Buying my first gun.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

I had an absolute ball and it has convinced me to purchase my first gun.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
usmarine4160 said:
If you want 9mm I'd go with a Beretta 92F, kind of a longer barrel and the way the sights are positioned make it very accurate. It's a little heavy so the recoil is very manageable. Also the magazine holds 15 rounds so you have that working for you too. It's also very easy to take apart and clean.
I like the heavier feel but our by our laws we can't have a hand gun with a larger capacity than 10 rounds :(

we also can't have larger than a .38

doesn't that just make you appreciate just about every other countries gun laws just that bit more? :p

Entropyutd

Apr 12, 2010
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

Do you want a gun to compensate for a small cock or because you live in a country of criminals?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

I would get this gun [_9x5CACibjM], I heard that it's pretty bad ass

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Grant Hobba said:
usmarine4160 said:
If you want 9mm I'd go with a Beretta 92F, kind of a longer barrel and the way the sights are positioned make it very accurate. It's a little heavy so the recoil is very manageable. Also the magazine holds 15 rounds so you have that working for you too. It's also very easy to take apart and clean.
I like the heavier feel but our by our laws we can't have a hand gun with a larger capacity than 10 rounds :(

doesn't that just make you appreciate just about every other countries gun laws just that bit more? :p
http://www.berettaaustralia.com.au/beretta/pistols-1/92-a1.html

They sell it in Australia with 10-round magazines, so now you must get one. If that CZ you're looking at uses 9x19mm rounds, then the 92F uses the same ammo.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Jedoro said:
Grant Hobba said:
usmarine4160 said:

They sell it in Australia with 10-round magazines, so now you must get one. If that CZ you're looking at uses 9x19mm rounds, then the 92F uses the same ammo.

Oh mad :) I will definitely have a look into that :) Thank you!

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Liquidacid23 said:
lol i currently own 47 handguns, 13 shotguns and around 60 rifles/carbines depending on whether or not you consider changeable upper receiver rifles as multiple firearms or a single platform..and a few "collectors items" that don't fit in any of those categories....

what specifically are you looking for... hunting, home defense, target shooting etc. ?

Only target shooting, pistols for now,

I haven't had any experience with rifles, I did pretty good with the larger handguns though ubnfortunately they aren't legal in my state, so i'm pretty limited to what is actually legal here.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Grant Hobba said:
Jedoro said:
Grant Hobba said:
usmarine4160 said:

Oh mad :) I will definitely have a look into that :) Thank you!
Not a problem. Though I should add it's the 92 SERIES and not specifically the 92F. I linked you to the 92A1, which has a few improvements, such as that nice little accessory rail. Here in the states, California has a ban on guns that can hold more than 10 rounds in the magazine, so quite a few gun manufacturers will ship with 10-round mags. Anything you like, look for the manufacturer's website and try to find their Australia page or something international.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I'd personally start with something a little easier to use, a .22 is usually what kids stateside start with. But if I had to choose something besides that a 9mm Glock is a good choice, its simple and reliable.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Entropyutd said:
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

what do you guys think?

Do you want a gun to compensate for a small cock or because you live in a country of criminals?

nope, but you're so condescending and witty on the internet, I bet that confidence translates well in the real world ;)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Grant Hobba said:
what do you guys think?

Being from Australia (Victoria) I'd suggest getting a long arms license first, it's a CAT A+B in Victoria, not sure in NSW, it's far more easier to obtain and can be a useful stepping stone in moving to your handgun license, meeting guys at ranges who know what you'll need to do, firearm handling practice etc. Plus they're good fun too.

Not sure in NSW, but in Victoria, there's quite an arduous process to get a handgun, involves at least six months of pre-shoots and stuff, then you usually have to get a .22 handgun before you can move on to a larger calibre.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Shock and Awe said:
I'd personally start with something a little easier to use, a .22 is usually what kids stateside start with. But if I had to choose something besides that a 9mm Glock is a good choice, its simple and reliable.
I live in the UK, where gun laws are even more stringent than in Australia (unless you have a collector's licence, pistols are limited to 2-shot "humane killers") but friends in the US swear by Glocks for their reliability and comparatively light weight.

Although OP, your posts puzzle me: you contradict your initial choice of a .44 Magnum by saying that .38 is the ceiling for calibre. Also, don't Glock 9mm pistols, like the classic Glock 17 typically have a magazine capacity in the 17-round neighbourhood? Unless you get the subcompact Glock 26, which has 10...

I suppose the question is, what are you intending to use it for?

3 legged goat

Feb 28, 2010
If you want a gun to shoot for fun get a .22. Ammo is cheap as hell, they are quiet, no recoil, and fun to plink with. However is you do want something bigger, I would recommend a Glock.