find something wrong with it and making them redo it for a bazillionth time.

If that's not a sadistic game, then I don't know what else. is.

MeisterKleister

Mar 9, 2012
I don't see how interpretations could work well in a video game, as opposed to clear rules. I remember often encountering this problem, where I disagreed on what the game or questionnaire said was the "right" or "best" answer/thing to do. I've found it kinda frustrating.

You'd need some kind of advanced AI or a human that can determine whether the arguments and reasons behind your interpretation are good.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Damnit! Why do you keep coming up with amazing ideas for games we'll likely never get to see T^T

It's like being a starving orphan kid looking into a bakery and seeing all the food they can't afford.

Oh well...

MichaelMaverick

Jan 28, 2009
Did you get shit for having once said the word faggotry, too? 'Cause back then you didn't seem to care, but now you go to somewhat extensive lengths to avoid offense. I saw no problem back then, nor did I see it now. Just seems uncharacteristic of you.

MeisterKleister

Mar 9, 2012
MichaelMaverick said:
Did you get shit for having once said the word faggotry, too? 'Cause back then you didn't seem to care, but now you go to somewhat extensive lengths to avoid offense. I saw no problem back then, nor did I see it now. Just seems uncharacteristic of you.
It's different. He didn't "get shit" for merely using a word, he apologized for inadvertently enforcing gender roles by implying that trans-women aren't women.

I disagree that that was implied, but I do agree that his choice of words was poor and 'pantomime dames [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime_dame]' would've conveyed the joke much better.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
But what would you do when Kratos shows up a fourth time with his veritable War & Peace-length file of committed sins?
Only one thing place to send him then:

[email protected]

Jun 18, 2012
PBMcNair said:
shrekfan246 said:
Only one thing place to send him then:
No no.... that's only reserved for pederasts and people who talk in the theater.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I noticed the Trannies sign of course, but figured it was from the game, not you.
If you don't know your reputation it might seem like it was your mind putting it out there, though.

Still, in general: Never censor fun and creativity out of fear of hurting feelings with comedy.
Not that you should DO every nasty thing you come up with, of course, you must filter yourself and set a line of decency.
But something you deem fine should just be that; fine.
Haters gonna hate anyway, I hear...

They should really make that sequel you just alluded too!
Be sure to contact the guy!!!

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
MichaelMaverick said:
I disagree that that was implied, but I do agree that his choice of words was poor and 'pantomime dames [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantomime_dame]' would've conveyed the joke much better.
Oh wow, I agreed with your sentiment but I felt the new joke was kinda lame. Now now that I know the historical context it actually seems funnier than the original!

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
I have contemplated obtuse fantasies of working in purgatory, directing various forms of punishment.

I believe that a great added bonus to such a game would be to judge actual infamous individuals. Quite a position it would be to judge, Godwin's Law, Hitler.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Genocidicles said:
I didn't see what was wrong with the joke in the first place, but whatever.
Look on the bright side, at least now we know that if we cry and stamp our feet enough we can get The Escapist to change or remove parts of their videos.

ErinBeee

Aug 22, 2013
I have so much respect for Yahtzee for this. I didn't think he'd acknowledge it, but he did, and he took the time to understand what was wrong with it and apologised for that, rather than just a blanket "Sorry for any offense caused blah blah"

Good on you dude, and good review!

xxxx

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Makes me wonder if Yahtzee has ever had any control over which frame of his video ends up as the thumbnail. Or if even the Escapist editors do, or if it's just auto-generated like on YouTube. It has always felt kind of random.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
About fixing Midas: I once read a book called Gyehenna (a weird-ass religious propaganda work my father received from one of his co-workers and I used it on live reading-sessions to mock it), and there was one salvageable idea there: The judge of the underworld was a seat that got periodically got re-assigned to demons that influenced human culture. In the book, it was the Frankenstein monster's turn (I tell you, it was a hilariously narmy book).

So, here's your goal: You are the new Judge of the Underworld, say, Count Drakula or Darth Vader or Sauron or something, assigned to the post in haste because of your predecessor's tardiness (he is now chewed by Lucifer, the poor bastard). If you don't want to end up like him, you have to do a better job and thus you have your motivation right there. :p

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Editing the original video aside and whatever your thoughts on the joke itself and the necessity of an apology, he did one and it was well done - so that's a good thing. I'm staying well away from any further comment on the matter.