Burka Avenger Fights For "Justice, Peace, and Education"

Jun 23, 2008
Just a minor nitpick, when you throw heavy or pointy objects at people with enough force to make a difference, that is violence. Just because she's beaning / poking them with books and pens doesn't give her a free pass as a pacifist.

Maybe if she used her 15-years-of-teaching-honed voice of authority (e.g. You. Sit down. You. Shut up. YOU! To the principal's office. NOW!) one might be able to argue she's engaging in non-violent (or at least less-violent) action.

One wonders if she'll be fighting Shariah-maximalist radicals or the Talibani government, or will they just make up foes for her to fight?

238U

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
Colt47 said:
I question the use of the burka as the outfit. It comes off as encouraging young girls to wear burkas because the super hero wears them.
Well, 1) Burka are only a problem when people don't want to wear them, if she makes Burka popular it's not for us to say they shouldn't be worn.
and 2) Where do you bring your spandex and cape to get them cleaned, I tried a regular dry cleaner and the whole outfit faded and shrank. Do you know if there's a special process you can ask for or something?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
ShadowStar42 said:
Colt47 said:
I question the use of the burka as the outfit. It comes off as encouraging young girls to wear burkas because the super hero wears them.
Well, 1) Burka are only a problem when people don't want to wear them, if she makes Burka popular it's not for us to say they shouldn't be worn.
and 2) Where do you bring your spandex and cape to get them cleaned, I tried a regular dry cleaner and the whole outfit faded and shrank. Do you know if there's a special process you can ask for or something?
Is number 2 aimed at my comment or someone elses? It doesn't seem to connect at all to anything I said without some kind of mental gymnastics and false assumptions.

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
Colt47 said:
ShadowStar42 said:
Colt47 said:
Is number 2 aimed at my comment or someone elses? It doesn't seem to connect at all to anything I said without some kind of mental gymnastics and false assumptions.
Pointing out your false assumption that a superhero wearing something will somehow make it more common wear in normal society. There is literally no part of the a popular super hero's costume that is in any way popular clothing.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
ShadowStar42 said:
Colt47 said:
ShadowStar42 said:
Colt47 said:
Pointing out your false assumption that a superhero wearing something will somehow make it more common wear in normal society. There is literally no part of the a popular super hero's costume that is in any way popular clothing.
It's the target audience that is making the difference. You're running off in the wrong direction.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I think the idea behind it is absolutely fantastic.
Though, the animation is a little bit crude IMO. Also... the English voices weren't that great either.

That being said, most kids won't care :p

Jan 9, 2012
This was painful to watch, I didn't get through the trailer. Badly animated, unnatural dialog and they just had to turn the cheesy up to 11. Thought I think this could actually improve Pakistani society, so it is still a good thing, and I am pretty sure close-fitting burqas (essentially ninja suits) may not be equivalent to most real burkas. You can all stop throwing hissy fit's now. and I concur with some of the others above, violence with unusual weapons is still violence.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
The creator of the show is Haroon (not Aaron or Rashid as some escapists would pronounce), he is a very famous singer in Pakistan. So is Ali Azmat(search him on youtube, you guys will love his stuff especially if you are fans of rock music and I mean hard rock). Didn't recognize anyone else.
Ali Azamt's stuff isn't exactly family friendly, with one video "Na Re Na" showing what I think is supposed to be Hell.
NOTE: I didn't actually watch the whole video, it scares me too much.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gu9b_na-re-na-ali-azmat_news?search_algo=2

rhizhim said:
thats looks kind of cool, but why do they had to include a goat as sidekick for the comedic relief?
thats pretty damn cliché..
That kind of thing is always included in Pakistani cartoons, unfortunately, the only other ones I can name are Commander Safeguard and something similar by Detol soap. At least this time it makes sense because they are in a village.
For the cheesiness factor, I am more concerned about her throwing pens and books at those Taliban or Jagirdars(very powerful feudal landlords who oppose education so that everyone in the village works for them and no one dares oppose them). I expected better from Haroon and especially if Ali Azmat has any creative input to this show.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
I scrolled through some comments here and wow. What is with you people and female character costumes? On the one hand you talk only about the art design of Dragon's Crown and forget everything else about it because some characters are wearing too little and here you do the same thing because she is wearing too much? I didn't realize that female characters are supposed to have some kind of dress code in the west. If this is what the artist wanted, isn't he allowed to do it. Besides this is the only way to copy Batman without literally copying Batman or making a complete ninja and tell me one superhero more popular than Batman.

And who are you to dictate what should or shouldn't be popular women's clothing. If they want to wear it, its their choice and if they don't, its their choice. Unlike Iran or Saudi Arabia(which oddly enough are bitter enemies, if you didn't know and your ally in this fight is the one which doesn't allow women to even drive based on old Arab traditions), we don't force these things.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
JSF01 said:
SanguiniusMagnificum said:
JSF01 said:
Why is this trailer in English if it is being created for Pakistan by Pakistan? the skeptical side of me is telling be that this is an attempt to get people from western countries to donate money for the series even though the creator does not plan on actually planning on really working on the project. I really hope that skeptical side of me is dead wrong because this is definitely a worth while idea and needs to be supported.
Don't you worry, mate. The cartoon itself is in Urdu, the creator just decided to also make an English trailer. That extra publicity never hurts, I guess.
That's great to hear. Then my only complaint than is that it comes off real corny which would seem to indicated it is for children around the age of 5 and younger, though hopefully that's just a side affect of it being translated.
Unfortunately, that is how EVERY Pakistani cartoon looks. Pakistani animation is still in its infancy and most if not all is for commercials, not actual shows. I would prefer hand drawn stuff but that's too expensive and people can be a bit too lazy for that.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, I have to give the creator props for trying to be progressive... I just hope this turns out well...