Buying my first gun.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
Really? Am I sensing the, "Guns are evil," mentality here? It certainly seems that way.

Obviously the OP would disagree with you here, and it appears many others on this thread would too. Why would anyone want a gun? The answer is quite simple. Shooting is, in fact, quite a lot of fun! Not only is shooting a competative sport, it is also sometimes necessary to own a firearm to control populations of dangerous/damaging pests, protect one's home, or even own them for the sake of collecting historical artifacts.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I would go for a .22.

A Ruger Mk. II or Mk. III is a good start. They are a little bit difficult to disassemble (I have heard), but they are the standard for beginning handgun shooters the world over.

Personally, my first handgun was a .45, but it was only because it was cheaper than the .22 I wanted. That, and I am a HUGE fan of the .45. Anyway... I would start with a .22 since it would be more practical with Australia's gun laws being what they are. I believe you could move up to a more interesting handgun once you have met the criteria to do so. Then again, I am not too familiar with the laws where you live.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
My suggestion is a Sig P250. You can get it in 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, or .45ACP. The big deal about this gun, quoted from their website: "The P250's innovative design enables the shooter to quickly remove the functional mechanism and place it into the polymer grip of his choice. This allows an immediate change in caliber and size;(subcompact, compact and full)."

That means that you can buy a 9mm, and move up to a .45 one day, without having to pay for an entirely new gun. It was specifically designed to accommodate a lot of European laws that make it difficult for an individual to own many guns; instead of owning several in several calibers and sizes, you just buy one and swap out the parts.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
DeadSp8s said:
Which is easiest to shoot while driving drunk? I want that one.
Again: Potato gun. I cannot emphasize this enough. They're like mortars for spuds!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Tazzy da Devil said:
Get a water gun, the only type of gun worth getting. Seriously, why on Earth do you want a gun?
Or a Nerf gun. It's hard to go wrong with Nerf, especially when the ammo is reusable.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
Any 9mm 1911 will be a very good target gun. I own a .45 1911, and I can't get enough of shooting it. They fit the hand very well, are inherently accurate, and, considering that they have mild recoil even with a full house .45 load, there will little recoil with the 9mm round.

Either that, or get yourself a Springfield XD 9mm or the XD-M. They take down easy (4 parts, slide, barrel, recoil spring assembly, and frame) and they clean up real nice too.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Don't shoot your eye out kid!
Shooting your eye out with a pistol doesn't work, he'd blow his brains out.

usmarine4160 said:
The funny part is more people have been killed by .22s than any other caliber.
Not really surprising, they're silent and you don't need a high caliber to kill someone.

OT: Can't really suggest any, not a gun expert. Speaking from general knowledge though, I'd go with the 9mm Glock suggestion from above - and you say you've tried it out as well so you know what you'll be handling :)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Move to America and buy what ever guy you so please.

.45s? no problem!
9mm? might as well be a water gun its so common!
.50 cal anti-tank rifle?....no seriously you can in most states! (ammo is expensive but its awesome!)

/market plug

But in all seriousness, id go with either the .38 or the 9mm so you can go target shooting without spending a shit ton of money on ammo. that and .38 revolvers are awesome and glocks are pretty good. Though if you can get a hold of a .45 have at it, colt makes the best, though Springfield is pretty damn good too.

my guns count as this:
2 12 gauge mossberg pump action shotguns for hunting and skeet shoting
.308 bolt action rifle for deer hunting
.22 rifle for fun shooting
.22 heritage revolver for fun shooting
Glock 22 (the .40 cal model)
.45 m1911 colt (i want to be buried with this magnificent gun)
.380 walther ppk (james bond gun, shoots really well)
9mm Smith and Wesson (pretty good for home and road protection
.38 special revolver
and im looking at a good .45 colt revolver or some sort of assault rifle...maby even an M1 Garand or m14.

Tazzy da Devil said:
hmmm, lets see, protection because every single country that has outlawed or heavily restricted guns has seen an increase in violent crime while US cities are shown to have less crime when gun bans are lifted?
or because its say....pfft....a fucking gun hobby?

