Bureaucracy-Em-Up

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Or they could make a game where we play as a police detective and he must solve crimes by collecting evidence. The evidence should be used to expose the lies of people who we interrogate.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What's with the apology? If any other group had been offended, there wouldn't be an apology. Christians, women, Americans, Mexicans, Nintendo fans, space marines, etc... When you make a point of offending as many different groups of people as you consistently do, it weakens your persona to apologize to one group just because they're currently more politically correct at the moment.

Remember that time Isaac Hayes had no trouble making fun of absolutely everyone, but when South Park did an episode on Scientology, he quit? That's kinda how this seems.

P.S. Thanks

anANGRYkangaroo

May 15, 2011
I like Yahtzees idea, but I think it should be bigger.
Not just hell, but heaven and hell.

To have people at the pearly gates begging not to be damned for their moment of weakness could be interesting.
Very interesting.
You could, of course, still incorporate the 7 circles, and such.
Would be fun.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Actually, I've been calling it the ''Spec Ops: The Line'' of the ''Cooking Mama'' genre. Every day is a new recipe, and the narrative recontextualizes your actions into something completely different.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Glad to see the joke clarified (I found it pretty funny actually), sadly most of the people won't even know because Extra Punctuation isn't as well known nor would most of the people even care. Never forgive, never forget.

I kinda like this game idea, I'd probably buy it even though I have no intention on getting Papers, Please. Perhaps we could have Kratos replace the "Men with guns" considering how much time he spends in hell.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Covarr said:
What's with the apology? If any other group had been offended, there wouldn't be an apology. Christians, women, Americans, Mexicans, Nintendo fans, space marines, etc...
The difference is that those groups (well, except for maybe Mexicans) aren't a minority that frequently encounters serious hostility, sometimes to the point of being verbally or physically assaulted. Making an offensive joke at their expense is like kicking someone when they're down.

Nov 24, 2010
Genocidicles said:
I didn't see what was wrong with the joke in the first place, but whatever.
maybe becuse society never ever tried to force you into a role which isnt you at the cost of your fucking sanity? and if you start to deny society the role to force you to do shit, your wish will be ignored, you are the ass of a lot of jokes made by people who will never be in your shoes and which life isnt inf ucking danger just for existing.

@yatzee:thanks. it takes balls (or eggs or whatever..)a heart and guts not only to see such stuff but also to use the guts you have and changing..

@people-who-think-that-stuff-is-okay-as-long-as-its-funny:eek:kay,i bet you love minstrel shows, ay? i mean, ist art, art is free, art should doing anything, so minstrel shows for the win. just ignore these Black crybabes which just want to be treated like fucking humans by the one having power over their media-representation and. aeh, life.

and, yes, that is the same. transpeople get denied rights, are more often victims of hate-crimes(there are no cis-hate crimes, (almost)nobody will kill you because you are "a" man. society wont force you to live life that isn't yours and will force you to live inside a body which will usually make you sick if you wait long enough (high rate of depression, very high suicide rates. discrimination jobwise-because you have to wait until puberty, your body will change, you might get depressive, transition can only lesser the harm that is done, you will have problem with casual discrimination-not only harassment, but problems getting jobs or a house or a flat or whatever.)

so, yeah, great, you are lucky because you are privileged. because there are enough people who arent-and these peoeple are the butts of jokes by privileged people. and add this to discrimination&the rest and you kick people wo get their fair share of beating regularly. so to speak.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
firmicute said:
Holy snip
Is English your second language? I could not understand a word of that.

Still, from what I gather you're pissed. My point of view is as long as the intent is harmless you shouldn't apologize for humour. Clearly Yahtzee felt the need to apologize due to his initial lack of clarification, but since he didn't mean it that way I don't think he really had to.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but this whole thing was ridiculous. No offence to transsexual individuals, but don't you think going after a guy who creates weekly satirical game review videos, known to include harmlessly snide jokes directed at almost everybody, is a waste of time? Your efforts would be better focused elsewhere. This changes next to nothing. And one can certainly tell that Yahtzee wasn't trying to be malicious.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
firmicute said:
Yeah, sorry but no. He made a holocaust joke as well, and there was nary a peep about that. Either nothing is exempt from comedy, or everything is.

Jun 23, 2008
Addressing the first issue (that is a far as I got) my familiarity is with the gay community here in San Francisco, and there are plenty of examples of cognitive dissonance that still emerge.

