Buy A Warhammer 40k Space Marine Chapter For $11K

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Windknight said:
Lunar Templar said:
If I had the 11K to just blow, my reaction would be this "Got any chapters that don't suck as an option? Cuase fuck the Ultra Smurfs"
you're always free to make up your own, its what a lot of people do.
for 11K i should be able to get exactly what I want -.-

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
And of course, Aussies get shafted on price, to the tune of 6k, just another reason GW is going bust here.

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
The whole point of this is that this is the first time they've precisely named everything a chapter might have available to bring onto the battlefield.
As it is unpainted and unassembled, and the majority of the pieces aren't chapter specific (other than the full set of Ultrasmurf characters) you don't HAVE to use them as Ultramarines, and I'm pretty sure that they're useful for conversion anyway.
I believe someone on Faeit212 calculated this to be a 11% discount - meaning that you can do better, certainly - but the convenience comes from the fact there's no way in hell that an online retailer would be able to give you all of this at once.
If you're really serious about anything like this, the only sound option is to buy this either because you've run out of anything else, and/or that you have the best gaming group ever so that you can paint this over a week as a team... because there's no way in hell anyone would be able to do this to a high standard by themselves.

TBH, what disappoints me about this is the lack of any cases or such to hold these in. I know you're nigh on NEVER going to bring this all to a store at once, but I think the display part of it is probably the hardest part when it comes to owning a Chapter - especially one where everything blurs together. (At least with the alternative chapters you can model your units differently - Smurfs be the same :( )

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
If I had the 11K to just blow, my reaction would be this "Got any chapters that don't suck as an option? Cuase fuck the Ultra Smurfs"
...Hold that thought. There's the...

• Imperial Fists
  • Iron Snakes
  • Salamanders
  • Iron Hands
  • Raven Guard
  • Crimson Fists
  • Exorcists
  • Death Spectres
  • BLUD REHVENS
  • Mortefactors
  • Astral Knights

AND LOADS MOAR!

(Note: All of these Chapters above could concievably be built with the Chapter Box and not including any add-on components or inappropriate models, such as the Black Templars and Space Wolves, as awesome as they are)

OT: Slow News Day? Because this has been kicking around since this weekend.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Or you could buy a car, or put a deposit on a house, or start a business.

I could go on.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
bjj hero said:

I could go on.
Or not?

This line of thought is applicable to pretty much everything that people do. It doesn't actually devalue anything you're talking about.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Man and here I thought Magic the Gathering was expensive back in the day. I mean I love strategy games so I'd probably have a blast playing this, like back in the SNES days I used to love Ogre Battle and had always had fun breaking up all the units and reorganizing my 100-man army, but man is WH ever an expensive hobby.

Speaking of which while I wouldn't actually wish this on any company I'm kind of surprised there isn't (or maybe there is?) a counterfeit market for these figurines. If the little plastic models start at $5 you'd have to figure that someone in China or wherever could produce some knock off versions and make a buck selling them for much cheaper.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
bjj hero said:

I could go on.
Yes, but will it satisfy your urge for plastic crack? My point is made.

I checked out the old GW store not long back, just to see some of the displays and newer minis. What I found was the prices had more than doubled and the Space Marines are now using giant robot baby carriers.

I'm glad I bailed out when I did.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
"These kits comes supplied unpainted and require assembly - we recommend using Citadel Plastic Glue, Citadel Super Glue and Citadel Paints... and you're going to need lots!"
So add the rest of your yearly income to the price along with all your time.
Decent plastic and superglues arent exactly rare or expensive. Especially compared to what GW thinks is decent value.

And my solution to the paint is to buy one pot of each colour you think youre going to need, then take it to one of those paint mixing machines at your local hardware store and come home with a couple of cans of that.

Seriously, one of the things that going to be GW's downfall is the increasing number of ways you can circumvent them. With 3D printing around the corner i wouldnt be surprised to see or hear of people scanning and printing out thier own models.

Mar 26, 2008
MinionJoe said:
shintakie10 said:
$11,690 for 1200 units?

Not at all precise math means that each unit is 10 bucks.

I'm not sure if that's more or less than the normal prices, but damn is that expensive.
That's normal prices.

I checked out their webpage the other day and their boxed army sets are the same prices as if you bought all the figures individually.

There's absolutely no discount here whatsoever.
With the money I've already sunk into my Dark Angels that sounds about right. Combine that with the cost of paint and it hurts the hip pocket.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
gigastar said:
Xan Krieger said:
"These kits comes supplied unpainted and require assembly - we recommend using Citadel Plastic Glue, Citadel Super Glue and Citadel Paints... and you're going to need lots!"
So add the rest of your yearly income to the price along with all your time.
Decent plastic and superglues arent exactly rare or expensive. Especially compared to what GW thinks is decent value.

And my solution to the paint is to buy one pot of each colour you think youre going to need, then take it to one of those paint mixing machines at your local hardware store and come home with a couple of cans of that.

Seriously, one of the things that going to be GW's downfall is the increasing number of ways you can circumvent them. With 3D printing around the corner i wouldnt be surprised to see or hear of people scanning and printing out thier own models.
Even then I'd want to pay extra just so someone would paint them, I've tried painting a squad of space marines and it went over about as well as a chainsword enema.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Noswad said:
You could buy 3D printer and hire an artist to design your own chapter for that much. Its a shame i could probably quite enjoy Warhammer, if not take it seriously, but every time i go and have a look, i just look at the prices and think fuck that.
That's.....actually a reasonable idea.

If I had any talent in Autocad or some such I could see myself doing that.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Sometimes my fiancee remarks that photography is an expensive hobby. I think I need to take her on a trip to Games Workshop to give her some perspective.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Noswad said:
You could buy 3D printer and hire an artist to design your own chapter for that much. Its a shame i could probably quite enjoy Warhammer, if not take it seriously, but every time i go and have a look, i just look at the prices and think fuck that.
That's amazing. Honestly, I had more fun customizing and painting my army than I ever did playing it (that chump with the Grey Knights made a point of stomping every into dust). In five years when that tech becomes more common place, I'll have to do that.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
My brother, who's a major Games Workshop fan brought this to my attention a week or two ago. All I could think was "As if I needed further proof that I don't make nearly enough money to seriously consider investing in this game!"

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Games Workshop has its head buried way up its ass. I wouldn't give them another cent for their overpriced garbage.

They crossed a line when they decided they own the term "space marine" despite other sources using it befor them and started bullying people who use it in other media.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
That isn't bad for the price of the individual unit, back in the day Orion was like £25.
(Edit: Just did a price check, Orion is now £23.50 for the model and two hounds)

This is pretty decent considering vehicles and such.