Buying my first gun.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
Get a bunch of friends around and add red dye to the canisters and then you can have a gun fight and nobody gets hurt :)

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
My favorites to this day are the H&K USP 9mm, which was the first gun I purchased. It's light the sights are possibly one of the best I've seen and it is a monster of a handgun, and the .50AE Desert Eagle, because... well... it's a .50AE Desert Eagle, I can't legally own one yet, but I plan to change that by year's end so I can finally buy a Mark XIX.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Haha, I don't own a gun but my grandpa got my grandma a light frame .22 revolver w/ built in laser sight for Christmas last year.
You know, so she can fuck up bitches who might try to mug her.

This [http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1152&bih=745&tbm=isch&tbnid=9zzKFiS-cYFpFM:&imgrefurl=http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-941Ultralite.htm&docid=g-gMmcHkVJ0bCM&imgurl=http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus-941Ultralite/MVC-263F.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=wy9DT-WICYSWgwfB9NjfAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=237&vpy=31&dur=2402&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=164&ty=95&sig=118355737961838888800&page=1&tbnh=126&tbnw=171&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=0CEgQrQMwAQ] may be it. It's about this [http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1152&bih=745&tbm=isch&tbnid=9zzKFiS-cYFpFM:&imgrefurl=http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-941Ultralite.htm&docid=g-gMmcHkVJ0bCM&imgurl=http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus-941Ultralite/MVC-263F.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=wy9DT-WICYSWgwfB9NjfAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=237&vpy=31&dur=2402&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=164&ty=95&sig=118355737961838888800&page=1&tbnh=126&tbnw=171&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=0CEgQrQMwAQ] size

Mazza35

Jan 20, 2011
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

I had an absolute ball and it has convinced me to purchase my first gun.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?
Well if you want to get a a pistol in Australia, (for Victoria, not sure about NSW) you have to attend at least 12 pistol shoots a year, if you want an easier way to shoot shit, go for a longarms (rifles) license, you still have to get a legal reasons for wanting one, like, hunting, you live on a farm and you need to control wild animals, target shooting. Not just, I want a gun because they are cool.

I think you should get a M1911 or Glock of somesort. For rifles, you can't beat a Lee Enfield No.1 Mk I or III :)

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Hal10k said:
Potato gun.

There is simply no substitute.
Garage railgun?

You could also make a 'plasma gun'. Not a plasma gun like Halo where it shoots plasma, but it briefly turns steel wool into plasma with a powerful electrical discharge, and the resultant explosion pushes a projectile in the same way gunpowder would. All you need is some PVC pipe, steel wool, a hand crank charger (or solar if you wanna pimp it out), and a couple capacitors from some disposable cameras (you might be able to get used ones from a convenience store that does photos- the Walgreen's where I live just let me have a box full of them). All in all it will cost you maybe $10-$20 (unsure what the conversion rate is for Australia). There are plans all over the internet.

It's legal where I live, but you might want to check the laws for your city.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
Nile McMorrow said:
I support this

Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
and this persons gun suggestions.

Hal10k said:
DeadSp8s said:
Which is easiest to shoot while driving drunk? I want that one.
Again: Potato gun. I cannot emphasize this enough. They're like mortars for spuds!
I really don't see the point in buying a gun if you have no other reason than it being there. Especially as swords are much better.

i see your sord and raise you a deudly firearm

ot- get something totally sweet looking. like, something you can run around your house yelling "badow badow badow!"

'cause that'd be the first thing i would do if i had a gun.

Geeky Anomaly

Feb 19, 2011
Get the SW .38 special. Revolvers are good sidearms for first time owners. They're very easy to clean, and they have fewer moving parts than a magazine loaded firearm; so this brings the jamming probability WAY down.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Mazza35 said:
Well if you want to get a a pistol in Australia, (for Victoria, not sure about NSW) you have to attend at least 12 pistol shoots a year, if you want an easier way to shoot shit, go for a longarms (rifles) license, you still have to get a legal reasons for wanting one, like, hunting, you live on a farm and you need to control wild animals, target shooting. Not just, I want a gun because they are cool.
That said getting a CAT A+B for hunting is quite easy, you just need to purchase a Registration of Interest to Hunt Pest Animals on Crown Land from the DSE, it's like $11.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Grant Hobba said:
do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?
No - I live in the UK where guns are banned and gun crimes are barely a problem, except for hunters, police and at shooting ranges.