Entropyutd said:
Grant Hobba said:
Hey guys,

I just got back from my holiday on Hamilton island, I got to have my first real go with a few different hand guns, a Glock 9mm, SW .38, SW.357 magnum and the fabled SW .44 Magnum.

I had an absolute ball and it has convinced me to purchase my first gun.

The laws are pretty stringent here (NSW Australia) so I am thinking either a CZ75 9mm, or a SW .38 special :)

what do you guys think?

do any of you own any firearms or even go shooting yourselves?
Do you want a gun to compensate for a small cock or because you live in a country of criminals?
pfft, you funny little man, everyone knows that you get a big gun to match your big cock.
people with small cocks ***** about guns because they aren't manly enough to wield one without being scared and wine on the internet.
oh you are so silly!

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I would recommend staying with a CZ, because they are remarkably accurate out of the box weapons. They are also relatively cheap. For a weapon of it's quality, you could compare it reasonably to a Glock or S&W of matching caliber. Also, their quality control is very good, and their customer service is top notch. Money saved on the pistol can go right into the other essentials; holster, extra magazines, and most importantly additional ammo.

Being your first handgun, I would stick with one of the three big rounds, 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP. This is for three reasons: Ammo of these calibers is easy to find and usually inexpenisve compared to the rarer rounds. A single factory bullet in .500S&W for instance costs around $2. Also, depending on your size/frame, you might be able to handle the .45, which will allow you to learn better control in the future. However, if you are unable to handle the considerable recoil of the .45, I'd advise staying away until you're more experienced. It will cause you to form bad habits; flinching, jerking the trigger, improper grip.

I buy and sell firearms, and if you would like any advice I will endeavor to assist.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Be a real gentleman and buy a sword, that way you can challenge people to duals over matters of honour, and declare that the duel is to first blood. Much more civilized that way.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I've got a Glock 17, it's never done me wrong.

I'd pretty much recommend it to anyone.

AntiChri5 said:
Be a real gentleman and buy a sword, that way you can challenge people to duals over matters of honour, and declare that the duel is to first blood. Much more civilized that way.
Duels with firearms are perfectly civilized unless your name is Andrew Jackson, then it was just unfair.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Not much of a gun expert, most of my experience has been hunting squirrels and game bird with a air rifle and plinking with a 22. Took a shot with an actual rifle when I was 18 and had taken all the requisite stuff to legally do so, have no clue what the caliber was but damn did my shoulder ache afterwards. I have absolutely no experience with handguns aside from how to safely handle and unload them and what my uncle (new york police officer) has told me about them.

Hal10k said:
Potato gun.

There is simply no substitute.
This, cheap to make and fun to fire. Thinking about making one and bringing it up to my grandfathers land seeing as it is just endless woods. The old guys would get a hoot out of that.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I support this

Tazzy da Devil said:
and this persons gun suggestions.

Hal10k said:
DeadSp8s said:
Which is easiest to shoot while driving drunk? I want that one.
Again: Potato gun. I cannot emphasize this enough. They're like mortars for spuds!
I really don't see the point in buying a gun if you have no other reason than it being there. Especially as swords are much better.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
What do I think about it, well it's a perfectly acceptable hobby but I prefer bow and arrow [small]Which I don't practice because I was so bad at it that the instructor suggested I'd just quit trying X_X why can't I do well at any sport?)[/small], regardless have fun but be responsible, those things are very dangerous after all.

Do I own any guns? Nope, I have enough problems as it is with people thinking I'm a criminal if I had a gun I'd probably get arrested by neighbour, though to tell the truth I don't really like guns at all but that's mostly because I've been caught in the middle of shoot-outs and seeing what they can do to a person it's not what I'd call pleasant.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
Somehow, I knew this thread would turn into another "Don't buy gun, buy sword" argument from people who don't understand that shooting is a perfectly acceptable, enjoyable, and fun hobby.