California Senator Wants Fewer Guns in Games

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stryc9 said:
Well, she wants that too, she just clearly doesn't understand how the Constitution works like all other politicians.
Well, that's clearly not true. She defended herself adequately on Constitutional precedent when grilled by the Senate.

SecondPrize said:
I think we were hoping she'd work on real guns first.
She tried. They shot her down (no pun intended). I guess this is her new direction. >.>

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
amazing. and people say that gamers live in a fake world. when actually these people are the once who live in a fake world and think stupid regulations like that would wash away the problems.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
California is a ridiculous state wherein the people keep re-electing ridiculous "representatives." Feinstein needs to be removed ASAP.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
And I want fewer politicians talking about guns in games but we can't all get what we want.

I also wouldn't mind a unicorn...just sayin.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Speaking as an outsider, I find American politics to be a complete joke and yet somewhat disconcerting, since people that are involved in it don't seem to be in on said joke.

That all being said, I'm pretty sure this won't go anywhere. It is just another old wrinkle-bag latching onto the first scapegoat she could see without her glasses on. By the looks of that photo, she has one foot in the grave, so I'm pretty sure we can just wait her out.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Finally, something democrats and republicans can agree on!

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .... ...... ........ ....... ...... ..... .... . .... .. . . . . . . . . . . .

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Entitled said:
RatherDull said:
I don't think it is the gun obsession at all.

I'm not in favor of the "Govment dun take our guns hurr durr" bit everyone in my state is spewing, but the reason these shootings keep happening is far more complex than anyone seems to realize.

If I had to point at one thing and say 'That is the reason," personally put the focus on mental health and depression. After all, there is a proven link between depression and shootings.

But state of mental health in the eyes of the public is in such a poor state. People just ignore it or assume it doesn't exist and that it's all made up. But depression is a real thing and it is not the victim's fault.
There is also a proven link between access to guns and violence.

As a matter of fact, there is even a proven link between access to guns and SUICIDE: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/risk/

Simply by being there, guns can influence what we think and what we do.

Even though OBVIOUSLY deppression is what causes suicides, just because a certain concept is a "cause", it would be a sing-cause fallacy to assume that others CAN'T be causes.
I just want to put this out here man, but Criminologist actually dont see an increase access of guns as a direct link to violence. They see a correlation between the two, but it isnt a direct link between the two.

Trust men, I seriously just learned about it this week from a Criminology course from a Criminology professor over that -exact- topic.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Don't worry; the blood of innocents isn't cheap at all. I'm sure that in the terrible future where this law is somehow passed and enforced, after about 2 more mass murders involving mentally unstable people who may or may not have played super mario world 3 for more than 15 minutes at a time at some point within their life, people will realize that regulating video games isn't helping anything.

Plus, as stated in the article, this law would be wholly asinine and incredibly difficult to get past its opponents.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Apparently, we've learned nothing from the Hayes Code and the Comics Code Authority.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...Yes, I get it, Dianne. Your grandchildren or your grandchildren's friends play video games, and they freak you out. Could you at least try to keep abreast of the fact that the age of the typical player of video games now averages out to around the mid-thirties so we can stop singling out video games in the ongoing "won't someone think about the children" drum-beat?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
But we don't want fewer real guns in the hands of people now do we?
You might want to look at the record of the woman in question. Senator Feinstein was behind the Assault Weapons Ban in the 90s and the proponent of the current one, including some of the toughest regulations out there.

I hope you were kidding, and not in the way that's most obvious, but people have been so straight up on not doing the research around these parts that my radar's fried.

Anyway, I support most of her initiatives on guns, but this one's inane.

She can take pry my shooters from my admittedly pacifistic cold, dead, arthritic, cheetos-encrusted hands!
Well I wasn't aware of that. And no I wasn't kidding. Now just to be clear, I'm not of those extremist yahoos who thinks that no one should be able to have guns ever, however I do find it incredibly stupid that they'd rather limit the fake guns in video games rather than the real guns in real life which are the ones that are actually being used to commit the shooting massacres.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yet another reason I don't like Sen. Feinstein. Her pet project(the AWB) is dead(at least for this year) and now she needs a new one, which is even more inane then the AWB was.

Good job, Sen. Feinstein*slow clap*. Good Job.

I expect the next article on her to read something like "Old lady yells at cloud".

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
You'll have to pry my fake guns from my cold, dead, virtual hands. I sure hope she decides to standardize this across the board: no more mentions of guns in music and literature and no more guns in movies.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Ahh. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
"Think of the childrens!" pariah-politics being peddled by some of the highest level figures in my government.

You go right ahead with your "digital gun restriction". It's adorably stupid, and currently, unconstitutional.

As for everyone else going "Why do you elect those idiots?"...Video-Games (in general) are *not* a hot-button topic during election season. Games really only get brought up in the interim, and always after some psycho guns down a bunch of people.

Politicos in the US are just as reactionary and exploitative as the mainstream press on such subjects, and just about as level-headed. It isn't innate idiocy, it's band-wagon pandering to the idiots who keep them in office. (and this is the real danger of low voter turnout in the US; those irrational idiots are also the most likely to vote)

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
90sgamer said:
California is a ridiculous state wherein the people keep re-electing ridiculous "representatives." Feinstein needs to be removed ASAP.
I'd say that's the entirety of the U.S. in a nutshell. After all, our presidential election came down to two of the worst candidates we could of had imho (I'm still baffled about that). Then again, you guys did vote in Schwarzenegger of all people. :p

F said:
And I want fewer politicians talking about guns in games but we can't all get what we want.

I also wouldn't mind a unicorn...just sayin.
Here you go!

NiPah

May 8, 2009
FEichinger said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Jeez, cut down the hostility. I was generalizing. Neither the entirety of Europe, nor the entirety of the US fits what I described there. But if it wasn't the majority of people respectively, the world would look differently.
Making sweeping generalizations about a country tends to cause hostility, especially when they finish reading the sweeping generalizations of an idiot politician as well.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Classic crazy Liberal that wants to control everything that people can see, own, and do. So many truly important matters that actually need talked about and dealt with and she wants to continue the "Guns are bad! Derp! They cause all the bad things! Derp!" attacks. I think any government official that wants to take time on such frivolous unimportant matters, needs to lose their pay for that year, a couple months at least.

CriticalMiss said:
'Out of touch old woman angry at vid-yo-gayums' would make a better headline. How do these people get voted in to power?
Very simple, she's a Liberal and she is from California, it isn't hard to see how?