Buy A Warhammer 40k Space Marine Chapter For $11K

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
If anyone were to buy this, they would be mocked as posers, without a doubt. Don't get me wrong, I would like to play, and I don't have the energy to paint my own figures, but fucking hell the prices are so ridiculous..

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
shintakie10 said:
$11,690 for 1200 units?

Not at all precise math means that each unit is 10 bucks.

I'm not sure if that's more or less than the normal prices, but damn is that expensive.
On average, but the vehicles and larger figures and "hero" units (I don't play 40k, I just know they're expensive) cost significantly more than the average foot soldier.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I just was on a lecture in school yesterday, about the world's resources being overused, the economy consuming the planet, how much each country consumes etc. I saw this deal the same day. It made me sad. Games Workshop in general has made me sad for a long time now. Good thing I have plenty of miniatures both painted and unpainted already, so I don't buy nearly at all from them nowadays.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Adeptus Aspartem said:
A sad an lousy attempt from GW to stop their plumbeting sales and stop the players from leaving the sinking ship.

Your time's running out GW.
except they're not. GW's profit has been on a slight but steady increase. The BBC interviewed them earlier this year about how they are growing so well in a recession.

and for any wishing to start 40k or fantasy try looking around for online retailers, they have an average discount of 10-20% as well as Ebay where you can cheaply purchase models that over-excited kids bought without reading any of the books.

I've doing this hobby for ten years and I remember when the tactical squad for space marines were £15 (now £25) and I find i now read through new books before making any purchases (I don't have the income to buy everything like GW thinks i do).

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
ForumSafari said:
Sir Shockwave said:
[*]BLUD REHVENS
This. Play the Blood Ravens. Extra points for an Indrick Boreale conversion.
Oddly enough at my old game, I did come across the occasional Blood Raven's army. I even had one where someone made themselves a Gabriel Angelos, and decided to count him as Cato Sicarus (this was back with the old 5th Edition book where you could do that). Sadly, no Boreale models. Which makes me slightly disappoint.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
LordMonty said:
GW publicity stunt, but they need to rethink there whole business.
Agreed especially with the fact that 3d printers are (slowly) becomming more commercially avaliable and able to do finer details, pretty soon they will be facing piracy of their products, if they keep acting as they are now (im currently not buying from my local shop due to manager is a dick, and many others are doing the same) then they may end up in serious trouble

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I like how folks are treating this like GW honestly thinks the majority of their fans will just drop 11K.

It's a publicity stunt at best.

That being said I won't deny being morbidly curious as to what a one click WAAAGH! bundle would look like.

Aeshi said:
...Also, isn't a Chapter only 1,000 marines? Why is this one 20% overmanned (probably even more so given how most of vehicles have a crew of 1-3 each)?
1000 Marines is assuming the Codex Astartes standard of 10 companies, with 10 units per company and 10 Marines per unit.
If memory serves the codex doesn't include Librarians, Honor Guard, Chaplains, Techmarines, Apothecaries, vehicles or Command units in that calculation.

I also vaguely recall reading something about the 10th company being slightly larger than normal because it's the Scout company and has a higher attrition rate.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
So let's go trough this one thing at a time, most said but still

- It's 1200 MODELS not UNITS, 1200 units would be a lot more expensive

- According to the DakkaDakka forums, if you buy the units/models individually it would set you back £8063.40 (And seeing how lost the list is I have no intentions of double-checking that) which means the bundle would save you £998,4 or about 12,38%, That is quite a bit of money saved for putting a lot of money down at once (I know I have spent more than that on the hobby throughout the 15+ years I played)

- You can't really break it down to cost per model as you have several character models with more details and vehicles (some quite large) and a book

- Of course it is not exclusively a Ultramarines pack, the models come unassembled and unpainted so you can paint them as any chapter you want, most chapters use the same units anyway and the only named models are 3 in the command unit of which 2 can be used as generic models of their type and all can be converted (and with 1200 models you WILL have a lot kibble)

Any comments complaining about its being Ultramarines sound kind of dumb if you know the least about the hobby at all and why would you be making that kind of comment if you don't

- I seriously don't think they expect to sell any of these, it is 99% PR, and it worked every single forum, blog, webpage related to miniature gaming, I know of, have posted about this and more importantly several pages who are not related have too!!
And all it cost Games Workshop was the money to put the deal together (I refuse to believe they have a single box for the whole set) and put it on the webpage

