Call of Duty: Black Ops has a Girl Character (single-player) (Dtoid)

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
I don't mind a girl in games. Actually, I love divirsity in games.

It's just that I fear people will do what they did to Kat in Reach. Make pictures and videos dedicated to her tits and butt.

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
Colonel Alzheimer said:
I swear I'll hurt someone if all of her lines revolve around how she is the girl and doesn't suck at shooting (I'm looking at you, ODST)
Thoughts exactly

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Women? In my Call of Duty?! INESCUSABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joking aside, I really hope they decide to cut her out. The only good stereotype is one that never sees the light of day...
They had a lady in CoD for and that worked out fine. Though this character is probably going to be a throw away that dies twenty minutes after her first appearance.

Or she might be a nod to the CIA agent from "Frozen Crossing."
Which might actually be cool.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Gindil said:
Dcocho said:
OMFG THERES A GIRL IN A GAME...

How the fuck is this news?
This would be a valid [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnIJ-ljctk] response from now on.

No guy would be safe.
Hah ahah - that's an awesome vid ^_^ Just imagine if our culture had evolved from a matriarchal one, rather than a patriarchal one...

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Kortney said:
Kharloth said:
Here's to hoping that she's a Canadian, we are far to unrepresented in video games.
Isn't the game based around Vietnam? If so, I doubt Canada is going to get too much of a look in.
Canadian volunteers served in Vietnam, our country never supported the war but there were still people who believed the 'Domino theory' (which actually turned out to be kind of true).

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Snotnarok said:
I'm not talking about a thrill, I'm just giving you the same thing I gave my friend who said the same thing.
Do you want to look at a guy, or a girl for 7-12 hours?
In the entirely non-sexual context of wearing full body armor and being regularly engaged in intense close quarter gun battles, my preference lies with playing as the character who seems least out of place. Anya, when last I saw her, was built like a waif. If she maintained this build while wearing power armor and keeping up with men who are easily 300 lbs of bone and muscle, I would be reminded constantly that I was playing a game with capricious and entirely arbitrary rules.

That is the reason why I care if the armor is powered or not. For the record, unless I was told it wasn't, my assumption would be that the armor probably does assist in the user's locomotion.

And, besides, between the two, Fenix has at least some amount of characterization to his credit at this point. Anya was just eye candy and a nagging voice in my ear for hours on end.
Again I really think you're trying to apply real logic to comic book stuff. The armor isn't attached to itself so there's no way it's power armor, and Fenix is wearing less of it next game.

My suggestions aren't about sexual attraction or whatever (I'm asexual and could care less)my point is they could make her fit storywise but different logic may need be applied. Anya could simply have been drafted because humanity is desperate and she did some training. Hell if they let someone as whiny as Dom be a soldier then she should have no problem *satire*.

My one hope is they don't have her clashing with a Locust in chainsaw duels like the others since the Locust are about 500 times larger and go with a more agile approach, dodge and saw.
I don't think you can tell me what I might think is a silly spectacle or not. Even in the realm of comic books you find a passing attempt to justify such things. Is "Superman gets his power from the sun" a good explanation? Nope. But at least it's an explanation.

What I require is any explanation (even if it involves waving one's hand at magic as the reason) for things that seem incredibly unlikely.

Let's put this in perspective: When I was in the Army, I was issued ballistic protection in the form of a vest with small arms protective inserts and a helmet. The vest itself could, from very specific angles, expect to withstand a single 7.62x54mm round (what you would normally consider a "sniper" round, also common round for hunting and medium machine guns) fired from 200+ meters. The same vest could also be reasonably expected to stop a single 7.62x39mm round from much closer ranges (50+ meters) or multiple .45 ACP rounds from 25meters. This armor, in total, weighed about 30 lbs and was, in a word, hilariously uncomfortable. When you include my rifle, ammunition, water and the rest of the junk I had to carry, my total load exceed 100 lbs.

In Gears of War, they are wearing armor that is withstanding numerous impacts from ranges generally well under 50m all over their body. Such a suit of armor would be incredibly heavy using any known modern material. As I pointed out, if the suit did not assist in the wearer's locomotion in any way, it makes sense that the Gears are all built like brick shithouses - they'd HAVE to be to simply move as quickly as combat requires. Anya, however, is precisely the opposite.

Thus, what I require for her presence on the field in such a piece of armor to not seem strangely out of place, is some explanation as to how she is managing such a thing. The armor might assist in the user's locomotion. There might be a "sub suit" that does the same thing and the armor simply rests on top of it. It might be a super high tech armor that weighs a fraction of modern materials while maintaining it's protective qualities. The trouble is, there is no such explanation thus far. As such, her presence on the field bugs me because she is entirely out of place in a game world populated by Dom and Cole and the rest of the meatheads.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Eclectic Dreck said:
Snotnarok said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
Snotnarok said:
I'm not talking about a thrill, I'm just giving you the same thing I gave my friend who said the same thing.
Do you want to look at a guy, or a girl for 7-12 hours?
In the entirely non-sexual context of wearing full body armor and being regularly engaged in intense close quarter gun battles, my preference lies with playing as the character who seems least out of place. Anya, when last I saw her, was built like a waif. If she maintained this build while wearing power armor and keeping up with men who are easily 300 lbs of bone and muscle, I would be reminded constantly that I was playing a game with capricious and entirely arbitrary rules.