One is (or at least used to be) the common Fleet Week occurrence, which are sailors who are definitely not gay, but they do love them a some bear cock (or required to be heterosexual [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TwentyBearAsses], but there's still some stigma so that it still happens.

It also happens fairly regularly with civilian men who, for one reason or another (say, they're married) don't want to admit that they like a bit of the pink mayonnaise cannon [http://www.fiftyshadesgenerator.com/] now and again. Usually, the more they have to lose, the more discreet they have to be.

On the flip side, I've had a couple of girlfriends who were adamantly lesbian even when we were sexually active and sexually exclusive. Part of that is this phenomenon is that lesbian is a community (and a somewhat conformist one) here in San Francisco. Bisexuality has stigma much like gay does in the conservative mainstream. Maybe more so.

I think it usually comes to that: people identify more with the community they're in rather than who they like to fuck, so that even as we reduce homophobia, people will still identify as gay, straight, lesbian, whatever. Very similarly, I identify as BDSM even though my sexual proclivities run fairly vanilla, but I was raised (that is sexualized as a young adult) in the BDSM community. I know my way around negotiation, safewords, limits and boundaries, munches, parties, floggers, toys and so on, and so those are the people with whom I identify, whether or not I invoke restraints and clamps in my loveplay.

Regarding the specific transsexual / futanari fetish that seems to go around quite a bit, Dan Savage hypothesizes it's a way that some of us express our fascination with penises that are not ours, yet find the whole masculine shape / energy / whathaveyou difficult to sexualize, so (fantasy being a malleable thing) we attach oversized cocks to voluptuous women (or in some more interesting cases, other things). One wonders if this is the what caused glory holes to be invented. Pre-op (or partial-op) trans are, in this light, a real-world opportunity to actualize that fetish.

But what this means is that just because you appreciate some futa doesn't mean you're particularly high-ranking on the one drop rule [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale]. Granted, most people who like excluding traits or behaviors from their community do.

238U

EDIT: fixed my markups.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
Genocidicles said:
firmicute said:
Yeah, sorry but no. He made a holocaust joke as well, and there was nary a peep about that. Either nothing is exempt from comedy, or everything is.
You may want to rephrase your argument, before anyone accuses you of "lifting your views and arguments from cartoons". (Man, everybody loves to hate South Park these days).

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Miroluck said:
You may want to rephrase your argument, before anyone accuses you of "lifting your views and arguments from cartoons". (Man, everybody loves to hate South Park these days).
That's from South Park? Was it one of the episodes about Muhammed?

Eh I dunno'... I still think it's a good point regardless of the source.

Miroluck

Jun 5, 2013
Genocidicles said:
Miroluck said:
That's from South Park? Was it one of the episodes about Muhammed?
Yes, it is.

Eh I dunno'... I still think it's a good point regardless of the source.
Argument itself is debatable, but acceptable. I think I confused it with "Dolphin" argument - that's the one people are usually being upset about.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
See, context is everything. Yahtzee wasn't directly insulting transgendered people (although it was sweet of him to apologize for any misunderstanding), he used it as a way to describe one of many restrictive policies of a FICTIONAL EVIL DICTATORSHIP. Now I must try Papers, Please and see just how addictive that gameplay style can be.

Also, it was MINOS who was a Judge of the Underworld, not Midas. If Dante or Kratos came charging at the gates of hell, all full of homicidal rage, Midas could turn them into gold and that would be the end of it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
You, the venerable and inestimable stallion of games journalism that you are, could contact the designer and proffer the idea as a kind of expansion, you know. Which may not be appreciated, but could at least be considered. It's not often enough that designers hear ideas of improvement from critics and reviewers, instead just hearing where they messed up without hearing a way they could have done it better.

Nice of you to clarify that you don't want to enforce antiquated gender roles, Yahtzee.

shrekfan246 said:
But what would you do when Kratos shows up a fourth time with his veritable War & Peace-length file of committed sins?

That would be glorious to see, though, and I especially like the idea of Papers, Please or another, similarly-styled game appearing on Nintendo's dual-screen systems. They're pretty much the perfect foil for that type of disconnected screen space where you have multiple sections to focus on all at once.
Hasn't he already been at least five times? I haven't played Ascension yet, but he's gone every other time, and it's not like a gatekeeper has ever been able to successfully keep him out of anything, ever.