Burka Avenger Fights For "Justice, Peace, and Education"

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
rhizhim said:
thats looks kind of cool, but why do they had to include a goat as sidekick for the comedic relief?
thats pretty damn cliché..

In an interview he said its because goats are a common pet in Pakistani towns. I guess its similar to Catwoman being,"oh, single chicks dig cats?

This seems interesting. I hope it does well.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
This is fantastic. It's great to see an attempt to push positive cultural change in a society that so sorely needs it. Good luck to the artists and I'm praying that this sees a successful run.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
She's not the hero Islam deserves, but the one it needs right now. So they'll hunt her, because she can take it. Because she's not their hero. She's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Burka Knight.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Seriously, not much new that character have been one of the X-Men for years: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/DustProfile.jpg/250px-DustProfile.jpg

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Talvrae said:
Seriously, not much new that character have been one of the X-Men for years: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/DustProfile.jpg/250px-DustProfile.jpg
Can't you just enjoy something for being cool, rather than denigrating it for being similar to something that already exists? Not to mention that beyond the "Superhero in a Burka" thing there's not a lot of common ground.

OT: Nifty. I really hope this manages to come to the US, though I know it wouldn't be as culturally relevant. At least not directly.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I applaud this heartily. The burka is a controversial item of clothing (At it's root of origin, as are bras). But it's use here is a nice idea...as a first couple of steps, especially as it seems she doesn't wear it for anything other than superhero identity, during her day job she's un covered.

...However the animation style isn't my cup of tea. Still...I hope it takes off where it's needed.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Nurb said:
Does the cartoon go into why she has to wear the costume because of oppressive religious dogma?

(BTW I am as disturbed over this this as I would be over any bible-based superhero if anyone is feeling hypersensitive)
As the article clearly states, she doesn't have to wear the costume. It's a way of disguising her identity. She's not being forced to. She's practically turning her enemies' own weapons against them.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I question the use of the burka as the outfit. It comes off as encouraging young girls to wear burkas because the super hero wears them.

Ian Kapsthan Frost

Oct 26, 2009
Although the show appears to be well-intentioned, it still seems like it could have pro-burka effect on its audience, especially since the the main character doesn't wear it all the time. It seems to basically say: Hey, you can be a normal and boring person OR you could put on a burka and be an awesome superhero. And since burkas are so widespread, it is quite easy to just put one on. Well, for girls at least. It's as if someone told me it would be totally socially acceptable to run around dressed like Batman all day. If I was still a kid I would totally do that.

I do not know nearly enough to make a reasonably qualified statement about burkas in general, but I could see the point of them being glorified somewhat. Perhaps not as the "trendy symbol" the news mentions it being criticized as, but simply as the type of clothes that this "super-awesome TV-superhero is wearing!!".

On the other hand, characters using religion/culture/nation related clothes have existed since the days of Captain America or The Monk [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_(comics)], and I doubt they affected the mind of its audience that much.

At the end of the day it might just be perceived as what it apparently is, a funny use of a burka as a superhero costume.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
non-violent? Have you ever had a pen stuck in your eye? In fact it's hard to imagine flinging pens at high rates of speed at someone without at least drawing blood.
:)

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Dark Knifer said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the burka. Its not that she is forced to wear it but she wants to, which would encourage girls to wear it as well I imagine...
Ian Kapsthan Frost said:
Although the show appears to be well-intentioned, it still seems like it could have pro-burka effect on its audience, especially since the the main character doesn't wear it all the time. It seems to basically say: Hey, you can be a normal and boring person OR you could put on a burka and be an awesome superhero.
But it's a *costume*. That's like saying boys who like Superman will be encouraged to get into capes as a fashion item, or Wonder Woman will make girls grow up wanting to wear big flouncy pants and an eagle bra.

I think turning a burqa into a costume is genuinely subversive. It simultaneously hooks into the culture and undermines it. If little girls dress up in a burqa for entertainment to pretend to be a superhero, the last thing they'll take away from that is that it's also a sensible clothing option.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Technically she isn't the first superhero to wear a burka as her costume/ suit, look up Dust from X-men. I'm not complaining as it does look appealing for the kids to watch it and the premise itself look positive.

Ian Kapsthan Frost

Oct 26, 2009
Flatfrog said:
Dark Knifer said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the burka. Its not that she is forced to wear it but she wants to, which would encourage girls to wear it as well I imagine...
Ian Kapsthan Frost said:
Although the show appears to be well-intentioned, it still seems like it could have pro-burka effect on its audience, especially since the the main character doesn't wear it all the time. It seems to basically say: Hey, you can be a normal and boring person OR you could put on a burka and be an awesome superhero.
But it's a *costume*. That's like saying boys who like Superman will be encouraged to get into capes as a fashion item, or Wonder Woman will make girls grow up wanting to wear big flouncy pants and an eagle bra.

I think turning a burqa into a costume is genuinely subversive. It simultaneously hooks into the culture and undermines it. If little girls dress up in a burqa for entertainment to pretend to be a superhero, the last thing they'll take away from that is that it's also a sensible clothing option.
This does seem like a possible effect that I hadn't thought of, a very good point indeed. Girls reaching the age to wear a burka might really start regarding to do so as stupid. On the other hand though, if someone told me it would be okay to dress up like a superhero in real life, and that a lot of people would even prefer me doing so ... I would probably go for that INSTANTLY. By the way, does anyone know at which age girls are supposed to start wearing a burka? I loosely remember that headscarfs were linked to menstruation, but I don't know anything exactly.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
As long as the goal isn't to get girls to shut up and wear their burka, then that's fine. If that is their goal, they're doing it all stupid anyway. People don't walk around all day dressed like Batman. This turns the burka into a costume, not everyday wear. If this is the case, it would be another case of the religious wrong not understanding people at all.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
So throwing books as weapons...I don't think that points to "education" as the author might intend for it to do. I mean you might as well use books to keep yourself warm, but in both cases the intended use is not really accomplished.

I still think burka is a messed up choice for a superhero costume since it kind of sends contradictory messages. And it is in itself a "stereotype". On the other hand, Assassin's Creed protagonists need to see how "blending into the crowd" is done, I dare ya to try and find her when she hides among other people in burkas.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Hmm, I like the design a lot and it looks cute. I hope it finds an audience.

I've heard some people express a desire to see it get a domestic US release...which I imagine has the same chance of happening as a snowball fight in hell.

I still remember "The 99" and the embarrassing manner in which it was received.