That is the reason why I care if the armor is powered or not. For the record, unless I was told it wasn't, my assumption would be that the armor probably does assist in the user's locomotion.

And, besides, between the two, Fenix has at least some amount of characterization to his credit at this point. Anya was just eye candy and a nagging voice in my ear for hours on end.
Again I really think you're trying to apply real logic to comic book stuff. The armor isn't attached to itself so there's no way it's power armor, and Fenix is wearing less of it next game.

My suggestions aren't about sexual attraction or whatever (I'm asexual and could care less)my point is they could make her fit storywise but different logic may need be applied. Anya could simply have been drafted because humanity is desperate and she did some training. Hell if they let someone as whiny as Dom be a soldier then she should have no problem *satire*.

My one hope is they don't have her clashing with a Locust in chainsaw duels like the others since the Locust are about 500 times larger and go with a more agile approach, dodge and saw.
I don't think you can tell me what I might think is a silly spectacle or not. Even in the realm of comic books you find a passing attempt to justify such things. Is "Superman gets his power from the sun" a good explanation? Nope. But at least it's an explanation.

What I require is any explanation (even if it involves waving one's hand at magic as the reason) for things that seem incredibly unlikely.

Let's put this in perspective: When I was in the Army, I was issued ballistic protection in the form of a vest with small arms protective inserts and a helmet. The vest itself could, from very specific angles, expect to withstand a single 7.62x54mm round (what you would normally consider a "sniper" round, also common round for hunting and medium machine guns) fired from 200+ meters. The same vest could also be reasonably expected to stop a single 7.62x39mm round from much closer ranges (50+ meters) or multiple .45 ACP rounds from 25meters. This armor, in total, weighed about 30 lbs and was, in a word, hilariously uncomfortable. When you include my rifle, ammunition, water and the rest of the junk I had to carry, my total load exceed 100 lbs.

In Gears of War, they are wearing armor that is withstanding numerous impacts from ranges generally well under 50m all over their body. Such a suit of armor would be incredibly heavy using any known modern material. As I pointed out, if the suit did not assist in the wearer's locomotion in any way, it makes sense that the Gears are all built like brick shithouses - they'd HAVE to be to simply move as quickly as combat requires. Anya, however, is precisely the opposite.

Thus, what I require for her presence on the field in such a piece of armor to not seem strangely out of place, is some explanation as to how she is managing such a thing. The armor might assist in the user's locomotion. There might be a "sub suit" that does the same thing and the armor simply rests on top of it. It might be a super high tech armor that weighs a fraction of modern materials while maintaining it's protective qualities. The trouble is, there is no such explanation thus far. As such, her presence on the field bugs me because she is entirely out of place in a game world populated by Dom and Cole and the rest of the meatheads.
Okay let's get realistic about this then chum, since Gears is very scientific like reality. When you're hit in Gears of War blood sprays out of you by the gallon, thus proving their armor is highly ineffective and all the bullets actually do hit the flesh of the target. Take too many and you fall down bleeding to death from bullet trauma, but someone taps your back and you're suddenly healed up and okay.

One can only assume that this land has been bombarded with many lightmass bombs that has irradiated Sera has both infected and enhanced the Gears giving them greater muscle density more blood in their bodies and the ability to heal a damaged ally by touching their wounds. The Locust were made by man to fight the Gears since they are larger than the average man but rebelled, they gained magical abilities from their creation. I know you don't like the idea of magic but in 2 you see priests raising fallen enemies from the dead, so bare with me I'm coming to a conclusion here.

The Locust being artificial were welcomed into the arms of God and man was shunned for using it's technology to enhance themselves and the Locust were given Christ like powers to save their fellow Locust.

In conclusion, Anya is actually several times stronger than any man on Earth because she was effected too, her muscle density is several times the norm and therefor can do anything the best human could do only better. The mostly useless armor is likely there to only hold extra ammo since as I've already stated bullets go straight through and a worrying amount of blood is expelled. Things are certainly hectic on Sera, but you're right, we need logic and lo I have given it.

RobJameson

Mar 18, 2008
Korten12 said:
RobJameson said:
OMFG A WIMMENZ IN A VIDYA GAYME THERE SOOOOOOOOOOO FUCCCCCCCCCCCCKING DIVERSE AND DEY HAVE A GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET NOWLEDGE OF MODRN PROBLEMS. THIS SRRRRRRSYLY IS A TOT4LLY NEW THING THAT HS NEEEEVER BEEN DONE B4.