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Quazimofo said:
Hopefully their profits will decrease at such a rate that they can realize what went wrong before and fix it before dying completely. And believe me, their profits will decrease. Maybe not this year. Maybe not next. But they will decrease. You can only fire so many employees and you can only reduce overhead so much before the true problem, lack of proper advertisement and excessive prices severely limiting purchase volume of the majority of customers if not outright dissuading people from purchasing, becomes apparent.
Plus they haven't got plastic SoB (Sisters of Battle) models. All those on their site are 1-2 piece metal models, which are a pain to pose (half the fun of assembling a model). I don't think the Inquisition or new IG models are plastic either - which means mark-ups! Seriously, screw that, that's why I haven't bought anything from GW yet: if it's selling well it gets made from plastic (and sold cheaper) to increase profits as much as possible; if it's new or didn't sell well it gets made from metal and marked up so if it does sell it makes more profit. Their logic in this seems a little flawed since it's creating a self-fulfilling prophecy about what sells well.

OT: While this is cool and all (probably shouldn't have used the Ultrasmurfs for a pictures though) I seriously doubt this will sell. Which means GW are operating in their own reality or they are seriously desperate for attention and sales.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I wanted to get into W40K, but the prices for the figures are so absurd, I couldn't do it. 11K is probably what the entire chapter would cost in individual packs.
It would probably be more to buy the entire chapter in individual packs. I'm almost positive Games Workshop factored in some kind of discount due to the volume of the sale.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I cannot count the amount of things I would rather buy than their "offer" one of those things could be access to a 3D printer, like someone else mentioned above.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Already made up my own Space Marine chapter! I used it (and custom badges/banners) in Dawn of War. I even bought a few of the actual figurines to try it out and, yes, it's fun, but the prices are ridiculous and I'm not actually that interested in playing the boardgame, so I decided not to buy any more.

The 3D-printer idea is awesome, by the way. Just print out a bunch of self-designed models, have the same fun with assembling and painting, you can even use other model colours (from planes or whatever is reasonably cheap) or similar... and if the fancy strikes you, you can still play the boardgame as long as your units are recognizable and conform with the respective codex.

It was a successor chapter to the Salamanders that really indulged in flame- and plasma-based weaponry. What can I say? I love the Salamanders' concern for civilians and normal humans. They're not the most glorious of chapters but one of the most ethical ones in my eyes. The successors were based on a planet that used to be lush until its star went red giant (taking out the inner planets and roasting this one) after some Chaos meddling. In the ensuing war, cut off from reinforcements, their gene-seed had to be applied to the loyal and hardy locals (well, those that hadn't yet died or turned Chaos I mean) to stand a chance of refilling their ranks at all. But because of the need for replacements, even imperfect meldings had to be accepted at least in the beginning days of the conflict, resulting in a few inherited aberrations here and there among the chapter much later. Not to mention that their Salamanders-based gene-seed went through a bottle-neck as so many of their number died without ever managing to recover the organs, reinforcing their lack of choice when it came to using imperfect gene-seed.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Ok. So I just did a quick check, and you can actually fly from Sydney to London, pick up the army, and then fly back for cheaper than you could order it in Australia. Not only that, you'd save about $3,000 by doing it that way.

Good job GW. Good job.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
Sixcess said:
When I received the email touting this one a couple of days ago I honestly thought it was a joke, for a moment. There's something grotesque about GW pushing this ludicrous blob of plastic with a straight face, and I say that as someone who's spent a fair amount on 40K models over the last two decades.
My thought exactly.

Owner of about 100 marines here. And I find this whole offer pretty disgusting. I found it hard to put my finger on why for a few minutes, then realized how much time and effort it took me to build my own collection. Anyone but an absolute pro would take their whole life to build this blob of crap. You'd have countless identical models, and playing with it would take you a day or two to complete a single turn.

Anyone with the skill or inclination to build this, would likely have their own collection, anyone else is the kind of guy with too much money who doesn't realize what he's getting himself into. There's endless other things in this world that £7,000/$11,000 could get you. Most of them offering more fun, with a literal fraction of the effort.

Arkitext

Mar 25, 2008
Hell, let's play a game:

Name something you could buy for £7,000 / $11,000 that's better than this.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Arkitext said:
Hell, let's play a game:

Name something you could buy for £7,000 / $11,000 that's better than this.
A car! Who's next?
Also, 9500 ? on the German webpage version.