Once, a .88 bolt-action rifle -prone with iron sights- down a 100m range. Fired 20 shots, was great fun, hit the target 10 times and even managed to put a bullet through the same hole twice.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
No , only during military service. I have fired a lot of times at target practice with a semi-automatc rifle G3A3 and also I have made several shots with the twin anti-aircraft cannon Rheinmetall. Guns are noisy, lethal and "manly"; they have their own charm, no doubt, but in my opinion one should stay away from real guns in their everyday life as much as possible. Anything can happen.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
SmegInThePants said:
need a license for a crossbow?
Yes, sort of, in NSW (and a lot of states) you can't hunt with a crossbow, you can possess a crossbow for sporting reasons, but need to apply for a exemption permit and store it in a safe. You can hunt with a bow without a license though.

II Scarecrow II

Feb 23, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Tazzy da Devil said:
hmmm, lets see, protection because every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime while US cities are shown to have less crime when gun bans are lifted?
or because its say....pfft....a fucking gun hobby?
You're kidding right?? Despite the fact that Australia has such stringent gun laws, we also have some of the lowest gun violence. Go figure.

The US on the other has some of the highest. Who'd a thunk it??

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Grant Hobba said:
usmarine4160 said:
If you want 9mm I'd go with a Beretta 92F, kind of a longer barrel and the way the sights are positioned make it very accurate. It's a little heavy so the recoil is very manageable. Also the magazine holds 15 rounds so you have that working for you too. It's also very easy to take apart and clean.
I like the heavier feel but our by our laws we can't have a hand gun with a larger capacity than 10 rounds :(

we also can't have larger than a .38

doesn't that just make you appreciate just about every other countries gun laws just that bit more? :p
You can get clips restricted to whatever your local restrictions call for. You should probably take a close look at the barrel length laws in your area before ya start making choices. Usually with small length barrels you run into restriction laws. If your going to do mostly target shooting .22lr will keep things cheap. Even 9mm is fairly manageable. Jump out of that range and prices start to jump considerably. If your looking for a good value company look at Taurus.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Lumber Barber said:
Be a man and buy a Musket, not the wussy guns of today.
That's not a bad suggestion, pre 1901 firearms don't require a license (though revolvers vary by state).

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Not worth the money really. Real men use a pipe, spark plug and any flammable liquid to make a lemon cannon.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
tsb247 said:
Tazzy da Devil said:
Really? Am I sensing the, "Guns are evil," mentality here? It certainly seems that way.
nope, probably more the "if you have a gun, you can screw up even more!" mentality.
Because humans are not known for their good handling of responsibility and power. : D

so, don't buy one. there's nothing in life that really deserves bullets.
Including you, because having a gun makes other gun owners even more nervous.

EDIT:
also this:
Trippy Turtle said:
Not worth the money really. Real men use a pipe, spark plug and any flammable liquid to make a lemon cannon.
I agree, get a real weapon, man, not some random gun ! D:

Vryyk

Sep 27, 2010
Grant Hobba said:
If you're looking at the CZ 75 you might also check out the CZ 82.

The CZ 82 will run you two hundred USD to the CZ 75's five hundred USD price tag. The round fired by the CZ 82 is a 9x18 makarov, compared to the 75's 9x19 parabellum.

The advantage: Makarov rounds are about 30 percent cheaper.
The disadvantage: Makarov rounds have a very slight disadvantage in power and accuracy.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, the P229 and the S&W M&P 9mm are both excellent firearms, I've used both and never had any issues with jamming or inaccuracy. They'll run you somewhere around seven hundred USD though, so if money is a bit tight go with a CZ.

crotchdot

Jun 11, 2010
II Scarecrow II said:
You're kidding right?? Despite the fact that Australia has such stringent gun laws, we also have some of the lowest gun violence. Go figure.

The US on the other has some of the highest. Who'd a thunk it??
"There's no connection between having a gun and shooting someone with it, and not having a gun and not shooting someone. There have been studies made and there's no connection at all there."

- Bill Hicks