TREYARCH ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWL.
Troll, or just being annoying?
Trololololo lololol lolol, olololol

Anyway to the above post, magic god and realism in the argument.

The guy has a point though, a modern soldiers equipment is far heavier than a full set of medieval plate armor. It's really stupid when you see a waif of a women in a game with 34 F breasts, firstly its not at all realistic - it's extremely rare to be very thin and well endowed in the chest region and its just immature, they are always perfectly clean and well kept rarely dirty or greasy nor does their hairstyle ever change from a neatly style look (here's looking at you anya, well at least she isn't the model at a fashion show that she was in Gears 2)

Huge breasts long hair and an bulemic models figure aren't the best in a warzone I mean maybe when games stop making women sexualized in a game rather than just having them in I'll applaud however Anya has tight armor to show her figure and wears alot less than other characters in the game which doesn't make sense - why is she the only one to remove her armor which no soldier would ever do, just on a side note they clearly use a LOT of mechanical equipment (chainsaws on their guns...) and long hair and moving chains don't mix well.

Also in reply, why would they wear horribly bulky armor which looks very restrictive to carry ammo? Webtex vests and MOLLE holders do that job just as well without being 1/2 foot thick and made of metal. They also have no magazine holders whatsoever and the theory doesn't make sense. Even if her muscle density was abitrarly higher (why is it, I don't get it magical radiation!?) so are the gears hence it doesn't have any value, the baseline is set by the mean and Dom/Fenix all grunt and moan when they run around when they are beefcake so why would Anya who looks to have about 0% muscle mass and is clearly the least built up by far be able to carry it.

I mean, seriously? Vasquez in Aliens was by far the best example of a female action character, it was believable, she was kick-ass and it was awesome. Imagine if she looked like Anya in the Gears 3 Trailer - lipstick on and complexion fine, hair perfectly clean and styled carrying a rifle the size of her abdomen.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
A GIRL?! HERE!? IN GAMING LAND!?!?!?!? Why what an absurd notion sir! Whatever next? Ladies playing sports! Hohohohoho.

Blobpie said:
Wasn't there a girl in cod 4... you know the cobra pilot?
Yes and in stereotypical "manly" american fashion you had to rescue the damsel in distress from her broken down car....i mean helicopter.

Not that it mattered, you both get nuked 30 seconds later...

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Medal of Honor Underground did it, and didn't have to turn her into Titty McCatsuit to sell. Imagine that. A girl in a war game who's not there for the wank material.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Ever notice how of the very few female characters featured in the Call of Duty series, they pretty much all end up dead?

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Korten12 said:
From Destructoid:http://www.destructoid.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-has-a-lady-in-it

Article Below---

I'm talking about the one in the middle.

See what I did there? I implied that because Lance Bass and Joe Fatone are well groomed and much better looking that I am, that you might mistake them for women. That's what they call "hilarious."

Enough of this side-splitting comedy; the news here is that Emmanuelle Chiriqui (pictured above) is going to do some voice acting for Call of Duty Black Ops. She's set to play an agent who "will be known by a set of numbers instead of a name." This numbered person will reportedly act "mysterious, elegant, sexy (and) with a hint of playful."

I'm interested to see how they can fit someone like that into a game that looks like a cross between The Deer Hunter and James Bond. I'm also interested to hear what her number will be. Numbers provide so much potential for rollicking comedy. I have a few gems I could lay on you, but I think I'll hold off. Instead, why don't you impart onto me your numerical comedy stylings in our comments section below.

--------------------------------------------------------

Well she sounds a bit sterotypical for a girl character in a game like this, but maybe since they said that they want to make characters people care about, maybe just maybe she could be a good sterotpyical character. Well a more diverse cast can't hurt the game, atleast not normally.
that opening joke was lost on me until i clicked the link and saw the picture.

anyway.

WHAT IS THIS?! are so desperate for token female characters we're putting them in a Vietnam War game?

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
So people are getting upset because there's a female character in the game? Oh dear...

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Can someone say The Smurfette Principal? [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSmurfettePrinciple]

Metalhandkerchief said:
So while everyone is asking if Treyarch are "focusing on the right things", trying to restore CoD back to something you shouldn't be locked up for (CoD 5) playing or made fun of for enduring (MW2) - they blurt out that their clever recipe for success with a VIETNAM BASED GAME is putting a woman in it.

Remind me again why Treyarch are still around?
Because they do research, bro!

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Meh.

Like others have mentioned, CoD 2, 3, and 4 had women in them, and CoD: Finest Hour even had a female Russian sniper you played as during a portion of the Soviet campaign. Black Ops having a woman wouldn't be too much of a stretch for the series, despite what some would think.