Burka Avenger Fights For "Justice, Peace, and Education"

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
Why is this trailer in English if it is being created for Pakistan by Pakistan? the skeptical side of me is telling be that this is an attempt to get people from western countries to donate money for the series even though the creator does not plan on actually planning on really working on the project. I really hope that skeptical side of me is dead wrong because this is definitely a worth while idea and needs to be supported.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
So I'm guessing that the "biggest musical acts" are those popular in Pakistan? I've never heard of any of them.

The children are kind of annoying but I like the character design of the teacher.

It's less a burkha than it is a ninja costume though.

Jul 31, 2013
JSF01 said:
Why is this trailer in English if it is being created for Pakistan by Pakistan? the skeptical side of me is telling be that this is an attempt to get people from western countries to donate money for the series even though the creator does not plan on actually planning on really working on the project. I really hope that skeptical side of me is dead wrong because this is definitely a worth while idea and needs to be supported.
Don't you worry, mate. The cartoon itself is in Urdu, the creator just decided to also make an English trailer. That extra publicity never hurts, I guess.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Does the cartoon go into why she has to wear the costume because of oppressive religious dogma?

(BTW I am as disturbed over this this as I would be over any bible-based superhero if anyone is feeling hypersensitive)

Sean Kay

Jul 4, 2011
Nurb said:
Does the cartoon go into why she has to wear the costume because of oppressive religious dogma?

(BTW I am as disturbed over this this as I would be over any bible-based superhero if anyone is feeling hypersensitive)
Did you even read the story? She doesn't HAVE to wear the Burqa, she chooses to wear it as a disguise to help her fight crime and a lack of education. Really its a Pakistani version of Captain Planet, complete with the "Stay in school kids!" kind of messages

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
That sounds pretty damned awesome, actually.

Not to mention a burqa is ironically a lot more sensible than most female superhero costumes.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Sean Kay said:
Nurb said:

Did you even read the story? She doesn't HAVE to wear the Burqa, she chooses to wear it as a disguise to help her fight crime and a lack of education. Really its a Pakistani version of Captain Planet, complete with the "Stay in school kids!" kind of messages
She "chooses" to wear it because it's rooted in religious BS that wouldn't even exist if not for the bronze age segregation and hiding of property.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
This is odd. Sounds like they're actually taking the old joke of the women in burkas looking like ninjas to heart and turning it into a TV show? Okay, she doesn't use ninja stars but she is employing throwing pens...

Also, apparently this teacher isn't wearing the burka in day-to-day life, only as her alter ego. Is that... a good message? I don't know. It tries to make the burka cool but at the same time it doesn't seem to make it a requirement.

Lastly... am I the only one who got kind of weirded out by that one bully? The smaller one? Namely, his nose? Seems like quite a stereotype at work there, or is it just me?

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
For some reason it reminds me of MLP:FIM in Pakistan. The way the creator is making this, (Not for marketing uses but for a actual show thats to be ts own) Having a moral lesson and such be the center piece of each episode.

Over all i would watch this if it came to America.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Nurb said:
Sean Kay said:
Nurb said:

She "chooses" to wear it because it's rooted in religious BS that wouldn't even exist if not for the bronze age segregation and hiding of property.
I suggest you read the article again, she does not wear it during the day (which she would if you were correct), she only wears it at night to cover her identity like other superheroes do. If you want to debate the burqa I suggest another topic to prevent this one from being derailed, in the case of this cartoon that argument is irreverent.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
So... a Pakistani version of The Magic Schoolbus by way of Iron Monkey, with a little Captain Planet/GI Joe generic moralism tossed in for good measure?

I can dig it.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
RicoADF said:
Nurb said:
Sean Kay said:
Nurb said:

I suggest you read the article again, she does not wear it during the day (which she would if you were correct), she only wears it at night to cover her identity like other superheroes do. If you want to debate the burqa I suggest another topic to prevent this one from being derailed, in the case of this cartoon that argument is irreverent.
Ok, the evil guys she fights are Indian and Jewish stereotypes...

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
SanguiniusMagnificum said:
JSF01 said:
Don't you worry, mate. The cartoon itself is in Urdu, the creator just decided to also make an English trailer. That extra publicity never hurts, I guess.
That's great to hear. Then my only complaint than is that it comes off real corny which would seem to indicated it is for children around the age of 5 and younger, though hopefully that's just a side affect of it being translated.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Nurb said:
Well, Western superhero cartoons don't usually discuss why boots, gloves and capes are symbols of power rooted in classism, or why female heroes tend to have to show their legs off. So I'm guessing that's a 'no.'

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Norithics said:
Nurb said:
Well, Western superhero cartoons don't usually discuss why boots, gloves and capes are symbols of power rooted in classism, or why female heroes tend to have to show their legs off. So I'm guessing that's a 'no.'
I'd like to hear about classism regarding boots and gloves.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I'm not sure how I feel about the burka. Its not that she is forced to wear it but she wants to, which would encourage girls to wear it as well I imagine... So arguably nobler intentions but same result anyway. But I am very grateful it is encouraging education and other things and this seems mostly harmless and in good spirit.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I find it really fascinating to see how different cultures tackle the same material from a different cultural angle.
And the concept is great too, fighting for equal education and stuff.
Personally, I don't see a problem with the use of the Burka in this case either. She choses to wear it herself, and does it to conceal her identity, propably because it was the most convenient thing around.